2018'19 Game 6: Aberdeen (A) Saturday 22nd September 2018

Yabba's Turd

For me this is the start of a run of games which will certainly tell us how good we really are Dons ( away ) Hearts (LC away) Killie ( away ) Livi ( home ) St Johnston (home ) . If we don't get at least 7 points from the league games then I think we are in trouble but we could get a shot in the arm by winning on Saturday  we need to start scoring something we haven't looked like doing 

It's obviously going to be a really difficult fixture but I'm not as apprehensive as I usually am going into Aberdeen away. They haven't really hit the ground running so far this season and I've been encouraged by some of our play in the last couple of fixtures.  Up front they seem to lack goals at the moment, I'm confident our backline will be able to deal with May/Cosgrove. A point would be a great result but our record up there recently would suggest a win isn't totally out of the question. Clearly we need to show more of a creative spark than we did on Saturday but I think we have looked more assured for the most part in our last few games.

Team wise I woudn't change a great deal but I think it's time for Cadden to sit out for a week.

It's funny I've been pretty critical of Cadden for the last 6 months or so but I seen on the Youtube feature it mentioned that it was his 22nd birthday.  This makes me feel I've been pretty harsh on the guy. Cadden has basically been a main stay in the team for the past couple of seasons since breaking through. I'm all for breaking young Scottish guys through to the first team but realising he is only 22 has made me think we are maybe putting a bit too much pressure on him. I  think guys at that age should be taken out the team from time to time particularly when they have had an exteneded season with the international team to Peru and Mexico. Frear for all his detractors has looked a bit better from what I've seen of him this season. Against Rangers for example he done very well when he came on. Give Frear the LWB role and revert Tait back to the right for this one.

Gillespie

Aldred McHugh Hartley

Tait Campbell Rose Bigi Frear

Johnson Main

I'd be tempted to revert to a McGhee style squinty 442 for this game.

Gillespie 

Tait Aldred Hartley Taylor-Sinclair 

Bigirimana McHugh Campbell          Frear

Johnson Sammon 

Cadden needs a rest but Frear isn't a wing back so playing him there doesn't do him or the team any favours. If playing three at the back then Taylor-Sinclair or Livingston should play left wing back. 

Just feel that Frear started the season well and creates chances more than anyone else in our team so would like him in the team but not at wing back... 

• Like 1

For me Aberdeen don't have a lot of cutting edge, a bit like us in that regard.

As long as we don't make any major errors like last weekend I think we can get something out of the game, after all Aberdeen have only score more than once in a match one time in eight this season. 

Result will likely be a 1-0, 1-1, 0-0 if form is anything to go by but as they say football's a funny old game.....

A couple of folk over on P&B saying Carson (unsurprisingly), Main and Rose are out for this game? 

Based on the games v Dundee and Hearts I’d say Cadden needs benched also. 

Aberdeen away is traditionally a very tough fixture, save for a huge glorious unbeaten run under McCall, and whilst Aberdeen appear to not be firing on all cylinders yet, a point here would be most welcome.

As a poster above said, the next few games v Aberdeen, Killie, Livingston and St Johnstone will be a good indication of how this season is going to I think.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Is this game on Motherwell TV tomorrow and does it ask for an address etc when I register?

Yes to both.

Although I know a couple of UK based people using VPNs that watch it, so I'm guessing they aren't too strict about the details.

Maybe one of those guys can let us know if they had to do anything special other than VPN.

A testing week in prospect where we may well see the benefits of the 12-18 transfer strategy, particularly when we have concerns over Carson, Rose and Main.

From a tactical perspective, I’d like to see us return to a back 4 with Tait and Cadden on the same side of the park. The pair of them are being wasted at present. The downside to a back 4 is that we appear to have entered yet another season without a fit and competent left back. 

Upfront, I’d throw Sammon in given how poor the other 3 strikers were against Hearts. 

Bit of pressure on Aberdeen so hopefully we can test their nerve. Having said that, I’d be quite content with a draw ahead of the trip to Tynecastle.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16895913.injury-blow-for-motherwell-as-craig-tanner-goes-under-the-knife-again/

Tanner goes under the knife again

Craig Tanner is likely to be out until the new year.

Craig Tanner is likely to be out until the new year.

0 comments

Win with free delivery.

Pay for what you love. Not delivery.

Find out more
Sponsored by eBay
ADVERTISEMENTinfo-ayl.pngpixel?event_kind=INSERTION&attempt=b5f5c106b4e2555936ff78ba531ae7cb&campaign=e16140eb7ad2702885d59be9b92391a1pixel?event_kind=IMPRESSION&attempt=b5f5c106b4e2555936ff78ba531ae7cb&campaign=e16140eb7ad2702885d59be9b92391a1pixel?event_kind=NI_VISIBLE_INSERTION&attempt=b5f5c106b4e2555936ff78ba531ae7cb&campaign=e16140eb7ad2702885d59be9b92391a1pixel?event_kind=NI_VISIBLE_IMPRESSION&attempt=b5f5c106b4e2555936ff78ba531ae7cb&campaign=e16140eb7ad2702885d59be9b92391a1

MOTHERWELL have been dealt an injury blow as manager Stephen Robinson revealed that Craig Tanner has undergone further surgery on his knee injury, meaning the attacker may not be back in action until the new year.

Tanner has been sidelined since dislocating his kneecap in training back in March and was initially expected to be out for around six months.

But his recovery has not gone as well as had been hoped and he was forced to go back under the knife yesterday, leaving him unlikely to return to the Fir Park first-team picture for quite some time yet.

“Craig’s having another operation,” Robinson said. “He’s just not progressed as much as we’d want so going to do some surgery on him. He’s somebody we miss in terms of that creativity.

“We’d hoped maybe to have him back before Christmas. He’s still not had the results from the surgery, we’ll pop up to see him later.

“We’re just waiting to hear the outcome once they’ve gone inside the knee because it hasn’t quite progressed as we’d want it.

“It’s tough for him. He’s a great boy. Him and Charles Dunne have tried to keep each other motivated. I had them scouting for me on Saturday just to try and keep them involved and motivated

“It’s horrible but we’ve got a good staff here. They spend hours with these boys and mentally it is tough for them when they’re injured.”

0:001:28

There was a mixture of good and bad news on the short-term injury front for Robinson ahead of today’s trip to Aberdeen, with goalkeeper Trevor Carson being given every chance to make the starting line-up after news on the ankle injury sustained against Hearts last week was better than had been expected.

Striker Curtis Main will however sit out the trip to Pittodrie with a minor injury, although he may have missed the game in any case as his wife went into labour yesterday.

“Trevor will hopefully try and train [on Friday],” said Robinson. “He got the all clear injury wise in terms of any serious damage, but he’ll be a late decision for us.

“It’s a relief because superficially it didn’t look great. We were hopeful because he was able to put weight on it straight away that it wasn’t broken.

“As I said at the time we were hoping it was just superficial and it proved to be.”

Robinson concedes that he is still trying to find the right blend in attack, with Main, Danny Johnson, Ryan Bowman and Conor Sammon vying for a place in attack, but he is please with his options even with Main being unable to play at Aberdeen.

“I think we’re on the right track,” he said. “We’re solid, we’re organised, and we just missed a little bit of invention inside that final third and that’s up for me to try and find that and keep working on it.

“People are saying to me maybe Main and Sammon didn’t work together. They played two games so I’m not sure how that judgement was made that early.

“But the fact Curtis isn’t available, and we’ve got Sammon coming back available again, Bowman coming back to fitness, you’ve got to remember he was out for four or five weeks and Danny as well.

“I thought we had it right with Main and Danny for a few games and we’ve got a lot of fire power to come off the bench.

“Danny’s just come up it’s his first season. There’s lots of aspects of his game that can improve but he’s got potential to go on and do very well for the club.

“I’m glad we strengthened. In situations like this with Curtis out it does give us a stronger option.”

22 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

Think we can write Tanner off this season. Damn shame he's a class act. As for the game drop Cadden bring in ATS and go 4-4-2.  I'd drop Rose as well but I'd drop him every week.

I’d by amazed if Cadden or Rose was dropped, other than Carson and Main who will be replaced by Sammon ( I would prefer Bowman) unchanged for me.

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm guessing the point is to try and win today's game first.

(Plus Sammon probably is slightly more of a goal threat than Bowman).

I'm just glad he dropped Main, as he has been struggling recently. 

Main hasn’t been dropped. Injured and birth of a child. Cadden however has been. 

Sammon more of a goal threat than Bowman. Personally don’t agree with that. 

Donnelly into midfield? Makes the resigning of Grimmy and the signing of Gorrin even more of a pointless exercise imo. Waste of at least one wage when McHugh/Campbell/Rose/Maguire can also play there. 

Sums up our style of football that we have more defensive midfielders at the club than any other position I guess.