2018'19 Game 7: Kilmarnock (A) Saturday 29th September 2018

Yabba's Turd

8 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I guess I'm saying a lot of Motherwell supporters chose not to support us today - only 500 out of our regular 4,000, never mind the 12,000 that turned out for the final.

If you are fed up with us being beaten or turning in very poor performances, then I think that's a legitimate reason for staying away and the rest of us shouldn't get too judgemental about it.

Me, I go to almost every match but we've been too bad, too long to really criticise people for not wanting to drop £30 - £40 quid going to a game. 

To be fair we had 1200 + at Tynecastle midweek. I guess if you were to cherrypick one away game then no surprise it was midweek for a quarter final.  I definitely would not criticise fans for being selective when it comes to away games. The price of a ticket + travel money + food / drink adds up to a reasonable sum. 

We actually have quite a big squad this year. I suspect we had hoped that Carson and Bigi would be off the books and have now effectively got 2 first team keepers. Carson forms has dipped this season also. To be fair he was fantastic last season and that still did not earn him a deserved move. 

Players arguing with each other is not a positive sign, but can be understood if you are a player busting a gut and someone else gives the ball away needlessly or does not bother to defend / track runners etc. 

The sooner Hartley, Rose and Dunne are back the better. 

Maybe clear the air talks are required to help kick start our season. All the players have talked in the last what a great tight knit dressing room we have but something appears not to be right at the moment. 

19 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Players arguing with each other is not a positive sign, but can be understood if you are a player busting a gut and someone else gives the ball away needlessly or does not bother to defend / track runners etc.

This has been going on for some time Iain.  In the recent home defeat to Hearts, Carson openly berated Bigi for not defending and Hartley and Robinson had a few words to say to each other.  A feature of our play this season is that the midfield has left the central defence and Carson very exposed at times.  At Livingston it was clear that Bigi is no defender; his attacking play masked defensive frailties but of late he's not been contributing creatively either.  

On another forum someone commented that Robbo's comments after the game were uncharacteristically downbeat and on here someone commented that the players weren't playing for Robbo.   Taking these observations together from different sources do suggest that something isn't right off the field.  Thats normally a bad sign for a manager.  

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

One of the better traits of Robinson's reign has been an ability to cope with adversity during games and turn it around.

I'd agree with that. There was many a game last season where the first 45 was poor, but Robinson made effective half time changes. Didn't always win the games, but the performance levels would be night and day and we would rarely see a poor 90. That trait has definitely gone.

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

This has been going on for some time Iain.  In the recent home defeat to Hearts, Carson openly berated Bigi for not defending and Hartley and Robinson had a few words to say to each other.  A feature of our play this season is that the midfield has left the central defence and Carson very exposed at times.  At Livingston it was clear that Bigi is no defender; his attacking play masked defensive frailties but of late he's not been contributing creatively either.  

On another forum someone commented that Robbo's comments after the game were uncharacteristically downbeat and on here someone commented that the players weren't playing for Robbo.   Taking these observations together from different sources do suggest that something isn't right off the field.  Thats normally a bad sign for a manager.  

Absolutely - I thought multiple players reaction to Bigi on Wednesday (Carson, McHugh, Bowman, Cadden if I remember correctly); while understandable, was awful and wouldn't have happened last season. In Carsons defence, he did then put an arm round him. Despite that, he went for Bigi again today after their second. 

Your point about him not contributing offensively is spot-on, however I'm not sure why he was on the pitch today when the midfield was entirely bypassed for 90 minutes. He's not being played to his strengths. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I guess I'm saying a lot of Motherwell supporters chose not to support us today - only 500 out of our regular 4,000, never mind the 12,000 that turned out for the final.

If you are fed up with us being beaten or turning in very poor performances, then I think that's a legitimate reason for staying away and the rest of us shouldn't get too judgemental about it.

Me, I go to almost every match but we've been too bad, too long to really criticise people for not wanting to drop £30 - £40 quid going to a game. 

I like many others have spent over £150 to watch our last 3 dire dreadful games ... I wouldnt criticise anyone who cant afford or refuses to pay that kinda money to watch the utter dross we are served up.

Defensively, could it be that moving McHugh back into the central three has cost us our most effective defensive midfielder? I realise that he was not everyone's cup of tea in midfield, but he was able to break up a fair amount of opposition play and screen the defence from there. He doesn't offer much creatively, but sadly, he is not alone in being open to that particular criticism.

On 9/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, Welldaft Mk1 said:

As for Bigi. A decent player yes - but when u need a player to get stuck in he just does not have it. He is a luxury we cannot afford imho.

I am not really sure about this.

The midfield at the beginning of the season without him in there was fucking awful.

Richard Tait showing the winger inside for the first goal was absolutely fucking criminal.

23 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Three awful goals to concede. The pace and effort to get back goalside from Tait, Bigi, Grimshaw and ATS is cringeworthy.

Three big games coming up.

Now the first of the three big games is now got tougher with Livi being on a high after yesterday's result, I just cannot seeing us getting a win, a few weeks ago, yes but now I think we will struggle against them especially with our defence.

The second half display on Saturday suggests to me SR has now lost the dressing room, I am hoping that we are proven wrong and he gets a positive result....but I doubt it!

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I am not really sure about this.

The midfield at the beginning of the season without him in there was fucking awful.

I'm with Welldaft Mk1 on this. 

I was keen to see Bigi being given his chance and against lesser opposition he played well offensively and brought some creativity to the team, which we'd been sadly lacking. However even in those games he was weak defensively.  That was especially apparent at Livingston in the Betfred Cup.   He wasn't working hard enough off the ball and wasn't closing players down.  Against better teams like Aberdeen and Hearts he created very little and was again defensively poor.  If we play him, then we have to pick the rest of the midfield to compensate for his weaknesses ie play defensive / hard working midfielders.  In short, I just don't think he's been that good to warrant such an approach.  We have other players with a bit of creativity like Turnbull and Gorrin who are now due their opportunity to show what they can do.  

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that all our our midfield problems are down to Bigi; far from it.  Our defensive midfield has been very poor this season and thats been the main reason for us shipping goals.  Bigi apart there's been a lack of creativity, pace, hard work, positional awareness and dare I say it, physicality in the engine room.  We have shed load of midfielders but very few have been performing and put bluntly many may just be mediocre.   Lads like Cadden and Campbell badly need a few weeks off and if I were Robbo I'd ask for them to be withdrawn from their respective Scotland squad. 

5 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

...with Livi being on a high after yesterday's result, I just cannot seeing us getting a win, a few weeks ago, yes but now I think we will struggle against them especially with our defence.

Agreed, I reckon Livi will tear our defence a new one. 

4 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Livi are this season what we were last season......don't think they'll be as successful as we were and i don't see them winning on Saturday.

I hope your right, however, the form of both sides would suggest different. Currently our defence is like a wet paper bag.

11 minutes ago, postiejim said:

Bit of talk about people not going tae games ,Ive got a season ticket and haven't been tae a home game this season. I have a notion tae go on Saturday tae see how we do against high flying new boys Livi . I genuinely think  it could be a good game. 

Because not going to games this early in the season is really going to help things.

Taking the emotion out of it, for now. There's a lot wrong with both tactics and individual performance.

Tactics: Without going over old ground we are so one dimensional and other teams know both our Plan A and Plan B. Our 'physicality' of last season is now matched by most teams.

Players: Players are making individual errors, which we are getting punished for, and in general our midfield is not giving our, admittedly unsettled and poor, defence the cover needed. We don't appear to have the quality in creative players or up front to make or put away the crucial chances we tended to put away with Moult in the team.

Solution: Hard one. I'd start with a change of formation to 4 at the back. We've lost  a lot of goals with our wing backs pushing forward and we don't have the pace for a back 3. Midfield we are weak so I'm not sure where to start to be honest but I'd be playing a simple 4 with players in the their correct positions. Up top its 2 of Main, Bowman and Johnson. We have a big lack of options on the left. Maybe...

Carson

Tait Hartley Aldred ATS

Cadden Campbell McHugh Frear

Bowman Main

The manager is starting to have a shoogly peg for me, and I'm a fan...crucial game against Livi.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, superward said:

Solution: Hard one. I'd start with a change of formation to 4 at the back. We've lost  a lot of goals with our wing backs pushing forward and we don't have the pace for a back 3. Midfield we are weak so I'm not sure where to start to be honest but I'd be playing a simple 4 with players in the their correct positions. Up top its 2 of Main, Bowman and Johnson. 

Change of formation is a must … … we must start by not giving the opposition freebies 

To that end a back 4 is a must

I would then play defensive midfielder in front of them and then a midfield 4 with 1 up front

We really have to get back to a solid base to build from 

• Like 1