Craig Thomson

steelboy

26 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Anyone who thinks refs are interchangeable or neutral needs to wise up.

Today we got the best we could expect from Thomson but he still favoured the bigger name players - Morelos, Lafferty, Goldson - and obviously kept his cards in his pockets  first half because he didn't want any more high profile decisions at Fir Park.

I tell it as I see it on a game by game basis. When you go into a game with the mentality that the ref is a “cheating prick” before a ball is even kicked it’s pretty easy to work out what your opinion is going to be after the game regardless of how he does. Speaking to a couple of Rangers fans from work after the game they thought he had it in for Rangers right from the off and was going to find a way to rob them of three points regardless so again conspiracy theories.

12 hours ago, CoF said:

Out of curiosity, what little things? 

I can't speak for Superward, but if you care to trawl back over this and and the matchday threads you'll pick up many of these "little things".  Ok maybe none were gamechangers in themselves, but could have influenced the course of the game.  If several more Rangers players had been yellow carded, as they should have been, then that would have influenced their game and desire to compete. MacGregor's elbow on Hartley is an interesting one.  On that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he simply missed it.

Referees are only human and in a fast paced game, they'll inevitably make mistakes when making instant decisions.  Some incidents will be missed, I get that.   However in the case of Thomson yesterday it was his judgement that was consistently inconsistent.  He clearly saw what took place in many instances but his decision making was very suspect.  To take one minor example.  Early in the game he ticked off Carson for timewasting.  Yes, the latter was timewasting but I didn't think it was that excessive and he did it just the once.  However throughout the second half we had MacGregor blatantly timewasting on several occasions yet Thomson didn't speak to him.  Why?     

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I can't speak for Superward, but if you care to trawl back over this and and the matchday threads you'll pick up many of these "little things".  Ok maybe none were gamechangers in themselves, but could have influenced the course of the game.  If several more Rangers players had been yellow carded, as they should have been, then that would have influenced their game and desire to compete. MacGregor's elbow on Hartley is an interesting one.  On that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he simply missed it.

Referees are only human and in a fast paced game, they'll inevitably make mistakes when making instant decisions.  Some incidents will be missed, I get that.   However in the case of Thomson yesterday it was his judgement that was consistently inconsistent.  He clearly saw what took place in many instances but his decision making was very suspect.  To take one minor example.  Early in the game he ticked off Carson for timewasting.  Yes, the latter was timewasting but I didn't think it was that excessive and he did it just the once.  However throughout the second half we had MacGregor blatantly timewasting on several occasions yet Thomson didn't speak to him.  Why?     

I could not believe he only added 3 minutes, despite 6 subs and Rangers players taking at least a minute to walk off. McGregor was twice shown the watch by Thompson but no sanction. He is at best incompetent and inconsistent but certainly does not give us much in a game.  

On 8/24/2018 at 3:18 PM, daver said:

Collumtends to be awarded a lot of the higher profile games which we are less likely to win. That would partly explain the low percentage of wins with him involved. 

To be honest, I don't really think there's bias involved, just incompetence. 

Incompetence and inconsistency are major elements in Scottish refs'performance. Arrogance levels is another (I know a number of people who have been linesmen and they quote the last aspect as being the characteristic which amplifies any element of the previous two).

Not strictly speaking Motherwell related but if you've not seen the refereeing debacle for this weekends Partick Thistle game it's well worth looking out for. 

Partick Thistle take a corner from the right hand side, score, referee disallows goal and gives a throw in on the left hand touchline to Morton.  Unbelievable. 

https://twitter.com/PartickThistle/status/1036025973798588417 https://twitter.com/PartickThistle/status/1036025973798588417

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Not strictly speaking Motherwell related but if you've not seen the refereeing debacle for this weekends Partick Thistle game it's well worth looking out for. 

Partick Thistle take a corner from the right hand side, score, referee disallows goal and gives a throw in on the left hand touchline to Morton.  Unbelievable. 

https://twitter.com/PartickThistle/status/1036025973798588417 https://twitter.com/PartickThistle/status/1036025973798588417

Must be something about that end of Firhill - that was where Les Mottram had a similar fiasco back in 93, in Thistle's favour that time. 

27 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

(Given that it's been posted in the  Craig Thomson thread, also only fair to point out that Craig Thomson had nothing to do with this particular debacle.)

4 minutes ago, numpty said:

(Given that it's been posted in the  Craig Thomson thread, also only fair to point out that Craig Thomson had nothing to do with this particular debacle.)

It was Barry Cook who I don't think has refereed Premiership matches off the top of my head but mainly does second tier and cup matches. 

When Thomson retires Cook is a possible replacement! :lol:

Why do these incidents usually involve Partick Thistle?  I seem to recall in the early 60s we were playing Partick at FP and it was Joe McBride (I think???) who hit a screamer into the top of the net.  The ball then cannoned off the stanchion in the back of the net and back onto the field of play.  The referee, who was momentarily distracted didn't see the ball go into the net and promptly waved play on.  Result no goal. 

6 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Bad weekend for refs...and talking of Thomson his sending off of Devlin in Adeen Killie game was ridiculous (as were the actions of Brophy)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I read that Alan MacGregor has been at it again and was lucky not be red carded yesterday.  I've not seen the highlights of that game and don't intend to incidentally. 

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Why do these incidents usually involve Partick Thistle?  I seem to recall in the early 60s we were playing Partick at FP and it was Joe McBride (I think???) who hit a screamer into the top of the net.  The ball then cannoned off the stanchion in the back of the net and back onto the field of play.  The referee, who was momentarily distracted didn't see the ball go into the net and promptly waved play on.  Result no goal. 

It's the Firhill Triangle...

It was nice to see the footage of Firhill with the old terracing behind the goal in use. I think it looks terrible now it's been closed. Think it was at that end that John McStay scored to ensure our promotion back into the top league in the 80s.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I read that Alan MacGregor has been at it again and was lucky not be red carded yesterday.  I've not seen the highlights of that game and don't intend to incidentally. 

It was so blatant, everybody in the Sportscene studio agreed it was a red card offence.

2 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

It was nice to see the footage of Firhill with the old terracing behind the goal in use. I think it looks terrible now it's been closed. Think it was at that end that John McStay scored to ensure our promotion back into the top league in the 80s.

I think you're right. I was at that game - not a classic.

The Djoum tackle was an absolute shocker as well.  Red everyday of the week

5 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Bad weekend for refs...and talking of Thomson his sending off of Devlin in Adeen Killie game was ridiculous (as were the actions of Brophy)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

And the red that never was. The Djoum tackle was an absolute shocker and the most blatant red you will ever see.  Of course it only got a yellow! 

5 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think you're right. I was at that game - not a classic.

Even further back, that was the terracing I watched Ian Clinging score two absolute belters in the same game, picked the ball up at the edge of our box and ran 80 yards before smacking the ball into the back of the far away net, then repeated the trick shortly afterwards, 1979(ish) I think

34 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Even further back, that was the terracing I watched Ian Clinging score two absolute belters in the same game, picked the ball up at the edge of our box and ran 80 yards before smacking the ball into the back of the far away net, then repeated the trick shortly afterwards, 1979(ish) I think

Ian C  was a fine player who somehow didn't quite hit the heights  his skills suggested he would. His relatively frail build may have been a factor.

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

Ian C  was a fine player who somehow didn't quite hit the heights  his skills suggested he would. His relatively frail build may have been a factor.

Agreed, he looked like the big next thing for a while  but whether it was his slight build or just a lack of desire to keep working hard, he definitely didn't achieve what his talent promised.

I also have a clear memory of a mid-week game on a horrible night of rain, wind and near zero temperatures and Ian was just hanging about on the wing with his hands tucked up into his sleeves looking miserable and dis-interested. I think he was off to Morton not long after that.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:05 AM, Ya Bezzer! said:

As bad as that decision is, the real travesty is how much it has been swept under the carpet. You can't even find it on the BBC sport pages. Now imagine that the decision had went against either of the ugly two........