2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

5 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Just saw a different version filmed from the Cooper stand of the assault by McGregor in Hartley. Utterly ridiculous and should be banned by the compliance offer. 

Could easily have caused a bad injury with his elbow and knee. 

Agree now that I too have seen it from behind. However as TV and radio have ignored it, the Compliance Officer won't want to know. TV and Radio pundits act as judge and jury.

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree now that I too have seen it from behind. However as TV and radio have ignored it, the Compliance Officer won't want to know. TV and Radio pundits act as judge and jury.

Compliance officer has already said there is no case to answer, so it has been reviewed to some extent. On Sky Sports. 

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm still not sure that's true,

It was shown on the live broadcast and on Sportscene. I don't think anything will happen though, because a keeper would need to beat a striker senseless with a baseball bat before a ref would consider awarding an indirect free kick. For some reason, the rules are never applied the same way to goalies.

15 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Did the TV pundits make an issue of it? Did they say something along the lines of "MacGregor could be in trouble if the Compliance Officer sees it"

They said something (although I don't remember exactly what).

But as I said, keepers get away with violent conduct every week, so it's zero surprise there was no further action here. 

9 hours ago, El Grew said:

The media ranted about Rangers poor defending at our 2nd and 3rd goals but gave no credit for the deliveries from Bigirimana which were both whipped in at good pace and into fantastic areas that ask serious questions of defenders. 

My thoughts exactly

The media are what they are, and they know what side their bread is buttered on. I have it on good authority that Bob Crampsay's career as a commentator in the late 1960s suffered because he had the gall to speak his mind. Wanting a fair crack off them is as pointless as wanting a level playing field with referees. It ain't going to happen.

As for this game, a much improved showing and any game where you get an injury time equaliser is a point won and acceptable. We now have to follow it up with a performance and result in our next match.

1 minute ago, The African said:

We now have to follow it up with a performance and result in our next match.

Unfortunately that is the hard part. Lifting your game for the old firm is easy, however, lifting your game for the rest should be compulsory. Can we do it? Only time will tell.

Bigi's deliveries were excellent. Tavernier's defending, in particular, was dreadful.

Let the media worry about their defending and let us worry that Bigi will dropped when Dunne is fit and McHugh gets shifted back into midfield :whistling:

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

Bigi's deliveries were excellent. Tavernier's defending, in particular, was dreadful.

Let the media worry about their defending and let us worry that Bigi will dropped when Dunne is fit and McHugh gets shifted back into midfield :whistling:

I think it’s highly unlikely biggi will be dropped now. He’s getting better every game and Robinson is not that daft, he knows there would be a backlash if he now dropped him.

10 hours ago, The African said:

The media are what they are, and they know what side their bread is buttered on. I have it on good authority that Bob Crampsay's career as a commentator in the late 1960s suffered because he had the gall to speak his mind. Wanting a fair crack off them is as pointless as wanting a level playing field with referees. It ain't going to happen.

As for this game, a much improved showing and any game where you get an injury time equaliser is a point won and acceptable. We now have to follow it up with a performance and result in our next match.

He continued to speak his mind on the radio as a pundit, though. I remember when the "Off The Ball" discussion was on referees and their "decision-making", hem, hem and  he said that in his long career of watching football  (he was born in 1930) there was simply  no doubt that the Old Firm had routinely benefited from getting decisions against the rest.

Nowadays we get the likes of Daryl Broadfoot on Sportsound much too often, telling us how great the SFA is and defending the status quo to the hilt.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

...he was at it all game....verbally abusing our ballboys.

Really?  What went on?

So, no coverage of the MacGregor / Hartley incident from the BBC - what a surprise!

As for media coverage I very rarely watch Sportscene apart from internet highlights. I listen to Sportsound as little as possible.   Media bias from the commercial outfits is understandable as their first priority is keeping their owners and shareholders happy and that means maximising audiences.  No problem with that.  However I do object to a public body like the BBC showing such blatant bias.  Our TV licence money is every bit as good as that from fans of ther gruesome twosome and Aberdeen.  

I think the old firm get the benefit of the doubt and more decisions in their favour, but it’s not that the referees are corrupt or biased. They are weak. It’s easy to give a decision against Motherwell, there are no real consequences, if you give a big decision (even if it’s correct) against one of those pair...

Theres also the influence the crowd have. It happens the world over with the big teams.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Really?  What went on?

So, no coverage of the MacGregor / Hartley incident from the BBC - what a surprise!

As for media coverage I very rarely watch Sportscene apart from internet highlights. I listen to Sportsound as little as possible.   Media bias from the commercial outfits is understandable as their first priority is keeping their owners and shareholders happy and that means maximising audiences.  No problem with that.  However I do object to a public body like the BBC showing such blatant bias.  Our TV licence money is every bit as good as that from fans of ther gruesome twosome and Aberdeen.  

For someone with such a thing for big strong midfielders you're a right sensitive sally yoursel

• Haha 3

On 8/25/2018 at 9:32 AM, daver said:

Moving on, big game tomorrow and I'm not particularly confident but that's nothing new. 

I'm missing it unfortunately but was at Livingston last week and would like to see Bigi and Campbell start. Thought Main and Johnson had the makings of a good partnership but we don't look as strong at the back as we did for spells last season. There are reasons for that but I think it will be a difficult afternoon because of it.

It sounds as though I missed a cracker. It was good to see the players mentioned above start but no great surprise following performances at Livingston. 

Although they're reported to have played well, did Main and Johnson link up? Bigi seems to have picking the passes again but how did he combine with Campbell?

7 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

For someone with such a thing for big strong midfielders you're a right sensitive sally yoursel

I don't see the connection - sorry.

I like our players to be physically strong enough to put in hard challenges and powerful enough to resist them from an opponent; but at all times to play fair.  That doesn't preclude them from being fast or skillful.   Cedric Kipre was my kind of player as he was of much our support apparently. 

What we witnessed from MacGregor on Sunday was entirely different behaviour; underhanded, dirty, unfair and apparently bullying a youngster.  As Richie points out he has previous for this.  I hope you can see the difference.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Really?  What went on?

I saw a lot of different highlights over the weekend, so I may be misremembering - but I'm pretty sure the Sportscene highlights showed the incident.

And they highlighted (and discussed) the Mackay-Steven incident in the Aberdeen game.  And had a pop at Willie Collum for being too quick with his red card.

Regardless, what is and isn't shown in a 50 minutes highlight programme doesn't really bother me. If they had discussed the Hartlye incident, I guarantee the reaction would have been "he had it coming".