2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

21 minutes ago, stuwell said:

I said hard tackle & reputation - we all know the whole of Scottish football is unfairly influenced by the bigot brothers. 

I meant refs are subject to being influenced by all sorts of external factors, but reputation will do it too. I'd bet Jim Goodwin picked up a few more yellows based on his reputation where someone like Joe Wark was given the benefit of the doubt.

The comments haven't done guys like Curtis Main, or any others who aren't frightened to use their physique in an aerial challenge, any favours.

Expect to see plenty of reaction from the Rangers players on Sunday, we'll see a few down holding their faces and suggestions of elbows being used. With Thomson in charge he won't let an opportunity to produce a card get past him.

• Like 1

I like the rough side of the game but there are some things you can't say.  Hartley has done us, and himself, a massive disservice with his comments. 

However he seems to have these sorts of outbursts in his locker and yet he's been made club captain. 

Perhaps, ultimately, it wasn't the wisest decision to put him into a role that he doesn't seem especially suited too.

As I've already noted this season, away from the lenses and microphones, I've not been impressed with his captaincy on the field either.

As regards the game in general, I have no idea how good Rangers really are but they have gone 10 games undefeated and have hardly conceded any goals so they will be very confident at the very least.  Having seen every minute we've played this season I suspect we are going to have to see a massive performance increase to get anything out of the match.

Will be especially interested to see if Johnson starts or if Robinson reverts to type.

Rangers are not world beaters. We need to concentrate on our game and what works for us. If it becomes as bit of a scrap, and we get a fair hearing from the officials in that regard, then we can take something from it.

As for Hartley's comments. Inappropriate and misjudged. He will learn from it, hopefully. However, we need a captain who will lead and not take a backward step, so I am not too bothered if he isn't quite ready to join the diplomatic corps.

Some people in the World have lost their sense of humour, yes it's debatable if he should have made the comment that the Compliance Officer is reviewing, but it'll make no difference to Rangers motivation, how the officials carry out their duties or make the game any harder for the Motherwell team. 

How many of the current Rangers team know or have even heard of Peter Hartley or were playing in the game when the nose was accidentally injured?  

Is it just me or have people got so soft that Hartleys comment upsets/annoys so many? Noise about hehaw in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Is it just me or have people got so soft that Hartleys comment upsets/annoys so many? Noise about hehaw in my opinion.

I'm certainly going soft keeping up to date with this thread. I read the last sentence as 'Nose about hehaw in my opinion'. Time to call it a night I think.

Hartley has to put in a captains performance now. Hard, non compromising but calm. He puts a foot out of place on Sunday and I think he will be off. 

1 hour ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Some people in the World have lost their sense of humour, yes it's debatable if he should have made the comment that the Compliance Officer is reviewing, but it'll make no difference to Rangers motivation, how the officials carry out their duties or make the game any harder for the Motherwell team. 

How many of the current Rangers team know or have even heard of Peter Hartley or were playing in the game when the nose was accidentally injured?  

I'm guessing if the roles were reversed and a Rangers player had come out in the press about enjoying watching a Motherwell player having his nose broke no one would have said a peep about it?  Eh...maybe not.

Anyway it motivates the opposition, puts Hartley under the spotlight from referees and puts the club in a bad light, this was a lead story on the BBC earlier in the day.

It's nothing to do with going soft and everything to do with having some kind of intelligence when talking to the press.   When we have a game with a referee who made at least two atrocious red card decisions against us last season why on earth would you go out and talk about some serious foul play that we got away with?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'm guessing if the roles were reversed and a Rangers player had come out in the press about enjoying watching a Motherwell player having his nose broke no one would have said a peep about it?  Eh...maybe not.

Anyway it motivates the opposition, puts Hartley under the spotlight from referees and puts the club in a bad light, this was a lead story on the BBC earlier in the day.

It's nothing to do with going soft and everything to do with having some kind of intelligence when talking to the press.   When we have a game with a referee who made at least two atrocious red card decisions against us last season why on earth would you go out and talk about some serious foul play that we got away with?

This - plus it just unprofessional making a public statement about enjoying the injury of a fellow player. Doubly so, when you are representing the club as a captain.

This - plus it just unprofessional making a public statement about enjoying the injury of a fellow player. Doubly so, when you are representing the club as a captain.
I took the "funny" part he was referring to as being the over the top whining and media circus as a result, rather than the fact Cardoso's nose was broken.

Inarticulate and clumsy from the captain, but I don't think for a second he's suggesting that it's fun to injure fellow professionals.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

When we have a game with a referee who made at least two atrocious red card decisions against us last season why on earth would you go out and talk about some serious foul play that we got away with?

It wasn't foul play, let alone serious foul play.  Don't believe all you read in the media.

As an aside how do we know the Compliance Officer is investigating?  Has she issued a note of complaint?  If not, has there been some kind of leak to the media or indeed has someone from the media raised the issue with her?

All said and done though, Peter Hartley should not have made these comments.    

The snowflakes are alive and well within the Motherwell support I see...

...if this was any other team (bar Celtic), we wouldn't be having this bullshit, from an off-the-cuff quip. Rangers have turned into a Club who love to be offended, they love to be the victim, they love to have a reason to say 'see, everybody hates us'...fuck them. The media latch onto this, and before we know it we're putting out grovelling apologies to a Club whose fans have got themselves into bother umpteen times already this season, fighting and coming off second best at home and abroad...this is a Club that condones, by continually turning a blind eye to the 'special atmosphere' created home and away, glorifying in the death and destruction of all things Catholicism. This is a Club, that along with the other cunts from the East End, have consistently bled the Scottish Leagues dry, and we're apologising to them because our captain said that he laughed at the way Cardoso moaned about a broken nose? 

A broken fucking nose, not a life-threatening injury, not a leg-break or a decapitation...a broken nose, and while the way he put it across was clumsy, its been blown out of all proportion by the victims from Ibrox and their self-serving pals in the media, meanwhile we've got Motherwell fans wringing their hands and worrying about, what the rest of Scottish fitba' thinks of us...I've got news for you, they think we are a team of cloggers and thats down to our style of play and whether Hartley said that or not, they would still think that this morning...our fans are worrying about Steven Gerrards team talk, c'mon tae fuck really? If he needs Peter Hartley to get his team wound up and up for it, then hes in a bit of bother...our fans are worrying about the referees take on it, but its Craig Thompson and he'll fuck us over whatever the fuck we say or do, we could send the physio in to give him a massage with a happy ending before the match and he'll still give these cunts everything on Sunday.

I've heard others ask, 'but what if the roles were reversed and it was a Rangers player laughing at our player for being a big fucking lassie'...my answer to that, 'the compliance officer would be giving not one single fuck'. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

...if this was any other team (bar Celtic), we wouldn't be having this bullshit, from an off-the-cuff quip. Rangers have turned into a Club who love to be offended, they love to be the victim, they love to have a reason to say 'see, everybody hates us'...fuck them. The media latch onto this, and before we know it we're putting out grovelling apologies to a Club whose fans have got themselves into bother umpteen times already this season, fighting and coming off second best at home and abroad...this is a Club that condones, by continually turning a blind eye to the 'special atmosphere' created home and away, glorifying in the death and destruction of all things Catholicism. This is a Club, that along with the other cunts from the East End, have consistently bled the Scottish Leagues dry, and we're apologising to them because our captain said that he laughed at the way Cardoso moaned about a broken nose? 

A broken fucking nose, not a life-threatening injury, not a leg-break or a decapitation...a broken nose, and while the way he put it across was clumsy, its been blown out of all proportion by the victims from Ibrox and their self-serving pals in the media, meanwhile we've got Motherwell fans wringing their hands and worrying about, what the rest of Scottish fitba' thinks of us...I've got news for you, they think we are a team of cloggers and thats down to our style of play and whether Hartley said that or not, they would still think that this morning...our fans are worrying about Steven Gerrards team talk, c'mon tae fuck really? If he needs Peter Hartley to get his team wound up and up for it, then hes in a bit of bother...our fans are worrying about the referees take on it, but its Craig Thompson and he'll fuck us over whatever the fuck we say or do, we could send the physio in to give him a massage with a happy ending before the match and he'll still give these cunts everything on Sunday.

I've heard others ask, 'but what if the roles were reversed and it was a Rangers player laughing at our player for being a big fucking lassie'...my answer to that, 'the compliance officer would be giving not one single fuck'. 

It was a stupid thing to say, other than that people can make of it what they wish. If we get beat on Sunday it won’t have anything to do with what Hartley said though. People still make too much of other factors when it’s 95% down to the quality of a team. Rangers will have a better season because they are now actually a better team than the one we faced at Hampden and that alone makes the challenge for clubs like ours tougher.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Yeah, this, every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

I took the "funny" part he was referring to as being the over the top whining and media circus as a result, rather than the fact Cardoso's nose was broken.

Inarticulate and clumsy from the captain, but I don't think for a second he's suggesting that it's fun to injure fellow professionals.

Very much this.

As usual the media have found an angle.

It wasn't the physical injury he found 'fun' it was the subsequent  fortnight of greiving and wailing.

In the original incident, I didn't see the Bowman elbowing as being deliberate at all and I've watched it several times. Ryan is watching the ball and is levering himself to get airborne. However, the elbowing of Moult in the first half, which no-one seems to talk about in the media, was deliberate.

To his credit, Barry Ferguson said he couldn't believe people were still talking about the Bowman incident after a week.  "It's a man's game," he said, implying these things happen without malice in a physical game like football.

Hartley, in his off the cuff and clumsy way, was saying he was laughing at the "grieving and wailing" of the SoW and meeja, as fat_tony,  Richie and others have said, but he really needs to be reminded about the kind of churnalists and presstitutes we have in Scotland. He failed to see the yawning man-trap they had constructed in front of him and he fell right in. His manager is usually excellent at sensing the dangers of the loaded question or anticipating where an apparently innocent question is going. PH badly needs some media training.

Being a thrawn type,   after originally thinking his remark was embarrassingly crass,  I feel  we have nothing to apologise for and I have an even greater desire for victory on Sunday, if that's possible. 

I suspect Craig Thomson will be practising his smirk for the inevitable, though, and we will see more diving than the European Championships from our visitors. I really hate being in the same stadium as them and look back fondly to the years of their banishment to the lower leagues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

35 minutes ago, Richie said:

Very much this.

As usual the media have found an angle.

It wasn't the physical injury he found 'fun' it was the subsequent  fortnight of greiving and wailing.

That’s exactly how I took it, although that’s not what came out.

It would’ve been ballsy, but would’ve been great if he’d clarified what he meant rather than release a half arsed apology.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

That’s exactly how I took it, although that’s not what came out.

It would’ve been ballsy, but would’ve been great if he’d clarified what he meant rather than release a half arsed apology.

Nah, better just to cut his losses, "clarification" could all too easily turn into digging himself further into a hole. Hopefully he'll just learn to be more careful what he says regardless of what he means, and we'll all move on.