Season 2018-19 home and away kit thread

underboyleheating

Does any one know what the writing on Hartley’s left hip says? 

I’m in the “not instantly in love, don’t overly dislike them” camp. After the big build up from the club I thought they’d be more “unique” 

also undecided on the 1886 on the home top.....seems weird 

9 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Is that not the same collar as last seasons white top, also the home collar looks the same as the  grey and black shirt, also from last season.

They are different but yeh, I think they’re maybe a variation on a theme. The home one might grow on me but the away collar is the waste of an otherwise very nice shirt

The home one is a pretty heavy comedown from last season.

It's fine but they absolutely nailed last season's so for me this one suffers in comparison and there are wee things I keep seeing in it that I'd change. Nothing major but a claret trim on a crew neck rather than the cut out they've used and the same sort of trim on the cuffing on the sleeves would have finished it off nicely IMO.

I still maintain that white shorts don't go with an amber shirt but I'm guessing we've gone with that because we've got claret shorts with the away kit so it's better than an all amber job. 

I'm all about the away though, largely because I like Roma kits and I also like the fact they've so openly taken that as an inspiration. So kudos for that.

As for the 'unique' patter I think it's another case of people reading far too much into things and going wild with their expectations. Personally I just took 'unique' to mean bespoke detail so the stuff like the 1886 deboss and the detail on the claret band ticks that box. It seemed clear we weren't planning on doing anything radical.

9 hours ago, Tamwell said:

As a fellow designer, I think it's magic mate.

Thank you Tamwell, and as a fellow designer I am sure you realise the time involved in creating a monogram font from scratch that had its roots in the 60s/70s. This font no longer exists so it’s not as simple as selecting it and typing MFC into Adobe Illustrator. It had to be redrawn from old photographs and made to look like a proper font. I’m not the best designer in the world, however, I have always had pride  in my work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Thank you Tamwell, and as a fellow designer I am sure you realise the time involved in creating a monogram font from scratch that had its roots in the 60s/70s. This font no longer exists so it’s not as simple as selecting it and typing MFC into Adobe Illustrator. It had to be redrawn from old photographs and made to look like a proper font. I’m not the best designer in the world, however, I have always had pride  in my work.

Yep good job mate, I like it.

3 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

The font probably does not exist for a good reason i.e. it was horrible, would it not have been simpler and easier to choose a similar modern example, and use that for typing into the design software,  maybe then it would read as "MFC" and not MJC ,( oh and the letters in a straight line would have been much better) :nod:

11 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The font probably does not exist for a good reason i.e. it was horrible, would it not have been simpler and easier to choose a similar modern example, and use that for typing into the design software,  maybe then it would read as "MFC" and not MJC ,( oh and the letters in a straight line would have been much better) :nod:

You are missing the point. It was produced to replicate our first ever shirt badge, so using an existing font would have defeated its intended purpose. Also I don’t remember ever seeing a “J” with a crossbar.  Now that would be odd.

So how long have you been a typographer for? :wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

I certainly do realise it. From experience I know you can't please everyone all of the time too, of course. :lol:

The home is basically a traditional Motherwell strip without any unnecessary gimmicks - except for the collar which spoils it a bit.  Either make it a V neck or a scoop neck, the hybrid design just doesn't look good.  Overall though I like it outwith the collar.

I'm sure the away top will fly out the shop but is completely pointless as a 2nd kit.

2 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

I certainly do realise it. From experience I know you can't please everyone all of the time too, of course. :lol:

Yes it would be a strange world if we all agreed on everything. However, before I even started the MFC 125 project I consulted with a few designers who are at the top of their game and highly respected within their field. I also contacted Umbro for some information about the original font. They all gave me positive feedback on the recreation and that’s all the encouragement I needed. Some people get it and some people don’t. Just the way of the world I suppose. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

As much as the away is class just me that thinks it would be better with the proper badge.

Many seem to think that but I am not one of them. The Motherwell badge (which I love dearly) is on everything including the training kits and leisurewear. I think it is a great idea to go back in the past and recreate the lettering from one of my all time fav strips.

As it happens I think Puma was one of the poorest kit makers in that their quality was absolute mince. A big company but the cheapest materials however they did pull one out of the bag with the 125 anniversary strip which I still wear and is a belter. As UBH will know it also had the MFC lettering identical to the new away top. That is the one for me. Only irritant is the collar. Not sure what they were trying to do. Would have preferred the round collar on its own. It is like they have 2 collars on the one top.

Hopefully both will sell well. 

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Many seem to think that but I am not one of them. The Motherwell badge (which I love dearly) is on everything including the training kits and leisurewear. I think it is a great idea to go back in the past and recreate the lettering from one of my all time fav strips.

As it happens I think Puma was one of the poorest kit makers in that their quality was absolute mince. A big company but the cheapest materials however they did pull one out of the bag with the 125 anniversary strip which I still wear and is a belter. As UBH will know it also had the MFC lettering identical to the new away top. That is the one for me. Only irritant is the collar. Not sure what they were trying to do. Would have preferred the round collar on its own. It is like they have 2 collars on the one top.

Hopefully both will sell well. 

I have a feeling the away kit will be one of the biggest sellers in recent times. The guy in the club shop told me last seasons black/grey was a very big seller and this on is a hell of a lot better and actually uses the clubs colours. The only thing I would change would be the collar 

On 6/23/2018 at 11:08 AM, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'm sure the away top will fly out the shop but is completely pointless as a 2nd kit.

I wouldn’t be so sure as quite a few teams have already opted for a white away kit this season e.g. Hearts. The top will come in useful against them.

37 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I wouldn’t be so sure as quite a few teams have already opted for a white away kit this season e.g. Hearts. The top will come in useful against them.

Surely the point of a change strip is it doesn't clash with the other team's home strip. Seems daft when we have to rely on the other team wearing their change strip.

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Why do some fans want to copy the Roma kit? Whats so special about it?  We should be ourselves. 

It’s primarily down to the Italian fashion sense. The perception is that they are more stylish in Rome than North Lanarkshire. To be fair their kit is always pretty well designed.

I was so excited to see the new strips for this season but to me there both honking. Away strip is barely passable but the home top is an abomination. whats goin on with that neck?!

Past few years we have had some brilliant tops, this year i cant see me buying any of them, mibbe the away top will grow on me more. Really hope theres a surprise third top not yet announced.