2018'19 Game 7: Kilmarnock (A) Saturday 29th September 2018

Yabba's Turd

4 hours ago, Shaka said:

The first part is more our default moan when playing on these pitches, not my actual opinion. Tho Killie are a FAR superior team to Livingston!

Far superior, except for their current points total and league position.

Not that I'm saying we'll win - it will be the usual dire game that happens on Killie plastic. Players needing an extra touch to bring waist high bounces under control and, if the pitch isn't watered, balls getting held up on the "turf".

Pure entertainment.

Killie are a top 6 team. We're about as close to the top 6 as we are to the surface of Pluto. We'll play 3 at the back again Tait left side. We'll  get pumped again and Robinson will be explaining how we compete with such a good team. And how we're not far away. Blah blah.

• Thanks 1

The real pressure on Robinson starts tomorrow because another defeat will probably see the support base in general start to question him. We all know it’s another really difficult game and they come off the back of a home win against Celtic.  Kilmarnock are favourites and I would take a point in a heartbeat but fear we will come away with nothing making the Livi game up next huge for him. I want him to stay and think if he’s given a while longer he will turn it around, I am however aware i’m going to be in the minority pretty quickly if results don’t improve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Far superior, except for their current points total and league position.

Not that I'm saying we'll win - it will be the usual dire game that happens on Killie plastic. Players needing an extra touch to bring waist high bounces under control and, if the pitch isn't watered, balls getting held up on the "turf".

Pure entertainment.

To be fair, there have been some excellent televised games at Rugby Park since the arrival of Steve Clarke. The visits of Hibs, Rangers and Celtic spring to mind. 

5 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

To be fair, there have been some excellent televised games at Rugby Park since the arrival of Steve Clarke. The visits of Hibs, Rangers and Celtic spring to mind. 

I saw the most recent Celtic game. A great result for Killie but not high on the entertainment scale. 

1 hour ago, GrahamH said:

Not sure about Motherwell TV but it’s on BBC Alba around 6.00pm for anybody who wants to avoid the score and watch it “live”.

Might make for a fine pre-town drinking game.

Every time a defender launches the ball to Bowman's head, take a drink.

Kilmarnock have scored twice in 4 out of 6 league matches and kept clean sheets in 3.

We've failed to score in 4 out of 6 and kept no clean sheets.

Looks like a 2-0 win to Kilmarnock then.

Going but not expecting anything out of this match.  As most have said you'd take a point right now.

For me the really big match is going to be in two weeks when we play Livingston.

A lot of people will probably expect us to beat them and it's guaranteed 3 points.  It's not.  We are going to have to play well to get anything out of that game too because Livingston are a decent team.  They have strengthened their team since we narrowly beat them in a pretty even match in the League Cup, have a new and better manager, and have some momentum going in the league. 

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I hope we're treating this match as a big one too rather than waiting for Livi.

Absolutely Weeyin.  Yes, it'll be hard but we must go out fired up for a win.  A change in attitude, personnel and perhaps formation will be required.  I think now our 3-5-2 formation is a busted flush and we need to go 4-4-2.  However formations alone don't win games.  The midfield needs to work far harder when we're not in possession but not run about like headless chickens.  They need to be more organised.  Ideally I'd like to see them set up camp 40 yards from our goal and prevent Killie from seeing the whites of our defence's eyes.  Carson should be protected at all costs.  Unnecessary corners and easy crosses cut out.  Close down Killie's midfield and smother them the way Hearts did to us.  The defence would certainly benefit from more protection.  I'd be happy to play the long ball to our strikers as long as its the right type of long ball ie for them to run onto.  

Do I think we'll play that sort of game?  No. 

The bottom line is though we need to treat this as a winnable game. 

Key change for me, if we're playing 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or whatever the fuck it is, would be to put ATS in on the left to start.  Can he really be worse at defending than Frear ?? And allow Tait into his natural position and Cadden to face forwards. For a team that has a history of having some of the top left backs in the league (Wark, Boyd, McKinnon, McMillan etc) we've been without one for a hell of a long time.