Cédric replacement

Kim

5 hours ago, gee said:

We tend to play 3-5-2 so where would you play him in that? 

Johnson looks like he can take balls into his feet and get shots away so would be looking to get someone who can thread passes in where Cadden has been playing. 

Centre midfield in a 3 with Campbell + another, but not as a #10, because as you pointed out, it's not suited to his game. Driving runs from deeper in midfield are where we'd get the best out of him in a 3-5-2 if that's what Robbo is going to persist with. I'd love to see us try a 3-4-3 with Cadden at RW but I doubt that's going to happen.

11 hours ago, Well Well said:

Its Aldred, thread complete :D

Like you pleased that Aldred is coming back for season long loan.  That'll add to our defensive capabilities and cover. However, maybe its a bit premature to close this thread.  Robbo talked about 2 more signings, of which Aldred will be one no doubt.  I don't see him as being a like for like for Kipre though.  Assuming that the other signing, if there is one, won't be a goalie, midfielder or striker then he would be a defender.   Yes, keep this thread open for now. 

Pacy, tall and likes to play with the ball at his feet. Exactly the player I think we needed. A few months to polish his Scottish accent and get him in the first team. I wish him well and welcome to the club. Has been a welcome few signings and a good lift before playing Cannabis FC

33 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

He still can?

Of course. I just meant that after being on the first team fringe last season, he must have thought he had a chance of pushing on this season; particularly because he wasn't loaned out at the start of the League Cup campaign like our other loanees.

Until we signed 3 more central defenders.

So we have 7 centre backs.

Dunne, Hartley, Aldred, McHugh, Donnelly, Mbulu and Maguire.

Good squad balance!

6 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Given we invariably play 352 or 442 with a diamond midfield, a winger is the last thing we need. The one we have, we use as a wing back...

What happens if Cadden and Frear are injured at the same time? Tait can't play on both wings simultaneously. Or an impact sub?

But that 4th back up centre back was the priority!

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Good squad balance!

What happens if Cadden and Frear are injured at the same time? Tait can't play on both wings simultaneously. Or an impact sub?

Yes it is actually.  Since we seem to favour 3 at the back, have archiac reserve football back it is a rather good. 

Not to mention 3 of those named will be slotted into another position too.  

If you take it as a 3-5-2wb base formation and work on the principle that you have 2 players for every position 6 is the magic number of CBs but as you named 3 players that are familiar at playing other positions the 7 is not out of this world. 

19 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Yes it is actually.  Since we seem to favour 3 at the back, have archiac reserve football back it is a rather good. 

Not to mention 3 of those named will be slotted into another position too.  

If you take it as a 3-5-2wb base formation and work on the principle that you have 2 players for every position 6 is the magic number of CBs but as you named 3 players that are familiar at playing other positions the 7 is not out of this world. 

Reserve football can get to fuck.

And which 3 can play other positions? I see McHugh who can compete for a centre midfield spot with Campbell, Rose, Bigi, Cadden, Tanner, Grimshaw, Rodriguez and Turnbull.

At a push Dunne can play leftback but then you aren't playing 3 centre backs so.... and who is the other one?

8 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Reserve football can get to fuck.

And which 3 can play other positions? I see McHugh who can compete for a centre midfield spot with Campbell, Rose, Bigi, Cadden, Tanner, Grimshaw, Rodriguez and Turnbull.

At a push Dunne can play leftback but then you aren't playing 3 centre backs so.... and who is the other one?

McHugh can play midfield.  Dunne can play left.  Donnelly has played Right.  

Now, 7 CBs looks a little large but 7 can look a lot smaller very quickly, 1 more injury and a suspension then you're too short. 

In fact it is only a net 1 more than last season... 

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Good squad balance!

Granted, it does seem a lot, but Dunne will be out for almost half the season.  McHugh is probably seen more as a central midfielder and so that leaves us for the time being with 5, including one raw youngster (hopefully he'll get some game time) to play a 3-5-2 formation.   

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Granted, it does seem a lot, but Dunne will be out for almost half the season.  McHugh is probably seen more as a central midfielder and so that leaves us for the time being with 5, including one raw youngster (hopefully he'll get some game time) to play a 3-5-2 formation.   

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Good squad balance!

Jesus wept. Donnelly and Dunne give cover for Right Back/Left Back and McHugh is seen as a midfielder by himself and his manager.........your comment is like stats i.e. skewed to try and support your argument. Mbulu will also be going into the Reserves in the first instance and may never play in the first team. 

The people moaning now would be the same people moaning if we lots two Centre Backs to long term we injury and had no cover.

How about we just wait and see how the first 5-6 games go before rushing to chastise  a manager who has delivered relative success for our budget! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Jesus wept. Donnelly and Dunne give cover for Right Back/Left Back and McHugh is seen as a midfielder by himself and his manager.........your comment is like stats i.e. skewed to try and support your argument. Mbulu will also be going into the Reserves in the first instance and may never play in the first team. 

The people moaning now would be the same people moaning if we lots two Centre Backs to long term we injury and had no cover.

How about we just wait and see how the first 5-6 games go before rushing to chastise  a manager who has delivered relative success for our budget! 

We have no depth outside of centre back and centre mid. Adding another centre back and declaring job done for building the squad is stupid.

Of course it might make Robinson look foolish to have to sign a young attacking midfielder since he sent Hastie and MacLean out on loan.

8 hours ago, Casagolda said:

We have no depth outside of centre back and centre mid. Adding another centre back and declaring job done for building the squad is stupid.

Of course it might make Robinson look foolish to have to sign a young attacking midfielder since he sent Hastie and MacLean out on loan.

I’d argue that by having 5 strikers, (6 if you include Tanner) fighting for 2 places, that would indicate depth.

I’d also say that by having 2 first team goalkeepers, as well as having 2 young guys that could step in, in case of emergency, that would also indicate depth there too.

ATS and Dunne can cover left back, and Tait and Donnelly can play at right back. If it’s wingbacks, then you could also add Cadden and Frear to that which would also seem we have enough depth there as well.

Ultimately, the only positions we lack depth are wingers and attacking midfielders, neither of which really feature in our play all too often and if we did decide to play those types, there are some options. 

Robinson said he wanted to improve the depth of the squad and I think he’s done that acceptably for the budget he was permitted.

5 hours ago, CSmith said:

I’d argue that by having 5 strikers, (6 if you include Tanner) fighting for 2 places, that would indicate depth.

I’d also say that by having 2 first team goalkeepers, as well as having 2 young guys that could step in, in case of emergency, that would also indicate depth there too.

ATS and Dunne can cover left back, and Tait and Donnelly can play at right back. If it’s wingbacks, then you could also add Cadden and Frear to that which would also seem we have enough depth there as well.

Ultimately, the only positions we lack depth are wingers and attacking midfielders, neither of which really feature in our play all too often and if we did decide to play those types, there are some options. 

Robinson said he wanted to improve the depth of the squad and I think he’s done that acceptably for the budget he was permitted.

Yes there is depth in the squad now but unfortunately no quality ,a squad overloaded with no talent means it will be a long season