Season 2018-19 home and away kit thread

underboyleheating

Better pictures on the official page. Home top has 1886 in shadow underneath the badge and away strip has vertical stripes. Also official site references a black away kit, is this the 3rd strip they are talking about?? I really like the away top not fussed about home strip.

UPDATE: No mention of black strip on official page now?

On first impression I’m reasonably happy with both kits. The away is very A.S. Roma who are masters of the classy C&A kit . I’m not 100% sold on the thin claret collar on the home top and I’m slightly disappointed it’s not a full claret hoop (or not that I can tell). I n my opinion claret socks with an amber turnover would have suited the away kit rather than all amber.

41 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

On first impression I’m reasonably happy with both kits. The away is very A.S. Roma who are masters of the classy C&A kit . I’m not 100% sold on the thin claret collar on the home top and I’m slightly disappointed it’s not a full claret hoop (or not that I can tell). I n my opinion claret socks with an amber turnover would have suited the away kit rather than all amber.

Yes, hard to tell at the mo if it's just the half-hearted (aka pusillanimous) advertising band or an actual hoop but the strip of two years ago had a slight break in the hoop under the oxters.

Probs just the "affix sponsor's name here" band though.

Don't mind the Roma FC-looking second strip and retro MFC script at all but, being basically C&A, it doesn't really solve a clash, which is why a mainly white strip with claret and amber facings was always a good idea.

On the bright side, you could be a Bradford City fan tonight.....

• Like 1

Just had a look at them on the official site and I like them even less. I really dislike the collar on the home but what’s going on with the collar on the away???

It looks like they’ve done one of those mock collars (like the old Scotland diadora number) but then decided that that wasn’t naff enough, so added a proper collar....that was too short. The result just looks wrong to me. It’s a shame because I like the stripe.

The shorts on the away are bit ??? aswell.....they look like the hems hanging out.

The claret striping on the home is cool but the embossed 1886 just looks tacky.

Home top is bland, boring and instantly forgettable, the away is good but would be a lot better with a proper badge, the MFC looks like a 3 year old has been let loose with a felt tip pen, oh and once again the shirt is spoiled by a sponsors logo. Why can't we have a sponsor free option.

15 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

...the MFC looks like a 3 year old has been let loose with a felt tip pen...

Thanks for the compliment, however, I can assure you that no felt tip pens were harmed when I was commissioned to redraw the retro script font for the club. B-) 
With your in-depth critique I assume you have a degree in typography/graphic design? :wink:

DgTu0kHXUAUxUEF.jpg

• Like 1

Don't worry, ubh, when I win the Euro lottery and take over the club, you'll be given the lifetime strip designer gig (under executive supervision).

Other priorities: extend main stand to fullest extent.

Remove  yella paint splashes on concrete wherever they occur in the stands .

Roll and black pudding option in all club catering outlets.

It's a funny old game, Saint.

• Like 1

Pretty solid efforts both although at first glance the use of words like "unique" left me a little puzzled.  The close ups perhaps reveal a little more as to why that could be said but I can still see some close similarities to some kits we've had in the past. 

The home kit puts me in mind of the Xara effort around 99'00, which I really liked. I can understand why some people don't particularly like white shorts with an amber top. I personally think if you are going to go with white shorts they "blend in" better if the shirt has white, or at least has some white in the collar and cuffs and I think that might have been worth having here.  The 1886 I think is a decent idea but placed where it is just looks odd and arguably detracts from the look of the shirt.   But when all's said and done the main box of an amber shirt with a hoop/band has been ticked.

The away kit has me thinking of another Xara kit from around 2006 or 2007 which was similarly largely claret with some amber trim. It's a style that has worked well with us and this is no different.

18 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Thanks for the compliment, however, I can assure you that no felt tip pens were harmed when I was commissioned to redraw the retro script font for the club. B-) 
With your in-depth critique I assume you have a degree in typography/graphic design? :wink:

DgTu0kHXUAUxUEF.jpg

Critiques are always better when they are straightforward and to the point, no disrespect but the lettering is honking, starts off well the m is ok , but I can only assume you were pished or falling asleep as the other 2 are all over the place.

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Critiques are always better when they are straightforward and to the point, no disrespect but the lettering is honking, starts off well the m is ok , but I can only assume you were pished or falling asleep as the other 2 are all over the place.

I can assure you I was wide awake and completely sober. The monogram is a copy of a bespoke font installed in the old 1960s/70s stitching machines used by Umbro. So if you don’t like the style/font blame them, not me.  I was merely copying the style of the time. 

15 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I can assure you I was wide awake and completely sober. The monogram is a copy of a bespoke font installed in the old 1960s/70s stitching machines used by Umbro. So if you don’t like the style/font blame them, not me.  I was merely copying the style of the time. 

Was going to say it looks just like the lettering on the first unhooped jersey in 1968 (?).

The older you get, everything becomes nicely retro.

1 hour ago, Gadgey said:

Just had a look at them on the official site and I like them even less. I really dislike the collar on the home but what’s going on with the collar on the away???

It looks like they’ve done one of those mock collars (like the old Scotland diadora number) but then decided that that wasn’t naff enough, so added a proper collar....that was too short. The result just looks wrong to me. It’s a shame because I like the stripe.

The shorts on the away are bit ??? aswell.....they look like the hems hanging out.

The claret striping on the home is cool but the embossed 1886 just looks tacky.

Is that not the same collar as last seasons white top, also the home collar looks the same as the  grey and black shirt, also from last season.

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

As a fellow designer, I think it's magic mate.

5 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

DgTu0kHXUAUxUEF.jpg

What does MJC stand for? Or is it a homage to the guy on here?

• Like 1