2018'19 Game 3: Rangers (H) Sunday 26th August

Andy_P

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Aye - it's talk like that that gives refs license to make all those excellent red card and penalty decisions - like in the Cup Final.

No it doesn't.  Referees who make those decisions do it because they're shit at (one of) their very well paid jobs.  

10 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

No it doesn't.  Referees who make those decisions do it because they're shit at (one of) their very well paid jobs.  

Of course it does. When you build a reputation as a team of hard men where the captain is making public statements about enjoying breaking peoples' noses, any ref - good or bad - is going to view every tackle from a different perspective.

And if a bad decision is made, people on an appeals panel are going to be thinking along similar lines.

It's human nature. That's why players like Jim Goodwin were always under constant scrutiny from the refs. His reputation meant that every tackle was subject to microscopic scrutiny.

A good ref is likely to be influenced by statements like that. If the refs are as bad as you make out, do you think they have sufficient skills to ignore that kind of thing? 

• Like 1

Aye the build up is going to be about us being physical again and any strong challenge we make is going to have the South Stand in uproar.

The club captain shouldn't be mocking injuries in the media at any point but it's even worse when we are bottom of the league and pointless.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Aye the build up is going to be about us being physical again and any strong challenge we make is going to have the South Stand in uproar.

The club captain shouldn't be mocking injuries in the media at any point but it's even worse when we are bottom of the league and pointless.

This. Plus, if some clogger in the Rangers defence elbows Johnson in the face in the first 10 minutes, we have no grounds for complaint.

Presumably the comments attributed to Hartley would have come from the club's press-conference and a variety of loaded questions will undoubtedly have been asked about last season from journalists, many of whom would only be interested in getting a line rather than the club's best interests. I would like to think our captain would have been smart enough not to give them that line and  to end up where we are with some of the quotes attributed to him doing nothing much at all to paint us in a positive light.

I can see there being an opportunity to highlight some of incidents we were on the receiving end of in the Semi Final if it came up. I can see it being an opportunity to ask the media where their interest in Ryan Bowman has been in the last month when's he's been injured after an onfield assault that was arguably more severe and damaging than the bloody nose Cardoso got.

I can't see any good coming from making statements about enjoying seeing fellow players weep after an injury though.

As much as I love hartley and his no nonsense attitude,his comments here were unwise,you can be sure thomson will have it in for him before a ball is even kicked,he should be concentrating on his own game and not get involved in stuff that the media is going too jump all over,if were on the wrong end of the scoreline he's going too make himself look foolish,but having said that I hope we get tore right in about this lot on sunday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weeyin said:

This. Plus, if some clogger in the Rangers defence elbows Johnson in the face in the first 10 minutes, we have no grounds for complaint.

I agree with most of what you say Weeyin, but not this.  A foul is a foul and if Johnson is deliberately elbowed in the face I will most certainly be complaining.  Its a ref's job to remain impartial but we all know they aren't when it comes to Celtic & Sevco.  Bowman's elbow on the Rangers' player wasn't a foul, although it was reckless.  Hartley's comment, inadvisable though it was, almost came as result of a loaded question, as Andy P says.  As it is, Hartley has given Craig Thomson more leeway to make poor decisions, although he won't require it.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

He has form with this, even when he's not been injured. Last season he was talking it up about being a physical game and how happy he was to fight people on the pitch or off the pitch.

and stayed true to his word by losing the plot after the 3-1 Accies game. 

His attitude on the pitch is outstanding, but I said last season I thought he was too daft to be captain. 

Not sure if Robinson can (or will) be too pissed off about this. It's just part of making Peter Hartley captain. 

47 minutes ago, CoF said:

Not sure if Robinson can (or will) be too pissed off about this. It's just part of making Peter Hartley captain.  

I'm guessing he's not going to enjoy answering questions about this and he'll be hoping no one links it to the bullying allegation.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree with most of what you say Weeyin, but not this.  A foul is a foul and if Johnson is deliberately elbowed in the face I will most certainly be complaining.  Its a ref's job to remain impartial but we all know they aren't when it comes to Celtic & Sevco.  Bowman's elbow on the Rangers' player wasn't a foul, although it was reckless.  Hartley's comment, inadvisable though it was, almost came as result of a loaded question, as Andy P says.  As it is, Hartley has given Craig Thomson more leeway to make poor decisions, although he won't require it.

I aagree with you - and I didn't quite make myself clear. What I meant was we can't take the moral high ground about opposition players elbowing our men in the face when our captain said he enjoyed it. Of course it should still be a foul.

Calm down.

We’ve gone through countless years of pandering to the old firm. “We’ll Be lucky”, “they’ll need to have an off day”, “they’re a great side” etc etc. It has got us absolutely nowhere.  

I’m not suggesting it’s correct to be laughing at breaking someone’s nose, but put it in context.

He’s been given a loaded question and answers back in a defiant manner. Was it diplomatic? absolutely  not. 

However, the comment doesn’t have him advocating setting out to hurt someone on Sunday, he’s used it as a spin off point in regards to being competitive within the match and not lying down to two sides (here, rangers) which personify some of the least digestible elements of both Scottish footballing and wider society.

Clumsy, but not quite the green-street-preamble blunder moment that some would claim it to be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

Of course it does. When you build a reputation as a team of hard men where the captain is making public statements about enjoying breaking peoples' noses, any ref - good or bad - is going to view every tackle from a different perspective.

And if a bad decision is made, people on an appeals panel are going to be thinking along similar lines.

It's human nature. That's why players like Jim Goodwin were always under constant scrutiny from the refs. His reputation meant that every tackle was subject to microscopic scrutiny.

Can’t agree with this, referees  and panels are paid to be objective - if a tackle is hard but fair then that’s how it should be viewed.

If referees and the panel are influenced by hard tackles and reputations, Scott Brown would be banned most of the season - half his tackles are hard but fair and the rest are hard but deliberate attempts to intimidate/harm opponents. 

2 minutes ago, stuwell said:

Can’t agree with this, referees  and panels are paid to be objective - if a tackle is hard but fair then that’s how it should be viewed.

If referees and the panel are influenced by hard tackles and reputations, Scott Brown would be banned most of the season - half his tackles are hard but fair and the rest are hard but deliberate attempts to intimidate/harm opponents. 

So you think if Scott Brown played for us he'd have more or less cards?

If you think it would be more, then you are agreeing the refs are influenced by external forces.

I think when Hartley says 'that was fun to watch' he is referring to Cardossa's reaction rather than the challenge itself. However it is easy to misinterpret and there will be plenty of people, particularly Rangers supporters and many within the media, that will be more than happy to misinterpret what was said. 

Regardless, it was a really stupid comment to make and it does not inspire confidence in the qualities of our captain to lead the team.  He has put the club on the back foot before a ball is kicked, in a fixture where the dice are already loaded against us. 

Ironically as a support, we have been crying out for some time for the club to be less submissive in their pre-match interviews when playing the Old Firm and since Robinson has arrived at the club as manager the noises before Old Firm games have been far more positive. This is a step too far however and this comment smacks of the thuggery that the club have been having to defend themselves against in recent times for daring to go toe to toe with the Old Firm.  Hartley's comments are a real shot in the foot and in bad taste. 

If I was Ryan Bowman, I would be furious tonight. He has had to distance himself from claims of being a dirty player and time would have been nullifying those claims but his captains comments have put him back into the firing line and compromises his game on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

So you think if Scott Brown played for us he'd have more or less cards?

If you think it would be more, then you are agreeing the refs are influenced by external forces.

I said hard tackle & reputation - we all know the whole of Scottish football is unfairly influenced by the bigot brothers.