2018'19 Game 6: Aberdeen (A) Saturday 22nd September 2018

Yabba's Turd

Tactically and player wise, a lot needs to be questioned from yesterday. 

I didn't understand bringing in Donnelly in terms of the shape and also ability. In my opinion, he looks completely of out of his depth and unable to come to speed or compete as required. McHugh seemed to be playing as a defensive midfielder at times, which created a bottle neck as Bigirimana wasn't pushed far enough forward to create either which meant we stifled ourselves in the middle of the park.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Frear whatsoever (I have never really got the hype or actually seen him take on and beat a man) and Tait was well off the pace yesterday, without Cadden bursting forward (despite his relatively poor form of late) it meant we had no one to go beyond the Aberdeen line which Robinson should have seen coming. 

Coupled with the fact that Sammon has the be the worst striker in a Motherwell jersey since Paul Keegan, for me, all questions need to be pointed at Robinson. 

As we've gone back and forth on these pages, recruitment has been highly questionable. 

We look powderpuff middle to front. 

Strong in the cups or not (This week will tell us), our league form is dire. We seem quite incapable of stringing a few wins together. There hasn't been much in the Hearts or Aberdeen games, but loosing becomes a habit, just as much as winning does. 

Getting fed up wae the Blarney Stone kisser after we get beat with his assessments of the games,bottom line is his signings tactics and line ups are shite .Everybody keeps going on about last seasons cup runs well we have nothing to show for that as the manager has squandered the money on signing donkeys . Yesterday was terrible to watch couldn't score in a brothel and if Robinson wants to survive he'll have to give up this 3-5-2 nonsense and get back to 4-4-2 that way he play players in their right positions 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Yodo said:

4-4-2 that way he play players in their right positions 

...I do tend to agree on this though. Our rigid 3-5-2 direct tactic is no longer a surprise to anyone. We also can't outmuscle everyone like we did fairly well last season as the like of Hearts, Livi and Aberdeen to an extent have all beefed up a bit in size/strength and everyone is wise to our play. So, 4-4-2 or a variant thereof seems like decent option for me. Tait bring the best out of Cadden when together on the right and Frear, for all his criticism, is best as an out and out left midfielder (not a wing back, not sitting behind strikers etc.). I'd be tempted to give this a try...with left back being the only problem position that I'm not really comfortable with.

Carson

Tait Hartley Aldred ATS

Cadden Campbell Bigi Frear

Johnson Bowman

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Getting fed up wae the Blarney Stone kisser after we get beat with his assessments of the games,bottom line is his signings tactics and line ups are shite .Everybody keeps going on about last seasons cup runs well we have nothing to show for that as the manager has squandered the money on signing donkeys . Yesterday was terrible to watch couldn't score in a brothel and if Robinson wants to survive he'll have to give up this 3-5-2 nonsense and get back to 4-4-2 that way he play players in their right positions 

How much of the cup and transfer money was he given ? 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thats pretty much it for me.  Our first 11 is weaker than last season (no Kipre or Moult) and we have suffered bad injuries.  Strength in depth is better though. Yes, our team is set up defensively and to get results with that you need a couple of players in midfield with pace and a good striker.  It might mean, for a club like ours, that we need to splash out a bit more than normal to land one.  Our strikers do get a hard time.  We need to wait until the first round of fixtures are complete before we take stock but I don't completely buy the "lack of budget" argument.  Sides like Livingson, Accies and St Johnstone are doing better on similar budgets to ours. 

Going back to yesterday's game I see that Hartley has taken some stick for losing his man but for me, the defensive midfield is even more culpable.  We were stting too deep and the Aberdeen player who makes the pass is not put under any pressure by midfielders who stand off, Bigi being but one (not singling out Bigi BTW but he's no defender).   Thats the kind of goal we were losing for years  before Robbo arrived.  Did the players learn nothing from last weekend where Hearts players wouldn't allow us near their box and swarmed like flies around any of our players who had the ball. 

The fixtures haven't been kind to us so far but the next few games are going to be crucial. 

Sides like livi, St j and Accies didn't make it to 2 Cup finals last year... Pretty sure we will finish above Accies and Livi... Touch and go with St J

12 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Sides like livi, St j and Accies didn't make it to 2 Cup finals last year... Pretty sure we will finish above Accies and Livi... Touch and go with St J

Why are we all caught up in last season that's gone our name isn't on any trophy and at the moment Livi and Accies above us but if you can guarantee we will finish above both of these teams then I'll take my finger of the panic button and start to enjoy the rest of the season  as I said previously if we don't collect 7 out 12 points now down to 7 out of 9 then Robinson should be sacked 

• Like 2

Panic setting in from the usual suspects again. We’ve had a very tough run of fixtures to start the season, if we keep losing to those teams we should be getting something from as we move forward then it’s time to worry and the club will no doubt look at a change f manager. I suspect that won’t happen and we will again finish up in a pretty comfortable position.

Be interesting what happens if as I fear we'll get gubbed in our next 3 games Hearts and Killie  away and Livinston at home. I've been saying for ages the 3-5-2 formation is for teams like Man City and Chelsea. To play without a left back is criminal. The signings of Donnelly, Rose and Sammon is also criminal. We're dreadfull to watch. I like Robinson but maybe should stick to being a coach. We need a manager who's going to get the best out of players like Frear and Cadden who've went stale. Things simply can't stay the same. We've been shit for months now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Be interesting what happens if as I fear we'll get gubbed in our next 3 games Hearts and Killie  away and Livinston at home. I've been saying for ages the 3-5-2 formation is for teams like Man City and Chelsea. To play without a left back is criminal. The signings of Donnelly, Rose and Sammon is also criminal. We're dreadfull to watch. I like Robinson but maybe should stick to being a coach. We need a manager who's going to get the best out of players like Frear and Cadden who've went stale. Things simply can't stay the same. We've been shit for months now.

Step away from the keyboard. For starters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Yodo said:

Why are we all caught up in last season that's gone our name isn't on any trophy and at the moment Livi and Accies above us but if you can guarantee we will finish above both of these teams then I'll take my finger of the panic button and start to enjoy the rest of the season  as I said previously if we don't collect 7 out 12 points now down to 7 out of 9 then Robinson should be sacked 

So if we win 2 out the next 3 he's out the door then....

I'd hope to pick up points against the next 3 too but by no means easy fixtures. 

Admittedly I wasn't at Aberdeen on Saturday but I don't think we should be pushing the panic button yet. It sounds like it was a similar story to the Hearts game in which we narrowly lost out. We have had a very tough start to the season in terms of fixtures with the exception of Accies. We really need to judge the team on how we do against the Kilmarnock's and Livingston's rather than the top 4.

There is some valid longstanding points here regarding league form and I think these are more than fair but we need to give it some more time to really get a clear picture of where we stand this season.

The biggest concern for me is up front. I mentioned in August that if Johnson isn't prolific we are going to struggle and at the moment it's not looking great. Main, Bowman and Sammon aren't goalscorers. My biggest critic of Robinson just now would be that at the end of the transfer window he somehow thought we had enough in attack.

We look devoid of any guile or flair and I think it was quite clear to see that was the case at the end of August. I hate to harp back to it and single someone out but to me the Sammon signing was a big mistake. Instead of getting someone in the Nadir Ciftci mould we went in the total wrong direction.

The narrative about improving squad players also should be questioned. I'm not convinced Donnelly, ATS and co are any better than what we had on the bench last year. I would much rather we spent the wages from 2 bench player on one higher quality first team player and allow the younger boys to fill in the slots on the bench.

Wasn't at game but was Frear right wing-back??   Why can't Robbo just play guys in their natural position?    Get Dicky Tait back at right-back / RWB.    Give ATS a change at LWB and have a midfield centre 3 of Big, Campbell and Cadds.   At least Sammon can't play on Wed night but mind you Bowman and Main not exactly been on form either.   Curtis couldn't believe he was 100-1 to be SPFL top scorer,   Well 2 goals in 19 games would maybe explain it.    Hopefully that means he scores a hat-trick on wed night!!   COYW

51 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

The narrative about improving squad players also should be questioned. I'm not convinced Donnelly, ATS and co are any better than what we had on

If the media were at all interested in our club he would be getting crucified for this. If Gerrard, Rodgers or McInnes did something as daft you would never hear the end of it.

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, GazzyB said:

Can we address the fact that Cadden is a donkey?

Yes, he completely has been for months.

I can't mind the last time he got a cross into the box.

I think he's best in RM with Tait behind him. doubt we will see much of that though.

48 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We had back ups last season. If Robinson chooses to play injured players that's up to him.

So when I was at the Accies game last December, and McHugh, Dunne, Cadden, Frear and Moult were all out injured,  and Campbell had to go off injured in the first half,  where were all those good backups he could have chosen to play? 

We're stuck having to play cadden at right wing back and tait out of position because the left back/wing back position wasn't addressed over the summer,taylor-sinclair seems to fit the bill like guys like hendrie,here to sit on the bench and not here to improve us whatsoever.

21 minutes ago, weeyin said:

So when I was at the Accies game last December, and McHugh, Dunne, Cadden, Frear and Moult were all out injured,  and Campbell had to go off injured in the first half,  where were all those good backups he could have chosen to play?  

The team that day was Carson, Tait, Hammell, Kipre, Hartley, Bigi, Rose, Campbell, Tanner, Bowman, Newell. The subs who came on were Grimshaw, Fisher and Maclean.

8 out of 14 have started a game this season. Bowman will probably start on Wednesday. Tanner would no doubt have started.

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

The team that day was Carson, Tait, Hammell, Kipre, Hartley, Bigi, Rose, Campbell, Tanner, Bowman, Newell. The subs who came on were Grimshaw, Fisher and Maclean.

8 out of 14 have started a game this season. Bowman will probably start on Wednesday. Tanner would no doubt have started.

And Carson and Hartley were carrying injuries - so shouldn't have started by your logic; it was Robinson's choice to play injured players.

And the rest were useless as backups - but not as useless as the guys that came on as subs.