Season Predictations 2018/19

siebsbarmyarmy

Now that the diddy cup group stages are over with what’s everyone’s expectations or predictions for the season ahead. 

League - 8th place.  Safe from relegation however anything more a bonus. Aslong as we finish above Accies.

League Cup - Quarter Final

Scottish Cup - Last 16

Player of the Year - Richard Tait

Young Player of the Year - Allan Campbell

Top Goalscorer - Curtis Main 

Season wishes - Too pump Celtic at least once this year. Preferably in a Cup however can’t see it.  Also for us to get a decent break from referee’s and for one or two youngsters to cement a place in the team like Campbell and Cadden. 

League - 7th place.

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final

Player of the Year - Richard Tait

Top Goalscorer - Danny Johnson

Season wishes - To have a good challenge at going for top 6, reasonable runs in the cup and hopefully see the likes of Maguire and Turnbull cement a place in the team before the season is out and be 1st picks by next season.   I also have the feeling we will lose a player maybe 2 either this summer or in January.   Trevor Carson and Cadden are my predictions we will sell for good money.   

League - 6th to 8th

League Cup* - Semi Final

Scottish Cup* - Semi Final 

PoTY - Richard Tait

YPoTY - Allan Campbell

Wishes - Win more than we lose (all comps accepted).  

* luck of the draw could see us go to another final or be out in the first game we play in the knockouts.  

League - 9th place.

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final

Player of the Year - Peter Hartley

Season wishes - To avoid relegation and retain as many of our better players as possible.

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's hard to see us making top six.

The top five are nailed on and Kilmarnock under Clarke are very good. St Johnstone will also be much better than last season if Tony Watt hits some form.

I disagree to an extent.  I've not seen anything to suggest Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen will be streets ahead this season.  On the flipside, I've not been overly impressed with us so far.  In the end, it'll come down to who can be consistent over the course of the season, as quality wise there isn't a great deal amongst the 6 or 7 teams that will be pushing for the 5 places in the top 6.  I've intentionally excluded Rangers as we have no idea what they'll be like, but I would expect them to be guaranteed a top 6 finish.  I think Dundee, Accies, St Mirren and Livingston will play out their own mini league this season.

League - anywhere from 2nd to 8th.

Scottish Cup - Winners

League Cup - Semis

POTY - Tait

YPOTY - Campbell

Top Goalscorer - Main

Wishes - Win the Scottish Cup and be comfortably in the top 6. 

Sell a couple of players for a few million.

Relegate Accies.

• Like 1

Finishing in the top six again would be nice, however, to do so we will need to match St. Johnstone and Killie as they will be our main rivals for the coveted 6th spot. An actual cup win would be great after coming so close last season. However, this will require someone to beat Celtic.

Not into predictions at this stage as its too early. However I think St Mirren will be safe and Livingston will go down.  Dundee will be near the bottom as could Hamilton.  Killie will challenge for a top 6 place as will we.  I reckon St Johnstone will be a tad weaker. 

Would be an incredible achievement for us to get a top 6 spot this year given the strength of other teams in the league. Think we will fall just short, finishing 7th with Killie taking the 6th spot. Don't imagine we will be anywhere near relegation battle as Dundee, Livi, Accies and St. Mirren are in a four way dog fight for the drop (Accies and St.Mirren please!!) and we fall into the "not quite top 6" with St Johnstone and Killie, the former I think are weaker this year and the latter have the best manager in the league.

As for the Cups, will be again impossible to match last years exploits but quietly confident we can make at least one other final this year as we/Robbo seem to have a knack for the one off cup games.

League - 7th

Scottish Cup - Semi Final

Player of the Year - Carson

Season wishes - to win the Scottish Cup so we can go on a European tour, that'd be nice.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Killie are installing grass in a year’s time I think so Livi and Saints it is

Are Killie installing grass? I know they are ripping up their plastic, but didn’t know if it was grass or newer plastic that was being laid. 

Also, don’t forget Accies. I hear their new surface isn’t much better than their old one. 

Top four spots are bolted on - Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs - and given Hearts hardly ever lose at home they should make it Top 6.   That leaves one spot for the rest.

I can see St. Mirren and Hamilton being the strugglers.  I actually saw Livingston a couple of times last season and think if they can hang on to their best players (Pittman etc) they will do OK next season.   Not much between most of the rest but in terms of league form in the second half of the season last term St. Johnstone and Kilmarnock were better than us and I'm a bit worried that none of our summer signings really seem to have significantly improved our first XI over the start of last season.   In fact without Moult we are a lesser team than we were at the start of last season. Therefore I'd expect us to be somewhere between 8th and 10th with 2 places either side of that as best/worst scenarios.

Cups will be entirely down to draw and performance on the day so it's a bit pointless making any predicts.

Top scorer is a coin toss between Main and Sammon, I'll say Sammon based on what I've saw so far this season.

Seasons wishes - better standard of football and the introduction of youth talent (Turnbull, Scott, Maguire)

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

St Mirren have an artificial surface as well? That's four in the SPL this season. Good grief...

I always thought St Mirren was grass not plastic. I’m sure there was a big deal made of this when they built the stadium. Grew the pitch first to make it a top class playing surface etc. 

Always was grass and a good pitch at that. 

Edit to add - it is grass and not plastic, or so it says on their Wiki. 

29 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

I always thought St Mirren was grass not plastic. I’m sure there was a big deal made of this when they built the stadium. Grew the pitch first to make it a top class playing surface etc. 

Always was grass and a good pitch at that. 

Edit to add - it is grass and not plastic, or so it says on their Wiki. 

Cheers. I was only going on the previous post. Good to know as I have yet to see a plastic pitch play well in a professional game.

Heard a lot of talk of hybrid pitches but have no idea if they'll be any better...

51 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Cheers. I was only going on the previous post. Good to know as I have yet to see a plastic pitch play well in a professional game.

Heard a lot of talk of hybrid pitches but have no idea if they'll be any better...

Hybrid are miles better its something like 90-95% grass with 5-10% fibres sewn through to make the pitch more hardwearing

League - 10th

League Cup* - Quarter Final

Scottish Cup* - Quarter Final 

PoTY - Carl McHugh

YPoTY - Allan Campbell

Wishes - I don't think we've recruited enough quality to build on last year despite the increased exposure and revenue we generated. I normally have a go at the naysayers but this team at present doesn't have enough for me to sustain the season and push on. I predicted 12 months ago when I thought it would be a consolidating season to do something this year and that turned out to exceed all expectations beyond belief so what do I know. Relegate Accies is the best I think we can hope for sadly.

11 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Hybrid are miles better its something like 90-95% grass with 5-10% fibres sewn through to make the pitch more hardwearing

Aye, a lot of teams in the EPL use hybrids - Man City, Man Utd and Wembley are all hybrid.  Hearts new pitch is also a hybrid.