2018'19 Game 1: Hibernian (A) Sunday 5th August

Andy_P

To go with a back four featuring two centre backs, one just back from a long term injury and one trying to settle into the team strikes me as bizarre given we have been going with three at the back in the league cup   Asking for trouble? 

By the sounds of it, Main has been found out. Two from Sammon, Johnson and Bowman from now on please. 

The cynic in me also wonders if Bigirimana got on today in a game that Robinson knew was already gone so he can say 'Well, he had his chance'. Surely not? 

Not an unsurprising result and Hibs -1 was a rather appealing 15/8 today...

15 minutes ago, Shotts Well Fan said:

Hopefully we can invest some of the Kipre money and improve midfield and defence or else I agree.

Im not being funny but I dont want Robinson to get a penny of the Kipre cash! Id rather wait till we sack him and spend it on a couple players actually capable of passing a football. 

Robbo is a 1 trick pony, if he is allowed to sign more players were gonna pish money away on another couple of "robust" cloggers

And before anyone starts, Im not saying sack Robbo! But I do think he will be found out this season and we will struggle badly. Id just rather keep our powder dry than spend the little cash we have on another 6 foot clogger to hoof the ball up the park

• Like 2

Campbell and Dunne big misses today.

Frear not starting because he showed far too much creativity in pre-season and we don't want any of that nonsense when we haven't "earned the right to play football".

Much smarter to to wait until we are chasing the game.

16 minutes ago, Shotts Well Fan said:

Hopefully we can invest some of the Kipre money and improve midfield and defence or else I agree.

He could have improved the midfield and gave us something different up front over the summer but he chose not too,he was only interested in strengthening his options from the bench,which was a ridiculous move.like you say hopefully there is some money too get atleast a couple in as we badly need it as the team looks a shambles right the way through right now.

10 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Got to find a way of playing a ball playing midfielder like Gorrin, Bigi or Turnbull. 

The only way we will be playing a ball playing midfielder is if Robbo is sacked. He has shown with his disaster at Carlisle and his time at us that such players are not welcome in his teams. "Physicality" , "Aggression" & "Power" is what he looks for in a midfielder

It worked to an extent for us last season, hopefully it does this year too

FFS it's a bad game 1 and the pant wetting from the usual suspects is at Tsunami levels, injuries to key players, selling defenders and starting the season away to a very good free scoring team what do people expect. 

So we are bottom after game 1 if it the same story in January then panic, but for now wring yer knickers out and calm down.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Shaka said:

The only way we will be playing a ball playing midfielder is if Robbo is sacked. He has shown with his disaster at Carlisle and his time at us that such players are not welcome in his teams. "Physicality" , "Aggression" & "Power" is what he looks for in a midfielder

It worked to an extent for us last season, hopefully it does this year too

See if you are going to come out with pish, at least get your facts right........Robinson has never managed Carlisle!

• Haha 1

Poor performance but it's the first game of the season. First half was terrible. Worried Main dosnt look the same player. I think Bigi and Johnson must start next week along with Campbell. We played ok for the last 20 and could have scored a few but that's because Jibs allowed us to play and had the cigars out. Bad result but I'm sure we will improve next week.

Just now, Spiderpig said:

FFS it's a bad game 1 and the pant wetting from the usual suspects is at Tsunami levels, injuries to key players, selling defenders and starting the season away to a very good free scoring team what do people expect. 

So we are bottom after game 1 if it the same story in January then panic, but for now wring yer knickers out and calm down.

That’s what I love about this forum. Your not allowed an opinion or you either a pant wetter or a happy clapper etc.

I think it’s clear already from the 4 cup games and now the league game a lot of our deficiencies and failings from last year hasn’t changed or improved. 

Robinson wanted to improve the 12-19, has he done that?? Jury out for me.

For example, Gorrin is meant to be the midfield improvement but today Rose, Grimshaw and Bigi all got on before him. 

• Like 1

Slight over reaction on here as we tend to see every couple of months. It’s one game against one of the top teams in the league away from home. Kipre gone, Dunn out with Hartley not back to full fitness. Let’s give it a few games before we go into meltdown.

We need to calm down folks.  A poor result yes but we had quite a few players out injured or suspended and others are not match fit.  Had we tried to match Hibs and go toe to toe we'd have been on the wrong end of a real hiding.  This is no time to panic.  Our season was always going to start next weekend against Accies.   Yes it seemed a defensive line up and no doubt our aim was to go for a draw but we simply didn't play well enough or possibly work hard enough. 

Johnson did more in the last 20 mins than the rest had done in the preceeding 70, so would be straight in my starting line up next week, one of the few positives to take from today. 

Not too disheartened as Hibs are a good side, and we're not the only team who will lose by a few at Easter Road this season. 

Early, early days and I'm sure when key players come back from injuries and suspensions we will be fine.

Not yet convinced we've added enough quality to progress from last season, but time yet for a couple of signings that could kick us on. 

It's a bit depressing to start a season and be making exactly the same points as I was a year ago. The midfield is atrocious and guys lIke Liam Grimshaw need chased.

Moult bailed us out last season early in the campaign. When he left we became relegation form cloggers and we were lucky to have the points in the bag from the first round of matches. 4 wins out of 24 league matches was no where near good enough but relegation was unlikely and everyone had cup fever. Well this season we are playing without Moult.

Robinson has to change his philosopy and if guys like Frear, Bigi and Johnson don't start featuring in the starting line up then you are guatenteed to get what we've been getting since last October - 1980's style dross.

Don't give me all this nonsense that you need a £20 million budget to pass a ball. Teams in League 2 play that way and do it better than we do, as we saw in the League Cup matches.

Luckily we have Accies next week. That's the luckiest break we'll get all season so how about using that opportunity to fashion a football team Mr Robinson.