2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

2 minutes ago, numpty said:

Nah, better just to cut his losses, "clarification" could all too easily turn into digging himself further into a hole. Hopefully he'll just learn to be more careful what he says regardless of what he means, and we'll all move on.

You’re right, but would still be good. It was still on the back pages over a week later.

As a few have pointed out, Hartley laughing at Cardoso  with blood pishing out his face is very different from laughing at the fortnight of shite after it.  

Looking at it now, I think he was talking about the latter and  should have cleared things up in a statement rather than apologise. 

Anyway, fuck it - adds a wee bit more edge to Sunday and I think Hartley will revel in being the pantomime villain for 90 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All said and done It'll blow over after the game.

Might add a bit of lasting  resentment from Rangers fans, but they're about maxed out on that towards other clubs' fans anyway.

It's just another item to chalk down in the whole ongoing 'banter years' thing.

Just an observation on the current mentality of the Rangers fans. Reading the responses to the Hartley incident and match build up there’s a glaring paranoia from them.

They seem to think Referees, the media, SFA, politicians as well as everyone else in Scotland are out to get them. I don’t understand why? They have had 2 red cards this season, 1 was (unbelievably) rescinded, the other one was a textbook red card.

The media are absolute lap dogs to them and Celtic.

I presume they long for the days of Jim White and chick Young all but giving David Murray a gammy while he told them his latest plan for world domination and referees doing funny handshakes.

:lol:

Have never been a Gerrard fan but fair do,s to him in today’s presser got quizzed on Hartley comments and he said Guy was Nieve making they comments but has apologised so time to forget about it and move on . Then asked if ref needs to protect his players on Sunday and said ref has to protect players in both teams so very refreshing to see this response . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Have never been a Gerrard fan but fair do,s to him in today’s presser got quizzed on Hartley comments and he said Guy was Nieve making they comments but has apologised so time to forget about it and move on . Then asked if ref needs to protect his players on Sunday and said ref has to protect players in both teams so very refreshing to see this response . 

I think Gerrard has fallen into the trap of coming out with the “no one likes us” lines a couple of times, but he knows it gets the fans onside. As much as he has no real knowledge of the mentality in the west of Scotland which is totally different to down south he will, no doubt have received advice on how you do things as a manager up here. Other than that he looks to be doing a bloody good job turning them around.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Gerrard's from Liverpool. Pretty sure he's up to speed with the whole 'sectarianism' thing and the mentality of the OF and the media. 

Personally I think you need to be up here to really experience it fully.

Had a look on the Bears Den earlier and some of things they are saying about our club is way over the top .Now I think we all know Peter should have engaged his brain before opening his mouth but after reading the shite on that website I would ask every Well fan to get behind our Captain  on Sunday just to show the morons n the south stand that we won't allow them to bully us our club or our Captain 

8 hours ago, wellowell said:

I have to agree with above. I thought Gerrards interview was actually quite fair.   Lesson learned from Hartley and hopefully other Well players before opening their mouth.  We are getting ourselves a bad reputation which doesn't do us any favours

40 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Entertain visiting journalists with champagne and smoked salmon sandwiches. That should do the trick.

its not about keeping journalists happy. I just don't  like the way we are portraying ourselves at  times.  Maybe I am just too nice a guy (with honking jokes) but I would rather we are seen as a good footballing and family club

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Had a look on the Bears Den earlier and some of things they are saying about our club is way over the top .Now I think we all know Peter should have engaged his brain before opening his mouth but after reading the shite on that website I would ask every Well fan to get behind our Captain  on Sunday just to show the morons n the south stand that we won't allow them to bully us our club or our Captain 

Thats nothing, Iv been looking on here for the past few years and guess what.... Some of the things they say about our club is way over the top , and thats from our own support.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kmac said:

Words cannot describe the contempt with which these elements of society should be held within.

How so? Suspect an ignorance that knows no bounds... plenty of our support follow a similar path with plenty others readily celebrating the expression  of civil and religious liberty. That goes for some inside the club also :whistling: Staunch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

How so? Suspect an ignorance that knows no bounds... plenty of our support follow a similar path with plenty others readily celebrating the expression  of civil and religious liberty. That goes for some inside the club also :whistling: Staunch.

An expression of religious and civil liberty? 

I, as many, will have seen orange parades taking place in Motherwell. The dregs of society following the March, never cease to amaze, its like the night of the living dead. 

This element of Scottish society is the last bastion of the “Rule Britannia” brigade. It has in contemporary culture, as is well researched and documented, little to do with religion, than it does with a demographic graphic so disengaged and disenfranchised through direct and indirect action, that it clings for the safety of a group whereby they are no longer the marginalized but rather have the ability, for a short time, to marginalize others. 

So, yes I stand by my point that anyone prepared to celebrate Irish religious wars and killings (on either side of this divide) for the purpose of momentary groupthink, should be flushed out - there should be no place for this in modern civil society, in 2018, Scotland.

But hey ho, my and my ignorance eh?   

• Like 7

Yeah, ignorance. Not every parade in Motherwell is an orange parade...

Poor analogy of marginalisation in your scramble for relevance. Suspect one is tapping into a subject they know little about - no mention of the teachings, scripture and promotion of true Christian reverence, but, a focus on being disenfranchised?

One country, many cultures? Not here at any rate.

My point was in reply to how you see fellow supporters (there are many) and some employed by the club whose leanings differ to that of a bastion like yourself.

I’m not a member of any of the loyal orders, I certainly don’t require to wear a collarette to let others know what I am.

• Like 1