The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

By all accounts a poor performance, and undoubtedly a poor result. Way too early to be throwing the toys out of the pram though. Lots to work on if we are to have any kind of success this season.  Fitness and organisation, effort and enterprise. Without world beating talent, it will only get us so far, but it is where we are.

38 minutes ago, maxywell said:

everybody is giving QOS the big build up but they're a mid table first division team and one that we should be beating with even an average performance.

You do realize weve just lost today to a team a division BELOW QOS yes?

We SHOULD steamroll all 4 teams in this group, today shows what happens when you fail to respect your opponents AND when you fill your team with cloggers barely able to complete even basic football skills

A bit of overreaction to yesterday's admittedly poor result.  At this stage of the season smaller clubs are usually that bit fitter than the top clubs and that is a telling factor.  Some of today's picks hadn't even played a full 90 minutes.  Maybe our pre season preparation was lacking or inadequate? Unlike most in our support I have no problem in us playing the long ball game as we're not going to achieve much success trying to play open expansive football (not my favourite style admittedly).  Yes, I suppose there's a middle way.   The problem just now is that we're not playing the long ball game very well.  Firstly we're not getting decent crosses into the opposition box and secondly we're not winning aerial balls and getting them on target.  Still early days.  

I suspect Kipre and Hartley are far from being match fit and their recent suspension won't have helped.  I felt at the time it was wrong not to challenge Cedric's red card and I still think so.  Although not at today's game it seems to me that the midfield might have been very culpable in not aiding and abetting the strikers and shielding our defence, but those who were there will know better.

Tuesday's game will be important and at this stage of the season Queens will prove very dangerous opponents indeed.  They'll also now know how to play us.  I'd love them to be in the position of knowing that we'll play the long high ball but also knowing they can't defend against it.  

Not good enough yesterday. But not overly worried as long as we are improvement on Tuesday. 

Last year we started well against Queens Park, beat Morton handsomely but it became a formality after they got Harkins sent off in the first half,  struggled to beat Edinburgh and then only beat Berwick 1-0 in a poor game.

Obvious from early on in the game that Hartley wasn’t match fit when their no 9 skipped by him . He also did the same to Kipre in the first half . The second half it was even more apparent . Is it a crisis ? . No way . Hartley mentioned in his interview he was fit but not match fit so very honest response . Just hope that injury/lay off hasn’t cost him a yard . That would be concerning . As for Kipre yesterday . He looked like he’s never played before . Shocker of a performance from a highly rated player but again given game time to sharpen up . So let’s get the team out as close to one that beat Edinburgh for QOS game . Can’t afford to use this game to get players match fit . PS was Campbell suspended or injured ?. Anybody know the situ with Bigi. Surely he’s good enough to play in that game yesterday

19 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's hard to imagine how bad Kipre and Hartley were if you weren't here. I hope with Hartley it's just fitness or even poor attitude and noting to do with his injury but he actually looked done today. Glaciers have moved faster.

The rest should be more familiar.

Prehistoric long ball tactics.

Non existent midfield sans Campbell

Atrocious youth development

Here comes the new season, same as the old season. I usually have people lining up to disagree with me but if the super fans were actually here today how can you disagree with any of the main points I've been making for a year now?

Agree re youth developments 

Tuesday night 5-0 up at halftime and cruising 

If ever there was a time to give young Turnbull 45 minutes with no pressure that was it.

I saw bigi in the main stand he did travel with the squad. So must be Robinson choice not to play him. 12 hours on and I am still concerned enough about that midfield. Our playstyle just totally ignores them as almost every outball was a diagonal from the defence. I wish I had counted them now as it was so predictable it was comical at times. i noted quite a lot of comments about that from the fans who travelled during and after the game. The game plan seems to be to use the midfield to break down any attacking play from the opposition and use our defence to play diagonal all over the place as our preferred attacking response. Well thats how it looked yesterday as a lot of the game was over the heads of the midfield.

In retrospect I wonder how much of the game plan was thrown out when Dunne got injured and McHugh was moved into central defence. Also subbing McHugh when he seemed to be the only settled central defensive player we had was a strange move especially when they were running rings round Hartley and Kipre shortly thereafter and they had their best attacking spells of the game when he went off.

Hopefully tuesday sees a much more professional response from a Premier league team against lower division opposition and we control this game. Not just in the first half Mr Robinson lets actually have a plan for the 2nd half of a game as well.

With Tanner still injured Bigi and Campbell are the best passers in the squad, particularly Bigi so he merits a place on the merits of his Final display alone.

I can’t imagine Robinson doesn’t see the flaws in the system but he also needs to be honest enough to at least try a plan B (a midfield that passes as well as breaks up play)

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The dilemma at this stage of the season is having to choose between youngsters and giving new signings that aren't fit yet some more game time.

Or play a youngster find out that he can compete at this level and is a better option than some of so said new signings 

Alan Campbell was not quoted at start of last season got his chance took it with both hands and kicked on with every game he played

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Compete at Edinburgh City level? Turnbull has probably played against better opposition for the U20s in the Irn Bru cup (or whatever it was called)  

So why not play him ??   Boy is hungry to show what he can offer the 1st team 

Think we can all agree there was not much creativity in our midfield last season

Turnbull sits on the bench for 90 minutes then we go down to Stranraer and McHugh is back in midfield and Turnbull not even on the bench 

Think this is what Ya Bezzer is getting at re youth development 

Because, as Robinson said after the match, he is already struggling to bring a number of his senior players up to full fitness and doesn't have enough competitive game time to achieve even that.

Playing Turnbull in a meaningless 2nd half isn't nearly as useful as getting a new signing closer to full match fitness. And I say that as someone who wants to see our youngsters develop as much as anyone.

Four of our new signings that are reportedly lacking fitness (rather than quality?) failed to get off the bench yesterday. 

Our transfer policy this summer to strengthen 12-18 goes against the model of the club imo as it limits the development of Turnbull, Hastie, MacLean, Maguire, Livingstone & co. 

• Like 1

With Tanner still injured Bigi and Campbell are the best passers in the squad, particularly Bigi so he merits a place on the merits of his Final display alone.
I can’t imagine Robinson doesn’t see the flaws in the system but he also needs to be honest enough to at least try a plan B (a midfield that passes as well as breaks up play)
Signing Sammon seemed to signal that Plan B will just be Plan A all over again

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Our transfer policy this summer to strengthen 12-18 goes against the model of the club imo as it limits the development of Turnbull, Hastie, MacLean, Maguire, Livingstone & co. 

Robinson continually parroting this 12-18 nonsense seems like him covering himself in case he's signed more duds.

Robinson likes big, strong players and plays direct football, that’s not going to change as he seems to think that’s the most effective use of a limited budget.  We won’t be signing creative players and playing pretty passing football with him in charge and this season will be exactly the same as last season style wise so we might as well accept it until he’s either offered another position or is sacked. Not saying people need to like it but that’s just the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

So why not play him ??   Boy is hungry to show what he can offer the 1st team 

Think we can all agree there was not much creativity in our midfield last season

Turnbull sits on the bench for 90 minutes then we go down to Stranraer and McHugh is back in midfield and Turnbull not even on the bench 

Think this is what Ya Bezzer is getting at re youth development 

Has anybody considered the fact that if SR though the u21 players everybody keeps mentioning to get their chance were good enough then why would he bring anybody in and waste money the club does not have.

Simple fact is they are not ready for it and/ or up to the standard required for the premiership, they may be at some point but obviously SR and the coaching team think not now.

If the club gets 2 regular 1st team starters from the u21s then that would be a good result, but it does not detract from the fact that the majority of them are not premiership standard and never will be.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Has anybody considered the fact that if SR though the u21 players everybody keeps mentioning to get their chance were good enough then why would he bring anybody in and waste money the club does not have.

Simple fact is they are not ready for it and/ or up to the standard required for the premiership, they may be at some point but obviously SR and the coaching team think not now.

If the club gets 2 regular 1st team starters from the u21s then that would be a good result, but it does not detract from the fact that the majority of them are not premiership standard and never will be.

Well said.

Just because they are our young players, does not automatically mean they should be in the team, unless their training and match play deserves it.  He and the management team see them in training every day. None of the keyboard managers do!

Campbell made it into the team despite being young, because his play merited it! If Robinson didn’t like young players, Campbell wouldn’t have made it into the team.  Simples. 

The truth is that none of the current crop are good enough.......YET.

27 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

And it's the same for Bigi?