2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

Rangers look to be really moving forward and have just added another quality player for this level so it’s going to be extremely tough to get anything out of this. Can’t see past a defeat in this one before we start to turn the corner.

A win here would more than make up for the horror show v Accies and more importantly get our season started in earnest.

Unfortunately I can see us getting absolutely murdered about 4-0 or worse.

Can’t believe we got Thompson as the ref again.

-------------------Carson------------

Aldred---------Hartley------McHugh

Cadden-------Campbell--------Tait

-------Bigirimana------Gorrin-----

------Bowman--------Johnson

Subs: 

GiIllespie

McGuire 

ATS

Rose 

Turnbull

Frear

Main

2-1 please

I pretty much agree with that team except I thought Bowman was injured. I suppose I would put Main in for Bowman and have Sammon on the bench in his place.

15 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Subs: 

GiIllespie

McGuire 

ATS

Rose 

Turnbull

Frear

Main

2-1 please

57 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Subs: 

GiIllespie

McGuire 

ATS

Rose 

Turnbull

Frear

Main

2-1 please

Bowman is still out injured.  Replace him with Main and Rose for Gorrin, the combination of Gorrin and Bigi against Rangers could backfire big style although I do think he could make an impact as the season progresses.

Comments attributed to Peter Hartley in the tabloids won't help matters.  What an absolutely stupid thing to say (if true, of course).

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peter-hartley-warns-rangers-no-13125302

"When we cross the white line on Sunday there won't be much respect shown to be honest.

"I think Bowman broke a boy's nose didn't? So that was fun to watch him weeping."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mortonhallwell said:

Craig Thomson is apparently the ref. Can't believe we've got this incompetent twat again. What's the betting he'll be the main topic of conversation after the game. 

Like many others, I got a bit of a shock when it turned out that he hadn't retired after all.  As far as I know our club made polite noises through the proper channels last season about his performances, unlike Celtic and Sevco who use their pet redtops to blast their complaints to all who all who want to hear and those who don't. This appointment in a relatively high profile game seems to me to be a clear and blunt GIRFUY message from the SFA to us to put us firmly in our place.

I've got the fear a bit about Sunday to be honest with you but hopefully I'm totally wrong.. I don't think Rangers are brilliant but they are certainly looking very solid at the back and have improved their quality in the majority of positions. Still, on our day we can give them a good game but everyone needs to be on it.

To me, this isn't a game for a midfield containing both Bigi and Gorrin. Yes, I want us to play more football generally speaking but against Rangers probably isn't the place for it. A happy medium can be achieved by having one of them in the team but having another combative player (Rose) in the middle of the park. If there is a game to play sh*tfest football and rough up the opposition, Fir Park against the Old Firm is probably the place. I'd like to see us get back to the pressing and harrying we had at some points last season.  For example the way we played against Celtic at home, we made the park small and pressed high at any opportunity. I don't feel like we have done this properly for some time now.

I like Hartley and on the face of it love the comments he has made but once you take a step back and think about it has he just given Gerrard his team talk for Saturday? Not sure it's the brightest. On the pitch, everyone needs to step up on Sunday. I wasn't at Livi last week but it still doesn't sound like we were back to any sort of great level of performance. I'd like to see the likes of Chrissy Cadden start to get it together, I love Cadden but I don't feel like we've seen anything from him for some time now. Time for some of these guys to provide a better than average perfomance. That's what we will need to get any sort of result on Sunday.

Carson

Aldred Hartely McHugh

Cadden Gorrin Campbell Rose Tait

Main Johnson

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

To me, this isn't a game for a midfield containing both Bigi and Gorrin. Yes, I want us to play more football generally speaking but against Rangers probably isn't the place for it. A happy medium can be achieved by having one of them in the team but having another combative player (Rose) in the middle of the park. If there is a game to play sh*tfest football and rough up the opposition, Fir Park against the Old Firm is probably the place. I'd like to see us get back to the pressing and harrying we had at some points last season.  For example the way we played against Celtic at home, we made the park small and pressed high at any opportunity. I don't feel like we have done this properly for some time now.

Absolutely.  If we play both Gorrin & Bigi the defence will take a roasting.  Of the two, Gorrin looks to be slightly more of an all rounder. I agree that Main & Johnson should start.  

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The pressure is on Hartley to perform now.

Thomson will have marked his card already.

Yep. Not sure those are the kind of comments a club captain can get away with at any time, but not least when we're sitting bottom of the league. 

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It feels like because he's been injured he's keen to make up for it with enthusiasm in the media. He might be the kind of guy who reacts well to stuff like this but I don't think Robinson and particularly Bowman will be very happy with him.

He has form with this, even when he's not been injured. Last season he was talking it up about being a physical game and how happy he was to fight people on the pitch or off the pitch.

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

He has form with this, even when he's not been injured. Last season he was talking it up about being a physical game and how happy he was to fight people on the pitch or off the pitch.

Yep.  Offered a square go with Morales before the Cup Semi Final.  Worked an absolute treat too

• Like 1

Just now, Wellfan1984 said:

Yep.  Offered a square go with Morales before the Cup Semi Final.  Worked an absolute treat too

Aye - it's talk like that that gives refs license to make all those excellent red card and penalty decisions - like in the Cup Final.