2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The Accies game in particular, it seemed like we convinced ourselves we'd need to be ready for some massive, physical battle. When, in reality, this season's Accies is a poor shadow of what they were even last season.  A bit of football from the kick off and it could have been very different.

Said that at the game today. 

That starting 11 would have beat Accies comfortably. Danny Johnson’s movement alone would have caused their defence chaos. 

I’m actually starting to think we have a right find here. He looks the business. 

• Like 1

That was a really enjoyable game of football today. A really good performance against a much improved Rangers side. We should take a lot of confidence from that going forward and it says a lot that we are probably a bit disappointed not to have taken all 3 points. The scenes at the end though after that equaliser! Just shows what a special group of players we have. When you see how much that result means to them its pretty easy to feel that bond between the team and the support. Hopefully we can put to bed the negativity that was growing within the ranks and follow it up next week with a win.

I thought Thomson hada pretty decent first half hour but it then started to unravel for him. I disagreed with a number of his decisions but its the inconsistency that pisses fans off, particularly when it appears that those inconsistencies only go one way. I dont think he is particularly anti Motherwell, but he does appear to be unduly influenced by the bigger supports.

Anyway, it all adds to the wee rosy glow of contentment we are all feeling tonight!

Heres to you Stephen Robinson!

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

What exactly happened? From my vantage point in the POD I saw a melee in the goalmouth and a Well player (Hartley?) on the ground.  It seemed to me that a Rangers player then stamped on him or kicked him. A bit of a scuffle then ensued.    

I didn't see the McGregor - Hartley incident clearly, though my brother-in-law described it a as body slam, I did see McGregor swing an elbow at Johnson though just before he was subbed, and if Johnson had reacted the way some players would have (for that read Morelos), it would have been interesting to see how Thomson would have responded. I know I sound like a paranoid Celtic fan, but I honestly don't think we have had a decent shake from the refereeing fraternity since we papped Rangers 6-1 in the play offs.

• Like 1

As I said earlier on in the discussion, this was my first time of seeing the team this season, and on that showing I have absolutely no idea what everyone was wetting their knickers about!!

All the talk beforehand was about how Peter Hartley had done Rangers team-talk for them, on the evidence of the match though it looked like Steven Gerrards cries of 'we'll be bullied by nobody' actually gave the Motherwell team a wee incentive, with Campbell, Hartley and Aldred in particular crashing into tackles and challenges from the 1st minute and Johnson and Main up front causing Goldson and Katic that many problems that they had to re-arrange their defensive shape. Johnson and Main, look like a partnership that could work, throw Bowman into the mix and we have options...I also thought Frear had a smashing cameo appearance as well.

Rangers have been getting lots of plaudits for how much they have improved under Gerrard, however upon glancing at their starting XI, it looked to me like there was an obvious weakness in the middle of the park. Any team with a central midfield pairing of Halliday and Jack, cannae be that good can they? This is where I think we took our momentum from, with Campbell and Bigirimana dominating that pair for reasonable spells of the game, while Rose was there clearly to shadow Ejaria, with mixed success.

A wicked deflection off Tait, who I thought had an excellent match, a moments lapse in concentration from Aldred at the 2nd and an uncharacteristic error from Carson cost us getting the 3 points, but to come away with 1 point was probably more than most would have expected given our current points total.

If we can play even 50% of our league games in the manner we played yesterday, then relegation will be a word that is never spoken about this season, while top6 is a distinct possibility and probably a straight shoot-out between us and Kilmarnock.

• Like 3

I was buzzing by the end of the match, which felt like a victory. I think it's safe to say we have our mojo back since you could see what the equalizer meant to the team. Both Hartley and Main look back to match fitness, Bigi seems part of the manager's plans and the latter seems more flexible in his tactics.

Had to laugh at BBC Shortbread's on-line compilation package: the permanently hysterical Liam McLeod said our third was "bundled in" by Hartley. Strange description for a side-footed goal but I suppose the meeja just can't help themselves.

Is it just me or were some of the pundits rather disappointed that The 'Well spoiled their "Gerrard Golden Path" narrative? Faddy's comments on radio were particularly disappointing but maybe he's just trying to establish his neutral credentials. 

Now that the dust has settled time to reflect on yesterday’s game in the cool light of day

Yes that’s the best performance of the season to date and there seemed to be more energy about the team to close down and harry opponents 

The back 3 although putting in a solid performance are vulnerable to pace and don’t think Cadden at RWB and Tait at LWB works all of the goals came from deliveries from out wide 

What a difference when Tait went to the right Cadden seemed to come alive and with Tait running beyond him gave him options of slipping the ball to Tait or taking his man on something he goes not do when deployed as wing back. These two have a great understanding with each other and we should be utilising it not breaking it up. We really have to come up with formation that has Cadden and Tait on the right hand side.

If Robinson does not trust Frear as wing back how about midfield of Tait Cadden Bigi Campbell Rose ??

The front two of Curtis and Johnson look to have the makings of a good partnership but PLEASE hoe that is the last time tha we see Curtis and Sammon on the park at the same time they just don’t work together and want to be in the same place at the same time.

Now that the dust has settled time to reflect on yesterday’s game in the cool light of day
Yes that’s the best performance of the season to date and there seemed to be more energy about the team to close down and harry opponents 
The back 3 although putting in a solid performance are vulnerable to pace and don’t think Cadden at RWB and Tait at LWB works all of the goals came from deliveries from out wide 
What a difference when Tait went to the right Cadden seemed to come alive and with Tait running beyond him gave him options of slipping the ball to Tait or taking his man on something he goes not do when deployed as wing back. These two have a great understanding with each other and we should be utilising it not breaking it up. We really have to come up with formation that has Cadden and Tait on the right hand side.
If Robinson does not trust Frear as wing back how about midfield of Tait Cadden Bigi Campbell Rose ??
The front two of Curtis and Johnson look to have the makings of a good partnership but PLEASE hoe that is the last time tha we see Curtis and Sammon on the park at the same time they just don’t work together and want to be in the same place at the same time.

Agree wholeheartedly re Cadden and Tait, they both look better players playing together on the right and link up so well. As you say the issue is then the left side. Would be great if ATS could step up to the mark.

Tait is such a valuable player for us, flys under the radar, great engine, so consistent, versatile, and team player....next captain imo.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Terrific never-say-die performance yesterday. Reminiscent of 'Well sides from years back.  I thought the key player for us was Gael Bigirimana. He gives us a whole new dimension and his free-kick and corner kick deliveries were top class. The media ranted about Rangers poor defending at our 2nd and 3rd goals but gave no credit for the deliveries from Bigirimana which were both whipped in at good pace and into fantastic areas that ask serious questions of defenders. Main and Johnson must be salivating at the thought of more of the same.

I still think we need to ditch 3 at the back and move to a 4-4-2.  Yesterday it might have countered Rangers getting their wide players into the game.  Gerard has played 4-4-2 in all of his games up until yesterday and the changes to a 3-5-2 and bang he loses 3 goals.

What a game it was. Rangers didnt deserve 3 goals. was magic to have a last minute equaliser.

What stood out for me is that sammon is awful, pure rank rotten. Johnson was excellent should be first choice of all the strikers. Glad to see bowman back and frear played his part, seams to do better coming on as a sub than starting. Sammon needs to go....

Where is grimshaw is he injured?

2 minutes ago, WellFlag said:

What a game it was. Rangers didnt deserve 3 goals. was magic to have a last minute equaliser.

What stood out for me is that sammon is awful, pure rank rotten. Johnson was excellent should be first choice of all the strikers. Glad to see bowman back and frear played his part, seams to do better coming on as a sub than starting. Sammon needs to go....

Where is grimshaw is he injured?

Funny how after the game yesterday and the feel good factor that it brought. That folk are still having a go at Sammon, who played a total of 19 mins in that match. 

However, I will say you’re entitled to your opinion. Even if that opinion is coming from a complete roaster. 

• Like 1

Said on the way to the game yesterday that I prefer Cadden and Tait playing together on the right as they complement each other. Still of the same opinion. Great performance by everybody and a point was the least we deserved. Gerrard saying if the Gers had defended the two crosses they would have won 3-1. By that logic if it wasn't for a deflection for the first and a goalkeeping error for the third we would have won 3-1. Dry your eyes Stevie you were lucky to get away with a point

By the way why was Flanagan the subject of all the booing from the Hunter stand ?

18 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Said on the way to the game yesterday that I prefer Cadden and Tait playing together on the right as they complement each other. Still of the same opinion. Great performance by everybody and a point was the least we deserved. Gerrard saying if the Gers had defended the two crosses they would have won 3-1. By that logic if it wasn't for a deflection for the first and a goalkeeping error for the third we would have won 3-1. Dry your eyes Stevie you were lucky to get away with a point

By the way why was Flanagan the subject of all the booing from the Hunter stand ?

Flanagan is a wife beater. Assaulted his missus and was found guilty.  

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Tait gets a lot of praise and I agree he is a good player but his mistakes go unmentioned.

mostly when he's filling in / wrong sided , a rare thing for a motherwell support to allow for the effort in such circumstance