2018'19 Game 2: Hamilton Accies (H) Saturday 11th August

Andy_P

Worst display I've seen. Watched cup ģames but didn't see the Hibs game. Thought the performances in the Cup were not up to much considering the opposition and thought we would have to up the performances in the league. Today's game was terrible, I find it difficult to pick anything good to say about anyone. We really have to do something to alter our style of play, more time spent punting ball forward with absolutely nothing to show from it.. I've watched the Well for almost 60 years and can honestly say this is the worst footballing side ever. Quite honestly to call themselves footballers is a joke and against advertising standards.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Most of the cup games involved us being gifted goals. Four howlers from Aberdeen. An OG and a goalie mistake from Hearts. A penalty and an OG from Accies. Two goalie mistakes from Hearts.

We didn't deserve to lose any of those games but we were given huge luck in winning them. In pretty much any game where we aren't gifted the opening  goal we struggle badly.

So we fluked two cup finals beating Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts along the way? You can spin things any way you like if you want to. 

I will not pretend that we have had a good start to the season and I agree that the style of football could be greatly improved but to write off two cup finals and a 7th place finish last season suggests to me that expectation is unrealistically high.

• Like 1

That was eye-bleedingly bad

Some people call it pub league and on that no wonder.

Route 1 is ok as long as its effective, but it was entirely apparent that we were making it easy for Accies today.

Campbell and Tait going off was bizarre, albeit I was looking for Johnon on.

We'll be lucky to have a point 4 games in.

28 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Just to be clear, we're allowed to disregard league games that we won because they were before a cup final, but actual cup games won against other Premiership teams don't count? 

I never said that, I was commentating on how utterly abysmal our league form is and has been since November! The cup games have papered over very substantial cracks here. 

And I wasnt "discounting" the games after the split, I was commenting on how those games were played in exceptional circumstances as our squad were playing for cup final places while nearly every other team we played were already on the beach. 

9 minutes ago, star sail said:

So we fluked two cup finals beating Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts along the way? You can spin things any way you like if you want to. 

I will not pretend that we have had a good start to the season and I agree that the style of football could be greatly improved but to write off two cup finals and a 7th place finish last season suggests to me that expectation is unrealistically high.

Not writing off two cup finals but we failed to turn up in both of them so the challenge to the manager was to improve the squad with better players and so far he has failed .We have a squad that's top heavy with duds and will probably have to play the season out with them which is not a nice thought 

The big worry for me is, even if we do punt Robinson, Our next manager is his assistant Las! Seeing as he is already part of our management team, would we be "treated" to the exact same style of football? And is he experienced enough to get us out of the mess we may get in?

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

The big worry for me is, even if we do punt Robinson, Our next manager is his assistant Las! Seeing as he is already part of our management team, would we be "treated" to the exact same style of football? And is he experienced enough to get us out of the mess we may get in?

Hopefully not 

Many will feel their concerns about the summer recruitment being vindicated after that absolute horror show today. 

The decision to not address the glaringly obvious areas for attention in the starting 11 and spunk the budget on bench fillers of unknown or questionable quality, and that’s before you factor in the eye bleeding (not to mention completely ineffective) tactics and utterly bizarre substitutions is going to cost Robinson his job, our probably our premier league status due the new guy having zero wriggle room to change anything due the bloated squad that’s been assembled all being under contract.

The men in charge of the purse strings need to be held accountable for sanctioning this approach also.

I fully expect us to be pointless after 7 games and adrift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Having slagged off Sammon when we signed him , I watched him closely throughout the 90 mins today to see if I was being too hard on the guy ....and after that performance I haven’t changed my mind . .workrate is zero , first touch poor , jumping for a ball is a joke for a big guy . . How he lasted the full game only the gaffer can answer that . 

I would go as far as to say if Robinson continues to rely on Sammon to lead the line this season Sammon will have his 2 nd relegation in a row and Robinson will be binned.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Whose to say the style wouldn’t be different or the players he chooses. Do you think they fully agree on everything or that Lasley decides team selections?

Not for a minute am I staying he should be manager however it would be naive to believe that Las has the exact same ethos as Robbo. Of course he will have say but do we believe the manager listens. 

On a different note, this team sounds exactly like the side he left at Oldham and the exact same issues/concerns their fans raised when he left. 

Even the best teams in the world are always trying to improve there first 11 not matter how successful they are,for robinson too completely ignore the starting line up and concentrate signing guys for the bench was lunacy,I could understand too an extent if we had missed out on signing targets and we had to rethink a bit and go down a different road but robinsons priority from the off was too only strengthen between 12-18 and it's debatable whether he's even done that,I just don't get why a manager would have no interest in making there starting line up stronger than the previous season.

That Hamilton side was the worst Premier League team I've seen come to Fir Park in a long long time. And they beat us without their goalie having to work that hard. That Hamilton team will finish above us this season. And they will finish in the bottom two. You can work out what that means. 

No leadership on the park. 

No intensity. 

No meritocracy in team selection. 

No belief. 

No real quality. 

No chance we're staying up with this squad and management team. 

I'm not even sure another manager could get a tune out of this squad. They look demoralised and not even sure what the plan is...

30 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I never said that, I was commentating on how utterly abysmal our league form is and has been since November! The cup games have papered over very substantial cracks here. 

And I wasnt "discounting" the games after the split, I was commenting on how those games were played in exceptional circumstances as our squad were playing for cup final places while nearly every other team we played were already on the beach. 

The thing is far and away our best performance over that whole period was when the first team was rested for the cup final and other players - including Maguire, Turnbull and Maclean were brought in.

Our youth team plays football that's miles ahead of our senior side.

• Thanks 1

Same old panic patter sack the manager after two leauge games ?  That really is a new low . Nearly 5000 at the game today, a lot of youngsters as well , hope they hold a diffrent veiw from the number of usual suspects on here wynding each other up. 

10 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

That Hamilton side was the worst Premier League team I've seen come to Fir Park in a long long time. And they beat us without their goalie having to work that hard. That Hamilton team will finish above us this season. And they will finish in the bottom two. You can work out what that means. 

No leadership on the park. 

No intensity. 

No meritocracy in team selection. 

No belief. 

No real quality. 

No chance we're staying up with this squad and management team. 

I'm not even sure another manager could get a tune out of this squad. They look demoralised and not even sure what the plan is...

Spot on.

3 minutes ago, stv said:

Same old panic patter sack the manager after two leauge games ?  That really is a new low . Nearly 5000 at the game today, a lot of youngsters as well , hope they hold a diffrent veiw from the number of usual suspects on here wynding each other up. 

I'm not saying sack the manger but if you think its about two league games you are way off.  We are talking about 10 months of utter guff.

Anyone paying any attention shouldn't be surprised by the start we've made.

• Like 2

Every one clamouring for Bigi to be given a start. He gets one and guess what, we launch the ball over his head for 90 minutes. Looks like Big Mick has been given the job of pre-season preparation, because all our back three want to launch 50 and 60 yards diagonals and balls to strikers that either can't jump, or only want to try and muscle the opposition. Utterly pathetic and it's going to be a long hard season.

35 minutes ago, stv said:

Yip credit where credits due

Managers watches utter huff ball for 60 minutes and makes 2 subs and somehow makes the team worse

How many do you think will be back to watch football like what was on show today

• Thanks 1

Utterly embarrassing. Been evident since the league cup started that we were pretty poor as we weren’t overly impressive in any game. Signings that have been made IMO aren’t anywhere near good enough or up to speed yet but they’ve had long enough. We can dress it up as much as we want but the team has had a full pre season to gel. The tactics and substitutions were shocking today. Love Hartley but from every game he’s played in this season he has been rank, and not overly impressed with aldred today either. Players like Frear Sammon and even now Main to an extent shouldn’t be at this club. At least we now know we have a fantastic player in the middle with Bigi he was outstanding today.

1 minute ago, supermarv said:

Utterly embarrassing. Been evident since the league cup started that we were pretty poor as we weren’t overly impressive in any game. Signings that have been made IMO aren’t anywhere near good enough or up to speed yet but they’ve had long enough. We can dress it up as much as we want but the team has had a full pre season to gel. The tactics and substitutions were shocking today. Love Hartley but from every game he’s played in this season he has been rank, and not overly impressed with aldred today either. Players like Frear Sammon and even now Main to an extent shouldn’t be at this club. At least we now know we have a fantastic player in the middle with Bigi he was outstanding today.

Agree with everything said

Bigi at least tried to play the ball on the deck

The number of times he came short looking for the ball from the back 3 only for them to thump it over his head to non existent front 3 was unbelievable 

Bad day at the office but for crying out loud it's only 2 games into the season. Yes Sammon poor and substitutions bewildering but some guys need to screw the nut. If after 10 games and we are struggling then we need to review the situation but until then let's get behind the lads....COYW

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Every one clamouring for Bigi to be given a start. He gets one and guess what, we launch the ball over his head for 90 minutes. Looks like Big Mick has been given the job of pre-season preparation, because all our back three want to launch 50 and 60 yards diagonals and balls to strikers that either can't jump, or only want to try and muscle the opposition. Utterly pathetic and it's going to be a long hard season.

I was one of the "bring in  Bigi brigade".....after he played "well" last Sunday when 3 down......whilst have to agree the long  ball launch did not help him  I thought some of his distribution was shocking ........we never really mustered an attempt on goal  after we went one down.... And realistically should be minus 6 on goal difference  as they missed a couple of sitters

the most worrying thing for me is the new signings do no have appeared to improve the team 

accies were very poor and scored a a wonder goal....feck me a poor day at the office......made worse by our continual engagement in heady tennis and bafilling substitutions 

Bigi was outstanding. Wow!!!!!. . Bigi was at best average . First 15 mins looked good involved in a lot of the play . After that he steadily got worse . Played centre of midfield against worst team in the league and couldnt control it . His free kicks were woeful and his delivery into the box was pathetic . Fantastic player? . You have seriously got to be kidding . If he’s our midfield maestro we’re in big trouble . In a sentence flatters to deceive .  Not a chance I’d hang my jacket on him to keep us up

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Bad day at the office but for crying out loud it's only 2 games into the season. Yes Sammon poor and substitutions bewildering but some guys need to screw the nut. If after 10 games and we are struggling then we need to review the situation but until then let's get behind the lads....COYW

Will always get behind the team

BUT really have to look at some of the managers decisions 

Pre season should be used to get players up to match speed …… we play 3 games and change whole team after 45 mins in each !!!

League Cup should be used to get settled team and bit of cohesion …… we chop and change all  over the place

its obvious to anyone watching that Sammon and Main are too similar to each other to be a partnership that works …… we keep trying to persevere with it and thump high balls to them

If your going to play a back 3 then 1 of them must have pace …… without Dunne we have no pace

Chris Cadden only looks like a player when he has a right back playing behind him

It took half a dozen games at the star of last season before Robinson had to play young Campbell don’t think its going to happen with young Turnbull as there’s no way Robinson going to give him a chance despite his excellent games at the end of last season 

• Like 1