2018'19 Game 1: Hibernian (A) Sunday 5th August

Andy_P

And so it begins...

Perhaps too soon?

Lots of negatives about readiness, fitness and suspensions. On the positive Hibs will be taking us on fresh from charging about in 35 degree heat or so in Greece the Thursday before.

For long spells, Hibs were as poor in their game against Asteras Tripolis as we were against Clyde. Although they manage to pull a win out the bag too.

Hopefully McGinn will have been sold before kick off seeing as we won't have Campbell to keep him quiet. 

If we don't cut down on the defensive mistakes, it could make for a long afternoon.

Genuinely think we'll see a much improved performance. Season opener in a packed Easter Road brings about a totally different energy than the 3 games so far. 

Also, the fact there's been 32 goals in the last 4 competitive hibs games means we could be in for a bonkers afternoon. Can't wait!

Hoping Campbell being out will mean one of Gorrin/Turnbull/Bigi will get the nod. Keeping possession of the ball would make things a little easier on our defence. Injuries at the back may force the managers hand. Otherwise its going to be Grimshaw Rose and Cadden with long balls to Main and Sammon all afternoon.

Frankly the team might pick itself with injuries and suspensions. Expect it to be along the lines of 

Carson

Kipré McHugh Hartley 

Tait Cadden Rodriguez-Gorrin Rose Frear

Main Sammon 

Personally would go with Johnson ahead of Main and were there other options, the back three might change but reckon that's what we'll go with. 

Not confident...

3 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

Simply don't think we are anywhere near ready, and that's not even factoring in the injuries to key men.

Zero points.

There's nothing to suggest Hibs are any more ready. Or, based on the final mini-league standings, most of our peers.

Taking into account the pace of the likes of Boyle and others in this Hibs team, I’d kind of hope we’d go to a back 4, although I’m 99% sure Robinson will still go with a back 3. 

For me I’d go with:

Carson

Tait                 Kipre               McHugh (if fit)    ATS

Cadden          ARG                  Rose                   Frear

Sammon    Johnson

If McHugh isn’t ready then I’d have Hartley in there instead. Sammon deserves a start after his first few appearances, and with Bowman out and Main perhaps still struggling with injury, Johnson is probably the best option to partner him. Would hope to see Bigi from the bench too although I doubt it’ll happen if I’m honest.

11 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Frankly the team might pick itself with injuries and suspensions. Expect it to be along the lines of 

Carson

Kipré McHugh Hartley 

Tait Cadden Rodriguez-Gorrin Rose Frear

Main Sammon 

Personally would go with Johnson ahead of Main and were there other options, the back three might change but reckon that's what we'll go with. 

Not confident...

With injuries and suspensions it could be:

Carson

Kipre Hartley Donnelly

Tait Grimshaw Rodriguez-Gorrin Rose Frear

Main (or Johnson) Sammon

18 hours ago, Del_Superwell said:

... I wonder if its worth putting Tait there for no other reason than he's quicker than Kipre, Hartley and McHugh

Is he?   Not by much if so, and unlikely going to have an impact if Boyle get a chance to run at the back line. 

Tait is tireless and committed, but no much pace! I'd keep Tait in wingback where he is most effective. Centre backs should know how to play pacey strikers.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

No chance the Spaniard will start, Grimshaw will start for Campbell.

Ordinarily I'd agree but Grimshaw played at Stranraer and it was noticeable that when Campbell went off on Saturday, Grimshaw stayed on the bench. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Grimshaw started but I don't think it's definite...

Lots of variables to address for this one.

Back 3 or Back 4?

If McHugh is fit will he be played in midfield or defence?

Will Hartley be risked now he has had another week's training under his belt?

Is Donnelly ready to step in?

Is Cadden going to be fit?

If Bowman is fit, does he start with Sammon?

Who's marking McGinn?

etc.  etc.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

Lots of variables to address for this one.

Back 3 or Back 4?

If McHugh is fit will he be played in midfield or defence?

Will Hartley be risked now he has had another week's training under his belt?

Is Donnelly ready to step in?

Is Cadden going to be fit?

If Bowman is fit, does he start with Sammon?

Who's marking McGinn?

etc.  etc.

For me Hartley is the big risk, he was well off the pace at times against Clyde so he might struggle against a fitter and better Hibs side. But as I have said previously he needs game time so I think SR has no option but to play him.

They said after the Clyde game that mchugh's injury was minor so he will start, but I think SR's big decisions are up top i.e which pairing of the 4 strikers to go with, for me it's Sammon +1