• Allan Campbell
    • Curtis Main
    • Andy Rose
    • Conor Sammon
    • Liam Donnelly
    • Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin
    • Danny Johnson
    • Null Vote

Frear is my pick, set up 2 goals, puts some great crosses into the box every game,  don't ask him to win 50/50s or defend as that's not his style, get him to attack and put a cross in that's where he's an asset.    Gorrin also changed the game as we finally got a grip of the midfield when he was on. 

Frear had a decent last 20 minutes but he was poor for the first 70. His delivery in the first half was poor and his reluctance to take his man on when he is 1 v 1 is very frustrating. Thought it was telling that when he finally went past his man for the first time in the second half there was an audible cheer from our support. He thereafter went on to have a very good end to the game. Incredibly frustrating player to watch when you eventually get a glimpse of what he is capable of. 

Frear had a decent last 20 minutes but he was poor for the first 70. His delivery in the first half was poor and his reluctance to take his man on when he is 1 v 1 is very frustrating. Thought it was telling that when he finally went past his man for the first time in the second half there was an audible cheer from our support. He thereafter went on to have a very good end to the game. Incredibly frustrating player to watch when you eventually get a glimpse of what he is capable of. 
Wingers always tend to divide supports as generally they are not consistent and the standard of full back they face will vary.

I think if Frear doesn't get the ball at the right angle or the full back and/or other cover is well positioned he is reluctant to take him on and potentially lose possession, and I can almost hear the moans if that happens.

No matter how good the winger is and how bad the full back is he is not going to skin him every time, and while Cadden and Tait work together well on the right side Frear seems more isolated on the left and therefore we are more vulnerable if he does lose possession, hence I think his reluctance at times to take the full back on unless he feels cover is behind.

That said he had a great run and shot in the first half, and as the full back tired he certainly did start taking him on more as 2nd half went on, and successfully.

I think he is a big player for us and when you see him laying on a goal like Sammons and scoring a hat trick I do understand the frustration it doesn't happen more often, but it ain't static dustbins he is playing against and that has an effect also.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Too many are describing Frear as a winger here. He's playing wing back. If a winger in a 442 or 451 takes a man on and loses possession then there's a full back behind him to cover. Frear doesn't have that luxury. It would be slightly different if Dunne was left side of the back three as he's naturally left sided and quick enough to get out and cover. At the minute if Frear loses possession there's only a slow right footed central defender behind him...

33 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Wingers always tend to divide supports as generally they are not consistent and the standard of full back they face will vary.

I think if Frear doesn't get the ball at the right angle or the full back and/or other cover is well positioned he is reluctant to take him on and potentially lose possession, and I can almost hear the moans if that happens.

No matter how good the winger is and how bad the full back is he is not going to skin him every time, and while Cadden and Tait work together well on the right side Frear seems more isolated on the left and therefore we are more vulnerable if he does lose possession, hence I think his reluctance at times to take the full back on unless he feels cover is behind.

That said he had a great run and shot in the first half, and as the full back tired he certainly did start taking him on more as 2nd half went on, and successfully.

I think he is a big player for us and when you see him laying on a goal like Sammons and scoring a hat trick I do understand the frustration it doesn't happen more often, but it ain't static dustbins he is playing against and that has an effect also.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I get all that and Im definitely not one of the boo boys who were on his back from day 1. Im desperate for him to succeed and I get that playing wing back requires a bit more discipline from him so as not to expose our defence. I honestly dont think I expect too much from him. But there were times against Stranraer and again yesterday where HE was the one not taking up good positions or making the right angles to accept possession when there were acres of space in front of him. Ive also lost count of the number of times where he gets the ball in a one on one and delays so long he ends up double marked. 

Ironically though, there were times on Saturday when he had found his groove and he was in great positions and his team mates chose not to play him in!

Given the lack of creativity in our team we need him to succeed. So hoping the manager can find the midfield formula that will help him to thrive.

The abuse Frear gets is fucking miles out. Folk expect him to have some sort of divine right to walk past people and seem to get upset when he doesn't waltz past his man 10 yards inside his own half. God forbid he knocks it back or inside to someone in space.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The abuse Frear gets is fucking miles out. Folk expect him to have some sort of divine right to walk past people and seem to get upset when he doesn't waltz past his man 10 yards inside his own half. God forbid he knocks it back or inside to someone in space.

Massive difference between giving him abuse and being frustrated by him because you can see he has the ability to do so much more. Especially against lower league opposition.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Don't think It matters what league someone plays in, he won't be able to teleport through them. Besides, you know the abuse isn't contained to yesterday's game only.

I agree the abuse he gets during some games is ridiculous and not conducive to producing your best football. My original comments above werent intended to come across that way. More to question his selection as MoM on this occasion. Although to be fair there was very little competition.

• Like 1