2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

Excellent on many levels today, perfect no, but night and day from the Hamilton game. Carson should do better at the third goal and there seemed a lack of communication between him and his central defenders at the second, they were also able to swing a lot of crosses in unopposed. Middle of the park going forward though was much improved, we created plenty of chances by playing decent football and whilst it is disappointing to hold the lead twice and not win, a last minute jump about is a great way to end the game, and a point was the least we deserved.

As to Mister Thompson, somebody said he had a good game, but I can only assume good is used as a relevant term, i.e. good compared to last year, how Lafferty and Morelos got through that game unspoken to, let alone unbooked, is a mystery of Detective Rebus proportions. And how he could book Hartley (correctly) for dribbling the ball away after conceding a freekick, then, about 60 seconds later, ignore their number 6 launching the ball 60 yards up field to prevent us taking a quick throw in would be laughable if it wasn't typical of Scottish refereeing standards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, star sail said:

I have no time for Thomson as a ref, particularly after last season but I thought he managed the game well today in difficult conditions. One or two inconsistencies but no game changing mistakes. 

Can’t agree with this at all. He was utterly horrendous. 

How Lafferty & McGregor escaped a booking or even a talking too is beyond me. Also the booking of Pete for time wasting for carrying it 5 yards but letting Goldson away with volleying it the length of the pitch was unbelievable.

What a fantastic game and at 3-2 I (along with many others) were prepared to clap the team off the park. Hartley scoring with the last kick of the ball is absolute poetry.

I thought we were excellent going forward and more than matched Rangers for the 90. Astonished to turn the radio to hear faddy claiming Rangers were  dominant and we were lucky to get a point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

Thoughts? Sammon for Johnson is still a criminal sub, we had a couple late chances where a poacher could/would have been in position to finish. And Frear for Campbell was gash as well. Frear had a great cameo but should have come on for Rose who I think might have touched the ball at most, 4 times in the entire match.

Our equalizer came as Rangers shat the bed and tried to defend their 6 yard box, they were in deeper than Ron Jeremy!

I still maintain those exact subs were absolutely terrible!

Not all substitution are tactical. 

Campbell and Johnson were absolutely burst and needed to come off. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoF said:

Not all substitution are tactical. 

Campbell and Johnson were absolutely burst and needed to come off. 

Another part of Campbell’s development will be learning to manage the game whilst on a booking.

I fancied the Spaniard to come on, but, there’s a reason why Mr Robinson picks the team over me.

Andy Rose doesn’t have to be on the ball to contribute. Bigger picture, time some looked at it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CoF said:

Astonished to turn the radio to hear faddy claiming Rangers were  dominant and we were lucky to get a point. 

Sounds like he has a grudge against Robinson, if not the Club in general. Perhaps our 'Cheeky Boy' doesn't quite have the affection for our club that some thought he had ;). I think Richard Gordon was astonished by his remarks as well.

An entertaining game and we more than deserved our point.  Hopefully a springboard to move up the table.  In the first half both sides lost goals to poor defending.  Bigi's free kick for McHugh's goal was sublime.  We looked good going forward and could have scored more.  The midfield supplied the strikers with ammunition for once and we looked good.  In defence however the midfield sat far too deep and gave Rangers too much space and time; especially to sling in crosses.  The central defence and wing backs didn't cover themsleves in glory and looked a bit disorganised.  We badly missed the pace and presence of Dunne and Kipre.  The central defensive partnership of McHugh, Aldred and Hartley should only be an emergency stop gap.

In the second half we dominated, sorry Sportsound, and took the game to Rangers, who defended shakily at times.  We showed a never say die attitude against a big Rangers side who certainly did not allow us to bully them, as Gerrard promised pre match.   Thanks to Bigi and co we showed more creativity and the equalising goal in the final seconds was no less than we deserved.  Its ironic it was Hartley who scored.   Bigi had  decent game overall and was my MOTM but his corner kick taking was bit erratic and he needs muscle around him.  Overall though our best performance of the season.   Yes, there are still some weaknesses, especially in midfield and defence that need to be rectified but we are improving.  Curtis Main is starting to show some form and the likes of Campbell and Johnson are gradually getting fitter, although both looked knackered today.  Still not convinved of Chris Cadden at RWB though.

Craig Thomson had an absolute shocker from start to finish and his officiating was riddled with inconsistency.  As others have said Morelos and Lafferty ought to have been yellow carded for persistent diving; the Rangers player who launched the ball out of the ground after they scored should have joined them.  A couple of their players lifted their hands and got off with it.  Most ludicrous decision though was penalising Elliot Frear after he had skinned the defender, who tried to pull him back, and was racing into the box.  I could go on but think thats sufficient.  His performance shouldn't overshadow ours. 

Well done to the management and players.  Good, but its work in progress.  Still the team has spirit and character about it and that will be important. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Sounds like he has a grudge against Robinson, if not the Club in general. Perhaps our 'Cheeky Boy' doesn't quite have the affection for our club that some thought he had ;). I think Richard Gordon was astonished by his remarks as well.

Lee McCulloch was the same today. Quite funny actually. After Robbos interview McCulloch said Motherwell where in no way dominant at any point. His co commentator (Spence?) said we dominated the last 15 mins. LMc said well apart from dominating that they werent dominant at any point....!!! Utter buffoon. 

Actually seen a few Rangers fans saying Thomson was to blame for them not winning today. Gave them nothing all game. Actually can’t believe my eyes. 

52 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Another part of Campbell’s development will be learning to manage the game whilst on a booking.

I fancied the Spaniard to come on, but, there’s a reason why Mr Robinson picks the team over me.

Andy Rose doesn’t have to be on the ball to contribute. Bigger picture, time some looked at it.

Totally in agreement about Andy Rose 

Didnt seem to do much today but if anyone’s taped the game have a look and see how may times he breaks play up and wins headers

Someone has to be in the team for the dirty unglamorous work and Rose seems to have this down to a tee and goes under the radar to a lot of people 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Be interesting to see if 'trial by sportscene' highlights Mcgregor's elbow-drop on Hartley.

What exactly happened? From my vantage point in the POD I saw a melee in the goalmouth and a Well player (Hartley?) on the ground.  It seemed to me that a Rangers player then stamped on him or kicked him. A bit of a scuffle then ensued.    

4 hours ago, Shaka said:

Robbo happy with the defeat it seems. No other explanation for Campbell & Jojnson being subbed. Dont think Andy Rose has touched the ball once in 75 mins, and of the 2 strikers Johnson is the only one with a goal threat. Plus Sammon is utter horseshit

What a shout this is... Johnson was done in after 75 as had ran himself into the ground. The other change was bringing an attacking player on for a defensive midfielder. 

Robinson has gone for it at that point and had 4 forward players on the field chasing an equaliser. 

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

What exactly happened? From my vantage point in the POD I saw a melee in the goalmouth and a Well player (Hartley?) on the ground.  It seemed to me that a Rangers player then stamped on him or kicked him. A bit of a scuffle then ensued.    

Hartley on the deck after going for that header and McGregor intentionally lands on top of him. Just saw it on Sportscene and don't think there's enough in it for retrospective action. 

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

McGregor pretended to fall but actually threw himself down onto Hartley leading with his elbow or forearm. Like the old wrestling forearm smash after slamming the guy to the deck 

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Hartley was down, a few players having a sly kick, but Mcgregor, for no reason, 'falls' onto Hartley... Coincidentally, elbow first.

13 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Lee McCulloch was the same today. Quite funny actually. After Robbos interview McCulloch said Motherwell where in no way dominant at any point. His co commentator (Spence?) said we dominated the last 15 mins. LMc said well apart from dominating that they werent dominant at any point....!!! Utter buffoon. 

Actually seen a few Rangers fans saying Thomson was to blame for them not winning today. Gave them nothing all game. Actually can’t believe my eyes. 

I haven't deemed LMcC to be anything but a 'rabid h*n' for a long while now and pay no heed to any of his inane ramblings. Funny how we all see things differently - the sad thing is these f..kwits actually believe it.

3 hours ago, Shaka said:

Thoughts? Sammon for Johnson is still a criminal sub, we had a couple late chances where a poacher could/would have been in position to finish. And Frear for Campbell was gash as well. Frear had a great cameo but should have come on for Rose who I think might have touched the ball at most, 4 times in the entire match.

Our equalizer came as Rangers shat the bed and tried to defend their 6 yard box, they were in deeper than Ron Jeremy!

I still maintain those exact subs were absolutely terrible!

To coin a phrase...... Aye and if ma auntie had baws she'd be ma uncle. Correct and brave move by the manager.

That was the most enjoyable game for a long time. We had the right combination of physicality, pressing and decent passing from Bigi. Main looked a completely different player from the Accies game with a couple of extra weeks training under his belt and Johnson looks like a good partner for him playing on the last shoulder.

Going forward we need to get Tait on the right and Cadden back in the middle. Campbell needs to be the holding midfielder as he doesn't have the creativity to play further forward and Rose is a complete empty jersey. Rose doesn't show for passes, doesn't tackle and is basically a man down when you have the ball. I'd like to see a Campbell-Bigi-Cadden midfield and give Frear a chance a left wing back then if that doesn't work ATS. There's a good team there if we get players in their proper positions.

The intensity from today will pick us up points.

Maybe McCulloch and McFadden know that, to keep a job in the media in Scotland, you need to tow the party line: either praise the Old Firm when they win or look to find a distraction/excuse/justification when they lose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Maybe McCulloch and McFadden know that, to keep a job in the media in Scotland, you need to tow the party line: either praise the Old Firm when they win or look to find a distraction/excuse/justification when they lose.

I think that's part of it. Crags was the same when he started with BT Sport - although, thankfully, he's moved away from that now.

Outside of his media duties, I've never heard McCulloch say a bad word about us or his time with us, so not particularly bothered what he says about a particular game as a pundit. 

Robinson clearly read some of the comments on here/Facebook/Twitter etc after the start of the season. He is perhaps right that it was a wee bit over the top, but what I don't understand is how we can pass our way through a top 4 team like Rangers but resort to long ball shitfests vs the likes of Accies and Clyde.

If we set out to play like we did today every week we could genuinely be in contention for the top six and another decent cup run. If we revert to a shitfest vs Dundee next week and go long at every opportunity then the feelgood after today's result and performance will feel like it's been for nothing...

The Accies game in particular, it seemed like we convinced ourselves we'd need to be ready for some massive, physical battle. When, in reality, this season's Accies is a poor shadow of what they were even last season.  A bit of football from the kick off and it could have been very different.

11 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

If we set out to play like we did today every week we could genuinely be in contention for the top six and another decent cup run. If we revert to a shitfest vs Dundee next week and go long at every opportunity then the feelgood after today's result and performance will feel like it's been for nothing...

I think we can make the top 6 this season, but we need to get the central defence sorted to do so.  Lack of pace there could be critical. 

19 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Robinson clearly read some of the comments on here/Facebook/Twitter etc after the start of the season. He is perhaps right that it was a wee bit over the top, but what I don't understand is how we can pass our way through a top 4 team like Rangers but resort to long ball shitfests vs the likes of Accies and Clyde.

It just showed again what we are capable of if our heads are in the game. It was mentioned on tv on more than one occasion that it felt like a cup tie and that’s when we are at our best, drop the intensity and we look a poor team. As of last season we won’t be troubling the bottom two again this season despite some of the early fears, we have more than enough to stay well away from that position.  Top six I think will be a step too far but you never know, depends on Dunn staying fit and Johnson developing further which i’m sure he will. Big plus is Main starting to look like his old self and Bowman coming back which gives us good options up front, with Sammon and Tanner also in the mix I don’t see  goals being a problem as we move forward. Gorrin also has a big part to play for me and Biggi just keeps improving. 

Yes as I guess you  all realise by now i’m a glass half full guy so maybe over optimistic but signs today we could have a half decent season again.

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think we can make the top 6 this season, but we need to get the central defence sorted to do so.  Lack of pace there could be critical. 

When Charles is back we should be okay pace wise at the back ,but the manager will have decision to make about who drops out