Post Motherwell careers

CoF

Belgium seem to be in with a decent shout of going far in the World Cup and watching Martinez' interview tonight got me thinking - who do you think has gone on to achieve the most in the game after coming to Fir Park?  

Boyd did win a few league titles and 72 caps. I doubt there are many ex 'Well players that matched that many international appearances. (He even played in World Cup Finals and Euro Finals - remember those?). But I agree it's a drop off from the Lambert, McLair, McAllister level of success.

Obviously Lambert's success in a Champions League final is the pinnacle of the club game, but if we're talking post-Motherwell careers and sustained success, I can't see a case for anyone above Brian McClair.

• Like 1

Circumstances meant he perhaps never quite got the level of the McClair's and Lambert's but Joe McBride is perhaps a "near miss".

Prolific with Motherwell, went to Celtic, got capped for Scotland and was top scorer in Scotland the season they won the European Cup. Sadly for him he got injured prior to Christmas and never recovered in time to make their European Cup team, nor apparently to the same level he was at previously.

13 minutes ago, Al B said:

Obviously Lambert's success in a Champions League final is the pinnacle of the club game, but if we're talking post-Motherwell careers and sustained success, I can't see a case for anyone above Brian McClair.

The biggest difference for me is McClair only had a couple of seasons with us, whereas McAllister was more of a Motherwell "product".  When you saw either of them play, however, there was no doubting they were destined for greater things. (McClair single-handedly beating the OF in a week is still one of my highlghts of following this team).

There was a great article on McClair in The Scotsman a few weeks ago (even underboyleheating might approve of the gambling site he endorses - 50 % of proifts go back to supporters). He has turned into a bit of a hipster, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

The biggest difference for me is McClair only had a couple of seasons with us, whereas McAllister was more of a Motherwell "product".  When you saw either of them play, however, there was no doubting they were destined for greater things. (McClair single-handedly beating the OF in a week is still one of my highlghts of following this team).

There was a great article on McClair in The Scotsman a few weeks ago (even underboyleheating might approve of the gambling site he endorses - 50 % of proifts go back to supporters). He has turned into a bit of a hipster, though.

Their Motherwell careers were both before my time so I only know their records down south, purely basing it on what they have done post-Fir Park.

It's quite strange to be talking like this when my only first-hand experience of Brian McClair as a Motherwell player puts him firmly in the Top 5 worst I have ever seen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Al B said:

Their Motherwell careers were both before my time so I only know their records down south, purely basing it on what they have done post-Fir Park.

It's quite strange to be talking like this when my only first-hand experience of Brian McClair as a Motherwell player puts him firmly in the Top 5 worst I have ever seen!

Assuming that was the 2nd time around.  McClair himself said that was a disaster and he was absolutely useless. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Assuming that was the 2nd time around.  McClair himself said that was a disaster and he was absolutely useless. 

It’s a shame that for Motherwell fans of my generation he will be remembered as a guy who was dreadful for Motherwell, pretty disappointing for Scotland and played in an era before the wall to wall coverage of the EPL so was apparently good for Man Utd.

Interesting article on McClair. He seems to be a decent guy so good luck to him. Pat " beret and NME" Nevin still sounds like a dick though.

He was an obvious talent during his first spell with us. The decision to sell him for £75k to Celtic beggars belief. The people running our club at that point in time were short-sighted, clueless and basically shite.

That barely beats even Stephen Pearson's post-Motherwell career, let alone the guys mentioned above.

Brian McClair has:

1 Scottish league title

1 Scottish Cup

4 English Prem titles

2 FA Cup winners medals

1 League Cup winners medal

1 European Cup Winners Cup medal

1 European Super Cup medal

30 International Caps

471 appearances for Man United.

I genuinely can't think of anyone else that comes even close, when you lay it out like that he's actually MASSIVELY under-rated when it comes to listing "The Greats" of our country, let alone our club.