`It could be worse`.

livivoice

I see Highland League Fort William lost 0-10 at home yesterday. This was their 3rd 10  goal deficit in 4 games.

Just when they thought they had turned the corner with a " close run" 0-6 defeat in midweek!!

Board are asking the increasingly dissatisfied support for more patience.

Seemingly the town of Fort William is covered in banners from the more excitable fans depicting the manager in gallows . 

I tell ye all----------heads will roll!! 

4 hours ago, livivoice said:

I’m sat by Turkish pool side sipping mojito and reading through wave after wave of negativity and thinking meh.... things could be worse.

As an English exile, I can’t honestly quantify the full extent of the problem and challenge the current manager has created or faces in the coming months.

I’m old enough to remember some really hopeless Motherwell teams. Teams that should have been relegated and saved by external events. I remember Harri Kampman.

What being an exile does is give some objectivity. I have been going to watch English football for years now. Over the years, I’ve regularly been to championship and league 2 games. Because my boy stuck on Charlton (now in league 1), he, my daughter and I are now season ticket holders.

Now there is a club that can give Motherwell a run for their money in the “it could be worse” stakes.

They have an owner who has a proven track record of asset stripping football clubs.

Charlton only had three managers between 1982 and 2006. They were homeless for years and only returned to the Valley through well organised fan power. In little more than four years, Roland Duchatelet (look him up) has churned through 12 managers. Lee Bowyer remains  interim manager since March. His regime has never been shy to refer to fans as customers leaving the support base angry and alienated.

He’s had the club up for sale for almost a year now and stands to make a profit over purchase price. He’s sold every bit of talent during his reign at cut price, has moved sub standard players around his syndicate of clubs (Tony Watt for example) and signed the likes of Josh Magennis to be the only striker on the books last year. All the while, fan boycotts have seen season tickets drop by a third since he took over.

Fan protests used to be regular at the ground and there has been coordinated demonstrations in Duchatelet’s home town with Sint-Truiden and Standard Liege (also owned by Duchatelet along with Ujpest in Hungary).

Talks of a takeover have stalled, 7 first team have left and there is no money available for new players. There is no board in place, no CEO. One part time director remains.

Last week, Bowyer debuted an u23 and couldn’t fill the bench against Sunderland and yesterday another u23 got a debut. They have a good academy and that fuck it’s there. It will be off the back of this academy that Duchatelet intends to yield his profit. It’s rumoured the reason the takeover has stalled is because he wants to retain ownership of the Valley because it is prime SE postcode real estate. The risk of the club being homeless once again is not wholly unrealistic.

Now, yes, Robbos hoofball must be pretty fuckin dire to watch but if I’m being honest, so is the rest of Scottish football. The SPFL standard flits between lower/middle league 1 (our city clubs) and lower league 1 and upper league 2 (the rest of us). All things considered, we are a big fish in our pond and would be lost in the plethora of provincials that litter the English lower and non leagues.

Motherwell have a recent proven track record of doing incredibly well with what they’ve got.

Yes, it is a piss poor start to the season and yes things need to improve. However, I have seen worse at fir park and all things in perspective.....it could be a lot worse!!!