McHugh

Cadden

Bigi

Campbell

Gorin

Frear

Johnson

Main/Sammon

Never gonna happen though. We'll have Grimshaw and Rose in there to "win the right to play football".

For me thats the perfect line up

15 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Frear out Tait in then it would be the perfect line up 

Don't worry - Robinson will make sure our best player in the League Cup group won't be anywhere near a starting slot. He'll be keeping the bench warm beside Bigi and Gorrin.

Lucky for us Templeton got his big money move to Burton Albion, but anyone with pace on either wing is going to cause us problems I think.  Tait is great going forward, but not exactly nippy when tracking back.

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

Don't worry - Robinson will make sure our best player in the League Cup group won't be anywhere near a starting slot. He'll be keeping the bench warm beside Bigi and Gorrin.

Lucky for us Templeton got his big money move to Burton Albion, but anyone with pace on either wing is going to cause us problems I think.  Tait is great going forward, but not exactly nippy when tracking back.

Frear might be fast but couldn't tackle a fish supper ain't no wing back he is an out and out winger hasn't a clue how to play wing back . You could have scored a hat trick against City 

48 minutes ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

Not usually a doom merchant, but I'm not entirely confident going into this.

Would love to cuff them by 5 or 6, but I can see a shitfest 1-1 draw more than anything else.

I have a horrible feeling of a 3-1 defeat. Obviously hope I'm proved wrong..

Bit of pressure on us in this one I feel due to many having concerns about summer recruitment/form/formations/strategies etc.

This is realistically, on paper, our best chance of a win in the opening 7 fixtures and if we don’t get it, coupled with a decent performance then Robinson’s critics will feel vindicated.

You’d like to think after Easter Road that Bigirimana and Johnson both start but I wouldn’t be too sure of that.

I'm a bit apprehensive about this one tbh, we really need to get a win with games against Rangers and Hearts coming up.

I can't say I've seen much football played in these games the past few years and wouldn't expect anything different tomorrow. I can hear Robbo saying 'earn the right to play' already.

I think Campbell coming back in will be a big help as the midfield looked totally disjointed without him at Hibs. For me,  Cadden needs to come back wide as he offers nothing throught the middle IMO. ATS didn't look ready at all last week. I'd revert back to the wingback selection from last year until he's up to speed.

Johnson is a no brainer and deserves a chance from the start after Sunday. I think it's likely we will see him included. I'd also like to see Gorrin included from the start rather than Grimshaw/Bigi etc. From what I have seen he looks dynamic, has technical ability and likes a tackle. Basically what we have been lacking in the middle. Get him in please.

On the calls for Bigi to start on twitter etc. I might be totally wrong here but I really don't see Bigi doing anything with Motherwell, I'd love to be proven wrong but I honestly just don't see it. The narrative just now seems to be that he should be nailed on starter. I'm all for us playing a better brand of football but the majority of games he was included last year he really didn't do a great deal. I like the fact that he gets the ball down and plays but even on Sunday when he came on he booted a ball clean out the park from a simple pass. This happened on countless occasions last year so his passing is hardly flawless. I feel like there has been a bit of a false narrative since his excellent display in the cup final. This isn't entirely on him and to me is more to do with the way the manager plays does not suit him.

In terms of the rest of the midfield I maintain Rose isn't as useless as is sometimes made out. The key for me is Rose needs to be in a midfield with a balance. Don't rely on Rose to play any sort of football but his legs in the middle of the park last season were very useful. Ideally in the formation we play you want two guys that can tackle/compete and someone with greater creative ability. Rose can compete, Campbell can tackle and play. The third centre mid should be someone who can play but they need to be able to play at the pace required. As we found sometimes with McHugh last year the pace of the game can pass some by. Particularly with our fast and furious style of play at times.

Unfortunately I think Robbo will be geared up for a battle and can see Grimshaw/Campbell/Rose in the middle. Danger is Accies are probably as good as us in shitfest football so I'm not sure how that will go. Either way hopefully the fans stay with the team tomorrow. If we lose tomorrow I fear a wee bit of an overeaction. Ultimately the style of play is becoming a sticking point with many fans and I understand that but we shouldn't lose sight of the relative success Robbo gave us last season.

My team would be

Carson

Alred Hartley McHugh

Cadden Rose Campbell Gorrin Tait

Main Johnson

1 hour ago, milo said:

Bit of pressure on us in this one I feel due to many having concerns about summer recruitment/form/formations/strategies etc.

This is realistically, on paper, our best chance of a win in the opening 7 fixtures and if we don’t get it, coupled with a decent performance then Robinson’s critics will feel vindicated.

You’d like to think after Easter Road that Bigirimana and Johnson both start but I wouldn’t be too sure of that.

The only difference between this years form and last was Stranraer were better than Berwick Rangers.  Have people forgot how bad we were against Berwick or how close we came to losing to Edinburgh City?

11 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I can't say I've seen much football played in these games the past few years and wouldn't expect anything different tomorrow. I can hear Robbo saying 'earn the right to play' already.

And he'd be quite right.  If we aren't up for a battle, Accies certainly will be.  As Martin Canning knows only too well its hard to play good flowing football if you're not in possession, or being hassled and closed down.   We have to have players on the pitch who can bite, scratch and claw in a battle of a  game.  But... I hope we'll also have a few better footballers out there too.   Its about balance.  By way of comparison, all of last season's top six are quite capable of biting, scratching and clawing when they need to.  If we ignore the dirty, nasty stuff and try to play good open football with the limited resources we have at our disposal then Accies will win it.  

But, as I say, its about balance and I'd like to see a place in some role for the likes of Frear,  Johnson and Bigi/Gorrin. 

I know it was end of season, but our easiest victory was when we played them off the park in our last game. The times when we've struggled (like the game in December) is when we were drawn into a battle and dragged down to their level.

• Like 1

I said last week the luckiest break we will get all season is having Accies in the second week of the season.  With Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock all coming up it's essential we win this one and get some points on the board.

This seasons Accies are as poor a side as you are ever going to play at this level, since last term they have lost Skondras, Devlin, Gillespie, Crawford, Brophy, Templeton, Lewis Ferguson and others, the core of a decent side, and replaced them with nobody of any note.

They scored 1 goal in three league cup matches against Annan, Airdrieonians and Livingston and got pumped off Hearts last week.

No excuses, I'm afraid.

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I know it was end of season, but our easiest victory was when we played them off the park in our last game. The times when we've struggled (like the game in December) is when we were drawn into a battle and dragged down to their level.

The Accies team we beat 3-0 will be similar to the one we face at the weekend - ie, it was minus all the better players that Accies have had over the past couple of seasons.  The December side still had a core of good players all of which are now gone.

They still supposedly outplayed Hearts got the first half hour last week but their heads seemed to go down when Hearts went in front and Hearts stepped it up a gear. My concern would be if we fall behind and are left huffing and puffing to try to score. 

53 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The Accies team we beat 3-0 will be similar to the one we face at the weekend - ie, it was minus all the better players that Accies have had over the past couple of seasons.  The December side still had a core of good players all of which are now gone.

True - but our line up will be closer to the one that lost badly in December. Minus Tanner.

I'm not saying we can't win it - I'm saying that we win it by not getting dragged down their level in a needless battle.

-------------------------Carson---------------

-----Aldred----------Hartley----------McHugh----

Tait---------------Campbell-------------ATS

---Cadden----------------------Bigirimana

--------------Main-------Johnson------

Subs: 

Gillespie 

Maguire 

Donnelly 

Gorrin

Rose

Turnbull

Scott 

Sammon

Cant wait for this game, my first of this season.

Cadden has to be put on the wing he is useless in the middle and we have plenty who can play there. Be good to have campbell back to. Id have tait on the left ahead of frear bring frear on if needed.

Gonae be tough as a derby always is but i see us winning this by a couple of goals, more than anything we must not lose.

COYW!