Pre season Friendlies

supermarv

Looking at tonight's team lineup 

IMG_20180712_190707.thumb.jpg.c8ab8edc230a12d8c9a1a6fcb6c6741b.jpg

It struck me that be it 352 or 442, almost certain McHugh would be playing centre back again. Unless we're playing Tait in a back three for some unknown reason. So that's McHugh in a back three or four with four centre midfielders on the bench. Anyone think we have too many midfielders.. ?

Looking at tonight's team lineup 
IMG_20180712_190707.thumb.jpg.c8ab8edc230a12d8c9a1a6fcb6c6741b.jpg
It struck me that be it 352 or 442, almost certain McHugh would be playing centre back again. Unless we're playing Tait in a back three for some unknown reason. So that's McHugh in a back three or four with four centre midfielders on the bench. Anyone think we have too many midfielders.. ?
Started Donnelly McHugh Dunne as a back 3 with Tait and Frear as wing backs. Were decent in 1st half totally dominated. Frear saw a lot of the ball tried also to mix it up as well as the long diagonal. Second half disjointed after all the subs.

Too early to make a judgement on the new guys, none stood out either as great or terrible, looked still short of match sharpness. Decent work out.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just back in from a sunny East End Park. 

The Manager says it is all about getting minutes under their belt and match fitness and he seems happy enough. The opposing Manager seemed impressed with our pressing style and physical presence. So probably should not read too much into it - but I felt it was rather mundane and we huffed and puffed a lot without playing too much football.

Thought the new keeper looked composed and had a good save second half as well as good positioning in box to snuff out any threats around edge of the box. 

Apart from that Scott again looked OK with a short cameo. Bigi did what Bigi does which is come on and play some nice passes. Cedric looked like he was still on holiday but I would forgive him almost anything. 

Lookinf forward to the competitive games starting next week. 

• Like 1

Aye, very much a pre-season friendly. A couple of really nice first touches from Gorrin and Rose to pull down a high ball, and a few nice passing moves from Bigi and Turnbull, but little else to shout about.

I don’t remember us even registering a shot on target...

Managed to go along to Dunfermline game tonight, first of all I know it was a "friendly" but it was bloody awful game to watch, defensively we appeared reasonable ( impressed with Gillespie in goal, not that he had much to do, but appears to be a confident keeper), midfield were not creative enough for me, but what worries me was the lack of genuine goal scoring opportunities, Main, Bowman and Johnstone were very ineffective, the bright spot was James Scott when he came on and looked more dangerous than our other forwards put together and was only on for the last 10-15 minutes of the game.

Need to remember that these days, games like this aren't like friendlies in the old days (of a couple of years ago) that came at the end of pre-season training. And they were bad enough to watch.

There's a lot of double sessions and running at this point of the programme. Speed work and sharpness activities tend to come after that. Much like last season, we won't know much about how we're shaping up until the league kicks off.

9 hours ago, fat_tony said:

Aye, very much a pre-season friendly. A couple of really nice first touches from Gorrin and Rose to pull down a high ball, and a few nice passing moves from Bigi and Turnbull, but little else to shout about.

I don’t remember us even registering a shot on target...

Ah but we put a lot of crosses into the box according to SR ,that stat only counts if we put the ball in the net need another forward although young Scott looked promising 

Ah but we put a lot of crosses into the box according to SR ,that stat only counts if we put the ball in the net need another forward although young Scott looked promising 

Agreed, although he seemed to make the wrong decision almost every time he had the ball. But it's 1) pre-season and 2) he's what, 17? Enough to see a bit of something about him though. Certainly did well in his appearances last season. 

Like you say, it does feel like we need a bit extra up top.

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

Agreed, although he seemed to make the wrong decision almost every time he had the ball. But it's 1) pre-season and 2) he's what, 17? Enough to see a bit of something about him though. Certainly did well in his appearances last season. 

Whatever happened to the did we made for Simon Murray at Hibs

Is he the forward thar was being talked about ??

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

I miss the Jim Gannon days when he'd say we're bringing in a keeper and another midfielder on Friday and on Friday we'd announce the new keeper and midfielder. He might have been a borderline sociopath, but he could sign a player.