2018'19 Game 1: Hibernian (A) Sunday 5th August

Andy_P

58 minutes ago, mwellhighland said:

Is this ticket only? Struggling to log in to the online ticket stuff - asking for a customer number (rather than an email address) to log in but didn't receive one, or missed it, when I registered and nothing in my inbox/junk. 

Sorry totally misread this. Actually never received a customer number when I registered on Monday. I am unable to log back into it either now. Very strange. 

The close season has been remarkably underwhelming. 

On the back of two cup finals and the improved cash flow, I had hoped we would have seized on the opportunity to bring in a marquee signing or two and raise the profile a little; with the aim of boosting gates - that hasn't happened sadly. Instead, we got Sammon...

Cup displays have been utter dross therefore, personally, not feeling the normal buzz of a new season. 

Reckon team for this will be (baring injuries).

--------------------------Carson---------------------

------Kipre-----------McHugh-------Hartley

Tait---------------------------------------ATS

------Cadden------Grimshaw-------Rose

---------Bowman-----Main

Subs: 

Gillespie 

Donnelly

Macguire

Frear

Bigirimana 

Gorrin

Johnson 

Sammon

Hoping for a 1-1 and stringing 3 passes together.

Would like to see us line up 4-5-1 at Easter road but don't think we will 

Carson 

Tait                      Kipre     McHugh        ATS 

Cadden                Bigi         Grimshaw   Gorin         Frear 

Sammon 

Grimshaw only in to mark McGinn and hopefully stop Hibs playing through us 

Edited by Yodo
Spelling

Buzzing the real football is back! I tend to take the pre-season games with a pinch of salt. Loads of players still trying to regain fitness and there was a pretty unsettled eleven. To be honest, I don't really share or understand the pessimism expressed by some. Aye, we have injuries but we still have some new options that we didn't have at our disposal at the end of last season.

Hibs will be a tough test but there defence looks very shakey at the moment. They've conceded a lot of goals recently. No reason why we can't get a positive result. I hope most of the support will be positive off the back of a successful end to last season and fill our section on Sunday. Really looking forward to a trip through to Edinburgh.

In saying that I must admit I'm still not really sure what the preferred eleven is this season. The main quandary for me is where Cadden is going to play and who will be the preferred LWB (if we play a 3 at the back) To me, Cadden isn't suited to a central role and is better as an actual winger. Nonetheless I think we need to find a way to get him in our preferred system. IMO you either play Tait back at LWB and Cadden RWB with someone else central or play Cadden through the middle and Tait reverting to his natural right with Frear on the left. I'm not convinced from what I've seen of ATS that he is ready/fit enough to fill the LWB role. In either case I do think you lose something but I'm pleased that we seem to have at least more variation in options this year. I suppose we will just need to wait and find out in the coming weeks what the preferred system and line up is going to be.

On some of the pre season chatter; Interesting comments from Robinson on Frear recently. He has been getting pelters for a bit now, I must admit I was never his biggest fan at times last year but I think he's got the potential to kick on and deserves a bit more patience from the fans. Some of the recent patter on Bigi has been quite funny too, a lot of it tongue in cheek no doubt but some of it sincere. He's become a bit of a myth IMO. Clearly he has quality but I maintain from the games I have seen him the game is too fast for him up here and he does not suit our style of play.  I don't think anything will dramtically change in this regard and we would be better served offloading him if we can.

On the striker situation, I've been encouraged by Sammon's recent form although I must admit I'm still sceptical on him for the season ahead. What I think he will provide though is a useful option from the bench which we never had last season. I think we are fairly well served in most postions at the moment but I still would like a bit more quality going forward although I don't think we are likely to see. For the season ahead this is my main concern, unless Johnson turns out to be a goalscorer at this le vel I'm not sure the other three will be prolific enough. None of them have records to suggest that they will stump up with anymore than 10 goals a season each.

If we could replicate one of the cup runs we had last season and challenge for top 6 I'd be really pleased. I'd also like Robinson to blood more youngsters this season. Hopefully one or more from the likes of Turnbull, Maguire or Scott emerge. One small gripe I had last season was I felt we were paying guys with limited quality who aren't any better than guys from our own youth system.

For Sunday I'd go with:

Carson

Kipré McHugh Hartley

Cadden Campbell Rodriguez Rose Tait

Main Bowman

28 minutes ago, gdalli10 said:

Sunderland?

Was reading an article this morning aabout Jack Ross rebuilding Sunderland by punting his high earners and picking up Scottish players as cheaper options. He's taken Jon McLaughlin from Hearts, Dylan McGeough from Hibs and Chris McGuire from Bury.

So, when I was thinking of a random English team we'd sell him to, Sunderland popped into my head.

29 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I'm guessing parking in Edinburgh at this time of year is going to be a nightmare. Any suggestions?

Parking in the city has doubled - although not sure of weekend prices.  

Train if Scotrail are playing ball but I know the normal line is a mess. 

What about using one of the park and rides?  

7 hours ago, mwellhighland said:

Is this ticket only? Struggling to log in to the online ticket stuff - asking for a customer number (rather than an email address) to log in but didn't receive one, or missed it, when I registered and nothing in my inbox/junk. 

6 hours ago, Bert the Sailor said:

Sorry totally misread this. Actually never received a customer number when I registered on Monday. I am unable to log back into it either now. Very strange. 

My customer number is on my Season Ticket card if you have on guys

Round the bypass and come in from the Portobello end if you're desperate to avoid the city centre and dont want to piss about on trams and trains

Always space to park at the retail park at Meadowbank , 10 minute walk , if travelling by car we have always managed to find somewhere closer than that though on one of the side streets the opposite side of Easter Road from the stadium 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mwellhighland said:

7 hours ago, Bert the Sailor said:

I did this too,  customer number was shown on the confirmation screen that you had registered correctly.

I emailed Wendy MacFarlane at the club and she gave me a reminder of my number.

It’s been a while since we started the season with so many injuries. There’s the potential to get horsed on Sunday, but I suspect we would’ve lost even with everyone available. 

Accies game the following week is absolutely massive as realistically it’s our best chance of a win in the opening 7 games!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, milo said:

It’s been a while since we started the season with so many injuries. There’s the potential to get horsed on Sunday, but I suspect we would’ve lost even with everyone available. 

Accies game the following week is absolutely massive as realistically it’s our best chance of a win in the opening 7 games!

You and MJC should get together for a party......that would be a lot of fun.....

I trust the Manager and Lasley and I think the squad is on the whole stronger than last season. Of course with Dunne and Bowman out for   1st part of season and Tanner yet to return it could be stronger. Also heard Carson may not play on Sunday ? 

All that said I think we have 4 strikers that can all play and deliver through the course of the season. Also back up goalie looked OK in his pre season run out. 

I don’t think we will get as far in the cups this season but think we will match or better our league position. 

We have a tough start in terms of games but in truth I would rather play Hibs in 1st game and with them being on the back of a tough away Euro fixture. We could get horsed but then again we could also easily get some sort of result on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Does anyone know what was/is the problem with Carson as mentioned in SR's interview?

I haven't seen the interview yet however I have heard we are actively looking to sell Carson as he has a dodgy shoulder and it's always been a bit of an issue.

So dunno if it is related to that.