2018'19 Game 1: Hibernian (A) Sunday 5th August

Andy_P

Just in and really disappointed..not with the result but the way we played. We were shocking for the first half and tbh I blame the manager.  They killed us down the flanks and there was no change of shape or personnel. We continued to play with a tight defensive middle four. 

Second half we played a 3-5-2 and looked way more effective. 

I cant remember a chance in the first half. The second half we hit the post, 2 1v1 and a goal chopped off. 

Why did it take the manager 45 mins to make a change?? 

A tough first game of the season.  With the exception of Livingston, we had the hardest tie of the first weekend. For all the columns of debate being taken up in the press arguing about who will finish second between Rangers and Aberdeen, my money would be on Hibs to finish second this season. Good manager who has assembled a good squad.

Away points are going to be hard to come by against any of the city teams this season so I suspect that todays result may be a taster of things to come. My feeling is that we are fighting for sixth and actually if Killie can keep Steve Clarke, and keep Kris Boyd fit for the season, I think they will have sixth sown up.

That leaves the rest, 7-12. Robinson has assembled a squad to fight this battle. It will be the games against these teams that will define our season. Sadly for me the difference may be this season that we don't have a squad with quite the same drive and determination as last season. If guys like Main don't buy into the cause (and there are signs already that he may not be) then the spark that gave us the edge over the bottom six last season could vanish.

Robinson did an outstanding job last season but I fear that he may be running out of ideas. With one of the smallest budgets in the league it is little wonder that he is resorting to bringing in the type of player that served him well last season but without the intensity that brought success last season I fear that the squad does not have the quality required to match last seasons achievements.

I wish him well because he has a touch job ahead of him. Like everybody else I would like our style of play to improve and like everyone else I hope that the quality we need may come from Bigi but I fear that there is a reason why he does not start games that runs deeper than Robinson's preferred style of play.

It is the first game of the season but there was enough evidence in the league cup games to suggest that the team is struggling at this moment in time. It can all change ofcourse but I am not sure where the spark is going to come from. I hope that our next signing will be the one that sparks the team into life but with the money that Robinson will have to spend I do not know where that player will come from.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Johnson needs to start the next game as he is currently our only goal threat.

Totally agree. I’d go with him and Main (Bowman if he was fit...) On the basis of last weekend and today Sammon is one of the laziest players I’ve seen in a Well shirt in many a year......don’t think I can cope watching him this season. Also think we need to bring in either Bigi or Rodriguez to give us someone in there who can pass the bloody ball! If Cadden is not fit he needs the time to recover, if not he should get a rocket up his a**e for clearly ducking out of a 50/50 towards the end of the game. Nightmare day, however they are a good side, we had a few players out, Carson had one of his poorest games in a Well shirt and all of the luck went against us (Hartley hand ball, Johnson’s shot hitting the post and his disallowed goal) We’ll have better days but our manager needs to react to what we can all see......

4 minutes ago, star sail said:

A tough first game of the season.  With the exception of Livingston, we had the hardest tie of the first weekend. For all the columns of debate being taken up in the press arguing about who will finish second between Rangers and Aberdeen, my money would be on Hibs to finish second this season. Good manager who has assembled a good squad.

Away points are going to be hard to come by against any of the city teams this season so I suspect that todays result may be a taster of things to come. My feeling is that we are fighting for sixth and actually if Killie can keep Steve Clarke, and keep Kris Boyd fit for the season, I think they will have sixth sown up.

That leaves the rest, 7-12. Robinson has assembled a squad to fight this battle. It will be the games against these teams that will define our season. Sadly for me the difference may be this season that we don't have a squad with quite the same drive and determination as last season. If guys like Main don't buy into the cause (and there are signs already that he may not be) then the spark that gave us the edge over the bottom six last season could vanish.

Robinson did an outstanding job last season but I fear that he may be running out of ideas. With one of the smallest budgets in the league it is little wonder that he is resorting to bringing in the type of player that served him well last season but without the intensity that brought success last season I fear that the squad does not have the quality required to match last seasons achievements.

I wish him well because he has a touch job ahead of him. Like everybody else I would like our style of play to improve and like everyone else I hope that the quality we need may come from Bigi but I fear that there is a reason why he does not start games that runs deeper than Robinson's preferred style of play.

It is the first game of the season but there was enough evidence in the league cup games to suggest that the team is struggling at this moment in time. It can all change ofcourse but I am not sure where the spark is going to come from. I hope that our next signing will be the one that sparks the team into life but with the money that Robinson will have to spend I do not know where that player will come from.

I was going to write a huge  rant which was going through my head on the way back from Edinburgh but after reading this it sums up what I was thinking better. A blind man can see bigi brings much needed composure to that midfield and if Johnson doesn't play against Accies it will be a travesty. My half time pie crust falling onto the park had more movement and caused the Hibs defence more issues than Sammon and Main combined. I watched them closely and not once did they talk to each other, no sign of any sort of understanding between them. If I could read body language I would say they just didn't look interested today at all. Drop Rose and Grimshaw for Bigi and Gorrin as a corpse would have been better than those two in midfield today.

Sammon played well alongside Bowman in the league cup. He also has played well when the style was less agricultural.

Main on the other hand hasn't played well with anyone this term and his poor form extends back to last season.

Right now I'd much rather see Sammon/Johnson than Main/Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Going by Robinson’s interview sounds like Bigi won’t be leaving after all.

Good news if we actually use him correctly moving forward.

Found his comments interesting. You’d imagine (and hope) that he’s been persuaded to stay with the promise of being utilised. 

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

Found his comments interesting. You’d imagine (and hope) that he’s been persuaded to stay with the promise of being utilised. 

Yeh, that’s what I took from it. 

Gotta think it’s bad news for Gorrin, as you would assume he was signed on the idea that Bigi would be leaving. We’ve got more midfielders than we need already and the one who we had basically written off is now hanging around seemingly. Be interesting to see if we lose either Cadden or Campbell as I can’t see any of the others bringing in bids.

I often say it but again we were a team of two halfs, We have got to stop this not turning up for one half of a game its getting ridiculous. Thats every single game so far I have seen this. Its very early in the season and can be sorted. Fingers x.  I can see a potentially  decent defender in Donnelly as well, who I think is a decent capture. Johnson can shield a ball well and do something positive  when he does and its just disappointing that Main or Sammon couldnt do what he done between them. As for Robinson comment about the first half, mystifying. I suppose he was trying to stop the guys heads from going down. Hibs tore us to shreds and they never needed to get out of first gear.

15 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Gotta think it’s bad news for Gorrin, as you would assume he was signed on the idea that Bigi would be leaving. We’ve got more midfielders than we need already and the one who we had basically written off is now hanging around seemingly. Be interesting to see if we lose either Cadden or Campbell as I can’t see any of the others bringing in bids.

I haven't seen Gorrin in person yet, but there have been a few comments to the effect that he can make a pass, while also looking handy in the tackle. Any reason why he couldn't play with Bigi rather than instead of him? (Other than this not exactly confirming to SR's "Plan A".)

Absolutely brutal stuff. 

We’re so static and undynamic, it’s quite unbelievable at points.

Rose contributed nothing from first to last but could be said of most.  Hartley’s mistake at he first was evident and a crazy decision to stick an arm out. Front two from the start were awful.  Agree with the above that Tait needs to shift to LWB and Caden right. In our regular 3-5-2, were desperately missing quality and centre half, the middle of the park and up top. 

Shocking stuff and Robinson needs to get a grip. Awful cup performances masked by getting through and very very poor today. 

Someone above posted that we’ll look back at this as an awful summer for the club and I have to say that I can only agree with that.

2 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

I haven't seen Gorrin in person yet, but there have been a few comments to the effect that he can make a pass, while also looking handy in the tackle. Any reason why he couldn't play with Bigi rather than instead of him? (Other than this not exactly confirming to SR's "Plan A".)

I have seen him twice and he certainly gave me some hope we signed a decent passing midfielder who can open defences with intelligent balls. I would play Campbell, Gorrin and Bigi along with Cadden but then again he was anonymous today.

3 hours ago, postiejim said:

Playing for 0-0 Hibs score so what now ,this is absolutely dire , big punt up the park football . See how I didn’t say hoof ball .....

Exactly we went there looking for a draw and thats suicidal. How SR thinks there was nothing between the teams is beyond me. We were utter garbage for 70 mins then when he put an attacking formation on we missed 4 golden opportunities. For me he picked wrong team and tactics and Hibs were miles ahead of us for 70 mins.

40 minutes ago, Katie said:

Not sure about that.  Robbo said that Bigi isn't looking to get back south so I don't think there's any evidence of us persuading him to stay or of us using him more. 

Interesting that Robbo said that we only had 2 fit defenders today ie Donnelly and McHugh. 

22 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

I don’t have a problem with them playing together. I imagine Robinson may do however.

I'm not worried about the result today - was always going to be a big ask given the state of available players.

I should know better by now, but it annoys the crap out of me that Frear didn't start. He was consistently our most creative player in the League Cup group. All this earning right to play football is just BS. Can you imagine Tommy McLean leaving Davie Cooper and Bobby Russell on the bench until we were 2 or 3 goals down because we hadn't earned the right to play them yet?

Doubly annoying against a team like Hibs who give you the space to play some football.

Playing football and getting 2 or 3 (or even 1) goal ahead earns you the right to shut the game down. Not the other way around.

• Like 2

I love it on this forum when you are critical of a shite performance and you automatically become a pant wetter (and vice versa)

Today isnt a knee jerk, its game 5 of the season and we are still utterly pish, hopefully we come good and today was just a blip. The issues we had last season however, have not been addressed and our recruitment has looked decidedly shaky so far. 

But the most annoying thing is this pish about the likes of Hartley not being fit. Robbo made a big thing of early recruitment and (I think) everyone has had a warm weather training camp, several weeks of pre season, 3 friendlies and 4 competetive games. Hartley was out a while aye, but was fit enough to bench in the cup final which means he was capable of at the very least light training back in May. These guys are meant to be fucking professional so if they arent fit enough after several games and 6 weeks training its on either them or the management. Enough of this "not match fit" bullshit please!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dossertillidie said:

Pretty simple for me, to play a system you need to have the players for it. I like 3-5-2 but without two quick wingbacks and a balanced middle 3 it doesn’t work

Bigi, Johnson, Gorrin and frear the better performers in pre season so you need to play the system that allows them to feature 

This completely

13 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I love it on this forum when you are critical of a shite performance and you automatically become a pant wetter (and vice versa)

Today isnt a knee jerk, its game 5 of the season and we are still utterly pish, hopefully we come good and today was just a blip. The issues we had last season however, have not been addressed and our recruitment has looked decidedly shaky so far. 

But the most annoying thing is this pish about the likes of Hartley not being fit. Robbo made a big thing of early recruitment and (I think) everyone has had a warm weather training camp, several weeks of pre season, 3 friendlies and 4 competetive games. Hartley was out a while aye, but was fit enough to bench in the cup final which means he was capable of at the very least light training back in May. These guys are meant to be fucking professional so if they arent fit enough after several games and 6 weeks training its on either them or the management. Enough of this "not match fit" bullshit please!!

I agree with 95% of this, but "match fit" is definitely a thing - and a thing that can only be remedied by playing matches against good teams.

Case in point - look what happened to Nicky Law's career when he dropped down divisions and played against part timers every week.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Sammon played well alongside Bowman in the league cup. He also has played well when the style was less agricultural.

Main on the other hand hasn't played well with anyone this term and his poor form extends back to last season.

Right now I'd much rather see Sammon/Johnson than Main/Johnson.

Sammon is shite.

Main isn't playing well but can give more in a functioning team.