2018'19 Game 1: Hibernian (A) Sunday 5th August

Andy_P

7 minutes ago, dossertillidie said:

Pretty simple for me, to play a system you need to have the players for it. I like 3-5-2 but without two quick wingbacks and a balanced middle 3 it doesn’t work

Bigi, Johnson, Gorrin and frear the better performers in pre season so you need to play the system that allows them to feature 

The problem with that is Frear just isnt a wing back and Bigi/Gorrin probably arent enough of a combo in Cm. So to play them all you're looking at something like a 4-3-3 with

Bigi, Campbell , Gorrin

Cadden , Johnson , Frear

Does that give us enough goal threat or does it leave Johnson isolated? Tough. 

Our recruitment this summer shouldve been better to give us a plan B or at least a competent plan A

Robinson's team selection and approach to next week's game will extremely interesting,if we go out with the intention of playing hoofball and getting caught up in a slugfest with accies,then I  really will fear for us this season,frear,johnson,bigi and turnbull to start for me as well as campbell coming back in.injuries and suspension are always going to be a negative away too a good side like hibs,there's no excuse next week at home too accies,we have a cracking pitch,it's time we got some players on it that actually want to pass the ball about on it.

Just now, weeyin said:

Every striker we play is going to struggle if we don't play people who can create chances.

Yip. Ronaldo would struggle to score in this team. We cant afford anything like proven quality, so it makes it all the more important we find a system and players that allow us to create chances for the strikers we do have.

23 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Every striker we play is going to struggle if we don't play people who can create chances.

I agree, Johnson didnt struggle at all today (other than finishing) with the chances he had (4+ clear shots on goal iirc) that none of the other two so called strikers we had on the field had all day. Bigi came on and showed some patience and composure on the ball and we started creating those chances for Johnson. If we can see it I just cant understand why the Motherwell management can't. Is it just a play ugly and survive in the league attitude we seem to have developed?

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

We need to calm down folks.  A poor result yes but we had quite a few players out injured or suspended and others are not match fit.  Had we tried to match Hibs and go toe to toe we'd have been on the wrong end of a real hiding.  This is no time to panic.  Our season was always going to start next weekend against Accies.   Yes it seemed a defensive line up and no doubt our aim was to go for a draw but we simply didn't play well enough or possibly work hard enough. 

Sorry mate but 3-0 is a real hiding in my view especially as Hibs down tools in second half. very concerning performance and team selection.

58 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Sammon is shite.

Main isn't playing well but can give more in a functioning team.

You are clearly delusional. Main, I fear, has been unmasked as the player Portsmouth fans warned us about. Unlike Main in the league cup, Sammon looked semi capable of taking a chance. Main's two goals? Keeper threw one in and the other hit off his head.

Main's last decent performance was the Scottish Cup semi-final. For me, he'd be fourth choice striker, possibly fifth behind Scott...

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

FFS it's a bad game 1 and the pant wetting from the usual suspects is at Tsunami levels, injuries to key players, selling defenders and starting the season away to a very good free scoring team what do people expect. 

So we are bottom after game 1 if it the same story in January then panic, but for now wring yer knickers out and calm down.

I'm ever the optimist and usually one of the last to be critical but I've been to all 5 competitive games this season and there's something quite worrying about what I've seen. So much so, I've decided to use bullet points:

• I have absolutely no problem with 'hoof-ball' if it's effective (season 2013-2014) , but the reality is for long spells we seem to be persevering with a tactic that simply doesn't work. The first 45 today was as painful to watch as any I've seen in recent years. The 50/50 toss up when we punt it might be a gamble worth taking, but when we did get it up the pitch we didn't know what to do with the ball.  
  • Yes we are missing a few key players, but we've still had the core group playing and individually the performances have been poor. 
  • When we have the ball we don't look like we know what the plan is. No one knows where the runners are and I can't see a single effective partnership on the pitch. There is absolutely no fluency to our play. 
  • Last years spirit and energy is gone. We always looked like the fittest and strongest team on the park and it earned us a reputation last season. I won't question the players attitudes but we don't look like we're playing with the same heart. 
  • Robinson's management of Bigi is just bizarre. To give him zero game time in the cup then bring him on to change a game against Premiership opposition is baffling.
  • Jury's obviously still out on the new signings but Gorrin and Johnson look like useful additions. I do however share the fear of others that they'll be the ones who play a bit-part in Robinsons plans. 

I certainly think we have the players to put in performances far better than we've seen so far, I just hope Robinson finds a way of getting them all back operating at a decent level otherwise we could be in for a difficult season ahead. 

• Like 5

It was not good today. No doubts about it. But I will agree with Robinson and say there was not much in it until they scored. And what a surprise 1st shot on target = 1 goal. 2nd shot on target = 2 goals. Just for once it would be refreshing if a team needed a few shots to score a goal. 

Would need to see the Hartley handball for the free kick again. Might have been harsh but so was the Johnson goal imho. Madden cannot what to blow his whistle. Wonder if either free kick would have been given at Ibrox against Rangers......

We would have struggled v Hibs with a full team inc Campbell, Dunne, Kipre and Bowman. But without them we were too weak. 

Main talks a good game and was very effective second half last season - but so far this he has been utter pants. 

Only bright spot today was Johnson. Yes Hibs has downed tools a little but he could have scored 3 or 4 goals and was unlucky not to have scored two - hitting the post and the disallowed one. He should start next week. Did more in 20 or so minutes than the 2 other strikers combined. 

It is going to be a tough season ahead and we will probably finish 7th at best imho -but with our budget is that really a surprise. 

I am worried - but I will at least wait for a few more games before I go pissing my pants like the usual suspects. But they cannot help themselves. And it is not about not being able to voice concern or be critical. I can guarantee which posters will go into full panic mode after 1 league game - no surprises.....

• Like 1

Sammon played well alongside Bowman in the league cup. He also has played well when the style was less agricultural.
Main on the other hand hasn't played well with anyone this term and his poor form extends back to last season.
Right now I'd much rather see Sammon/Johnson than Main/Johnson.
Totally agree

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

You are clearly delusional. Main, I fear, has been unmasked as the player Portsmouth fans warned us about. Unlike Main in the league cup, Sammon looked semi capable of taking a chance. Main's two goals? Keeper threw one in and the other hit off his head.

Main's last decent performance was the Scottish Cup semi-final. For me, he'd be fourth choice striker, possibly fifth behind Scott...

Which striker has played well since the semi?

16 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Mains has 2 league goals since the end of January, a run of 14 matches.

All his appearances were in the starting line up.

Feel free to point out that one of those 2 goals was a penalty. Bowman also only scored 2 league goals in that time. Sammon scored 3 in a rotten Partick Thistle side. Doesn't suggest any of them are  necessarily the answer but puts to bed the lie that Sammon is rubbish and Main is magic...

Aye we have certainly strengthened the pool  not . But don't worry I mean ATS is the next big player for us and although I thought Grimshaw could do a job today I will pay his fare back south . If we can't get anybody in as we seem to have spent all the cash then it will be a hell of a long season time to earn yer cash Mr Robinson because you got it all wrong today 

12 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Aye we have certainly strengthened the pool  not . But don't worry I mean ATS is the next big player for us and although I thought Grimshaw could do a job today I will pay his fare back south . 

Were you not complaining about Dunne last August? How did that work out?

Good to see the usual experts have everything worked out after one league game. You'll make more money than a taxi driver at the bookies this season.

Did you not want Frear to start today, or is he still your favourite boo boy target?

3 hours ago, Shaka said:

I love it on this forum when you are critical of a shite performance and you automatically become a pant wetter (and vice versa)

Today isnt a knee jerk, its game 5 of the season and we are still utterly pish, hopefully we come good and today was just a blip. The issues we had last season however, have not been addressed and our recruitment has looked decidedly shaky so far. 

But the most annoying thing is this pish about the likes of Hartley not being fit. Robbo made a big thing of early recruitment and (I think) everyone has had a warm weather training camp, several weeks of pre season, 3 friendlies and 4 competetive games. Hartley was out a while aye, but was fit enough to bench in the cup final which means he was capable of at the very least light training back in May. These guys are meant to be fucking professional so if they arent fit enough after several games and 6 weeks training its on either them or the management. Enough of this "not match fit" bullshit please!!

Well said there are some on here wouldn't dare criticise the team while the realists see it for what we are at the moment shite.  

Just now, Yodo said:

Well said there are some on here wouldn't dare criticise the team while the realists see it for what we are at the moment shite.  

And fans who have more than Football Manager on their ZX Spectrum to fall back on realise that there is some middle ground to analyse.

But the social media mob has everything pegged as world beaters or shite. No room for nuance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Were you not complaining about Dunne last August? How did that work out?

Good to see the usual experts have everything worked out after one league game. You'll make more money than a taxi driver at the bookies this season.

Did you not want Frear to start today, or is he still your favourite boo boy target?

Not experts by god how bad do we need to be before you will say anything negative about the team  . How many games you seen this season