2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

The video from behind the goals is incriminating and McGregor was at it all game. To be honest, Im not overly fussed if he gets done or not. Trial by media is a pain in the arse.

What is a bit irking is the way it gets swept under the carpet. Bowman was the pantomime villain  for weeks after the semi final, the wagons had circled for days and it was only Pedro getting his jotters that shifted the focus a little. Had it been Bowman on Saturday who  did it, you can bet the uproar would be amplified, not just by the Rangers supporters venting their spleens on the phone ins, but the press and pundits and no doubt Brendan weighing in their thoughts on our out of control mad man........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Big Stall said:

What is a bit irking is the way it gets swept under the carpet.

Bowman was the pantomime villain  for weeks after the semi final, the wagons had circled for days and it was only Pedro getting his jotters that shifted the focus a little.

Agreed, nothing much to be expected or gained for us, except some semblance of justice

If only one of our many friends in the media could find a way to ask Brendan if hes looking for a strong referee to 'get a hold' of players like McGregor in their upcoming match

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I think the old firm get the benefit of the doubt and more decisions in their favour, but it’s not that the referees are corrupt or biased. They are weak. It’s easy to give a decision against Motherwell, there are no real consequences, if you give a big decision (even if it’s correct) against one of those pair...

Theres also the influence the crowd have. It happens the world over with the big teams.

Exactly

Good to see Collum getting the derby, though. That will leave at least one set of fans fuming - bonus if it's both.

As others have said, the "big" teams always get extra benefit from decisions. Just the same as the rich and famous get the benefit of the legal system. 

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

Good to see Collum getting the derby, though. That will leave at least one set of fans fuming - bonus if it's both.

As others have said, the "big" teams always get extra benefit from decisions. Just the same as the rich and famous get the benefit of the legal system. 

Read an article yesterday on a crackdown on tax evasion and again who is best at it, the rich individuals and biggest global companies.

10 hours ago, star sail said:

Just enjoying the highlights again and the McHugh goal gets better every time I watch it. Beautiful delivery from Bigi and a sublime cushioned header into the far corner. Superb goal.

Love the celebration too when he peels away giving the Rangers fans the stare. Happy days!!!

I think not enough was made of the free kick from Bigi for the goal.  It was the perfect delivery and you will be hard pressed to find a better one.  The ball came onto McHugh in stride.

Bigi’s free kick delivery was exceptional, particularly given how little angle he had to work with. So often you see free kick deliveries from central areas floated towards the back post but Bigi’s technique meant he was able to get both pace and dip onto his delivery. McHugh didn’t need to break stride or even jump! 

I among others was pretty negative prior to kick off on Sunday. I'm now really hopeful that performance can kick start our season. I thought we were terrific at times and got back to doing what we are good at for parts of last season. We actually should have won the game given the pressure and chances we created. The most important thing now is following this up with a performance and win over a rubbish Dundee side at the weekend. The reality is despite the performance on Sunday we are still rooted to the bottom of the league (albeit it is early doors) The most difficult thing for 'diddy' teams like us is getting that sort of performance level consistently but if we can get anywhere near that I would suggest we will overawe Dundee.

Johnson was tremendous, I never realised how sharp he is. Perhaps he wasn't fully up to speed earlier in the season. I have really high hopes for him now and can see him filling the void that I felt we had in terms of goalscorers up front.  He made Goldson and co look like amateurs, smashing the myth of their 'rock solid' defence. Main too looked back to his best in terms of general play.

I said earlier in the season that I couldn't see Bigi being a fixture in the first team this year and I'm happy admit I can see I'm wrong about that. If Bigi can play with the strength and ability he showed on Sunday he could be like a new signing this season. To me where he improved was being especially strong in the tackle. Last year I don't think he would have looked as rubust as he did on Sunday. He also seemed to better understand the frantic speed of play too albeit he nearly got caught a couple of times.

I thought Rose was tremendous. He gets such a hard rap off folk but the work he done in the middle was excellent. Special mention for Frear too who came off the bench and caused a number of problems. The pressure we had in the 2nd half was totally relentless. One of the differences to me on Sunday was the direct balls we played actually seemed to have some sort of purpose. We played the ball in behind and into the flanks rather than aimless hoofs. At the back we were fairly solid as well, McHugh and Aldred dealt with the majority of what came at them.

It was great to get it up them on Sunday, again alot of the media hype has been founded to be complete drivel. Make no mistake we bossed Rangers for the majority of that game so credit to our boys for stepping up.

McGregor won't be banned because it's Rangers but should be. It really is unbelievable the difference in reaction to this compared with our 'hammer throwing' antics last time out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, star sail said:

Love the celebration too when he peels away giving the Rangers fans the stare. Happy days!!!

Definitely my low-key highlight from McHugh. Great stuff.

6 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I among others was pretty negative prior to kick off on Sunday. I'm now really hopeful that performance can kick start our season. I thought we were terrific at times and got back to doing what we are good at for parts of last season. 

Absolutely this. 

Having seen all the league cup games and going to Easter Road, I had posted a few times in recent weeks about my concerns for the coming season. I'm ever the optimist, but but was the first season in a long time where I've thought there was something fundamentally wrong at the heart of our squad.  Most concerning was that our key players last season looked so poor, and that fight, organisation and spirit which took us to two cup finals seemed to have evaporated completely. 

On Sunday, it all came back and more, and for the first time in a few months I'm genuinely excited about what this squad can do this season. What a difference 90 minutes can make. 

Having Bigi's creative influence in the midfield and a striker that looks like he might be a natural goal scorer is definitely a step forward from even the 2nd half of last season. Still have some concerns about our lack of pace at the back, but at least that is only short term until Dunne is fit.

Aye the difference a good 90 mins can make, mind you this place will be back to usual if we don't win at Dens.

Like others I was becoming concerned about the apparent non evolvement from hoofball, however Johnson is now getting up to speed and looks a real find, Bigi now realises what he has to do to be a regular starter and it's like having a cracking new player, and we still have Tanner to come back, all of which points us towards a more creative and varied approach.

The team spirit and commitment is obviously good, just wish some of our support were a bit more positive and less inclined to sit sharpening their knives for the next setback

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Aye the difference a good 90 mins can make, mind you this place will be back to usual if we don't win at Dens.

Like others I was becoming concerned about the apparent non evolvement from hoofball, however Johnson is now getting up to speed and looks a real find, Bigi now realises what he has to do to be a regular starter and it's like having a cracking new player, and we still have Tanner to come back, all of which points us towards a more creative and varied approach.

The team spirit and commitment is obviously good, just wish some of our support were a bit more positive and less inclined to sit sharpening their knives for the next setback

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Tanner to come back, Bowman coming back to fitness, and don’t rule out Gorrin getting better and better if given a chance, along with Johnson one or two of the close season signings show promise.