2018'19 Game 5: Heart of Midlothian (H) Saturday 15th September 2018

Andy_P

I must say, I really enjoyed the game on Saturday, two teams committed to win the game over the course of 90minutes. Aye, the quality of play could have been more easy on the eye at times, but there is something really enjoyable about watching two sides go at it, hammer and tongs, with neither backing down an inch.

McHugh was in line for my man of the match award, up until his (quite literally) hospital baw'...he was immense against that big unit up front for them. A wee lapse in concentration and we find ourselves a goal down, and a keeper out for a period of time, just highlighting the fine margins between getting points or not. 

I'm not an advocate of VAR, retrospective punishment, Trial by TV etc etc and I don't like the way that football has become virtually a non-contact sport, therefore I'm not going to slate their striker for a being a milli-second out on a tackle, or the referee for failing to spot it, when two players are fully committed.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I must say, I really enjoyed the game on Saturday, two teams committed to win the game over the course of 90minutes. Aye, the quality of play could have been more easy on the eye at times, but there is something really enjoyable about watching two sides go at it, hammer and tongs, with neither backing down an inch.

I take a different view.  Yes both teams were committed but that doesn't guarantee entertainment.  I wouldn't say it was a hammer and tongs game at all.  For the first 20 minutes, maybe slightly more we saw some end to end stuff but after that Hearts were content to sit back and defend in depth and hit on the break.  We had plenty of possession but  hadn't a clue where Hearts' penalty box was and our players wouldn't have known if they'd a keeper on the park or not.

Came away from FP on Saturday feeling that no player could be faulted for effort. That said it was clear that we offered little up front in the way of ingenuity or guile.

Was it just me therefore who felt that a player like Ciftci might have given Hearts a more difficult challenge what with his deft touches and imagination. Thats not to forget of course  how he could frustrate us. 

With no criticism of the club as I feel we didn't have the money to seal a deal with Ciftci , it was and is a pity I feel that we couldn't hold on to him. 

I have to agree with the last few posts. As much as I left the game frustrated, I really enjoyed the contest and thought we did pretty well at times.

First 20 minutes I thought we were in full control of the game up until the madness from McHugh. Moments before the incident I was thinking to myself how well McHugh had been doing defensively. To be honest, if you take that massive mistake out I think he was one of our best performers which makes it even more unfortunate that he made such a fatal error. His handling of Ikpezu in particular was very good and he managed to make some very street wise tackles against him.

I don't buy into the whole foul chat for the goal, watching that full speed there was no way you could say with any confidence it was a clear foul. The guy Ikpezu was perfectly entitled to go for the ball and it's just really unfortunate what happened to big Carson. Fingers crossed it's just some bruising and he quickly recovers.

In terms of positives I thought we battled pretty well for the majority of the game and even thought some of our passing was a wee bit better than previous games this season. We seemed to string a few passes around first rather than just lumping it straight from the back like we had been doing earlier in the season. Rose and Campbell were good in the middle of the park and I thought Bigi was decent for the most part. Again, apart from the lapse for the goal I thought our back three looked good. I also thought the sub goalie done pretty well when he came on so that was another postive.

On the negatives, I'm really concerned about Chrissy Cadden's form. I feel like a broken record here but I can't remember when he had a couple of really good games. He was rotten on Saturday and he needs taken out of the team for a few weeks. Saturday seemed to be the perfect opportunity for this given his knock from during the week and Frear's impact in the Rangers match. My worry for Cadden is he seems to be going backwards and not progressing. This is probably a really basic view of things but to me the last few months Cadden essentially does a bit of running, can't beat a man and then either loses the ball or wins a foul.  I was firmly in the RWB isn't his position camp but at some point you need to look at the player and what he is actually doing on the park. Cadden needs to get back to doing what he is good at, to me that's using his pace to get in good positions to get balls into the box.

Ultimately our downfall on Saturday was a stupid mistake and a lack of quality in the final third. If we play like that against the bottom 6 teams and add a little bit of spark in the final third we will be fine. Special shout out to Bobby Madden who failed to deal with Hearts horrible tactics of constant diving, time wasting and moaning. Not sure there has ever been a worse guy on a football pitch than Steven Naismith?

2 hours ago, livivoice said:

Came away from FP on Saturday feeling that no player could be faulted for effort. That said it was clear that we offered little up front in the way of ingenuity or guile.

Was it just me therefore who felt that a player like Ciftci might have given Hearts a more difficult challenge what with his deft touches and imagination. Thats not to forget of course  how he could frustrate us. 

With no criticism of the club as I feel we didn't have the money to seal a deal with Ciftci , it was and is a pity I feel that we couldn't hold on to him. 

Gareth Bale could have made a diffrence as well , if we had the money to sign him. Ciftci had nearly half a season to impress he didnt. As with all his previous clubs since United once he signed full contract he couldnt be arsed. Lack of commitment, well shot of him. Next please.

There was certainly a lack of creativity from both sides on Saturday. Bigi wasn't at his best, and right now, we don't have anyone that can step up into that role when he's off the boil. I thought Johnson was off the pace too - although his game depends on chances being created.

We didn't stretch them enough at the back and had nobody capable of that killer pass to open them up.  

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

There was certainly a lack of creativity from both sides on Saturday. Bigi wasn't at his best, and right now, we don't have anyone that can step up into that role when he's off the boil. I thought Johnson was off the pace too - although his game depends on chances being created.

We didn't stretch them enough at the back and had nobody capable of that killer pass to open them up.  

A fair summing up.  I was expecting bit more from Bigi but it just didn't happen.  I thought we did have some alternatives in Gorrin and Turnbull but they weren't used.  Thats not to say of course that they would have been any more successful.

As much as I am an advocate for our players being capped, but with our depth of squad we cannot rotate our squad to suit, but I felt all our players on international duties really tired in the second half, I know that Hearts had also players on international duty as well, but our youngsters ( not sure about Bigi but his travelling alone must have affected his performance) were really struggling especially going a goal down and goalkeeper down on Saturday.

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

A fair summing up.  I was expecting bit more from Bigi but it just didn't happen.  I thought we did have some alternatives in Gorrin and Turnbull but they weren't used.  Thats not to say of course that they would have been any more successful.

The introduction of Elliott Fear and his heartless display sapped the last bit of energy from the midfield on Saturday. Feel our game management may have improved utilising either of the other two mentioned.

Good to see Robbo making friends and influencing people in the Main Stand again on Saturday.   Memories of some of McGhee's outbursts in the dug out.  Didn't hear what prompted it though - anyone know?
Some numpty with a dodgy haircut and straggly ginger beard a few rows from the front had spent most of the 2nd half bellowing sh### towards the dug out. Female steward got involved after Robbo's retort, all got calmed down. Don't blame Robbo, guy was a loud incessant clown.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, rinkydink said:

Good to see Robbo making friends and influencing people in the Main Stand again on Saturday.   Memories of some of McGhee's outbursts in the dug out.  Didn't hear what prompted it though - anyone know?

Aye same arsehole that always knows better in front of us wi a big mouth and no idea. 

11 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Some numpty with a dodgy haircut and straggly ginger beard a few rows from the front had spent most of the 2nd half bellowing sh### towards the dug out. Female steward got involved after Robbo's retort, all got calmed down. Don't blame Robbo, guy was a loud incessant clown.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Ah, that guy.  Figures.

On the goal, there is no doubt that McHugh's pass was a very poor one and has pretty much cost us the game. It's a shame because otherwise he was immense, but split second errors can lose games. TV evidence shows that Carson got the ball first though and was then caught by Ikpeazu, so technically the goal shouldn't have stood. It's even more galling when the replays show Ikpeazu has led with the studs, and given we've seen players sent off for less he was very fortunate that it was almost impossible to spot at full pace.

Hearts then proceeded to employ every dirty, underhand trick in the book to run the clock down for the last hour. Dunne must have feigned injury at least 4 times, to then get straight back up and sprint back into position. Souttar's simulation at the end was ridiculous, and the linesman couldn't flag quickly enough despite having a clear view of a player go down when his opponent was at least 6 feet away. Naismith kicking through Aldred's ankle and then accusing Aldred of cheating was peak Naismith as well.

The seats and the f****n blood chants on the way out just confirmed that the club and fans have now gone full Rangers. Hopefully someone puts them back in their place soon.

• Like 1

Watching the highlights, I'd say it's pretty clear that it isn't a good tackle from Uche.  Studs up, late and reckless.  In saying that, the pass from Aldred isn't a great one and McHugh's is even worse.  I'm disappointed to have lost that game as Hearts were pretty poor throughout.

A difficult run of games coming up for a number of reason, but nothing to fear against the sides we are playing in them.  Main needs a goal badly and we need to give Turnbull and Gorrin some game time in that midfield.  Cadden looks well on the road to burnout and could be doing with a rest from the starting XI with an emphasis on being  an impact sub if we need him.