2018'19 Game 8: Livingston (H) Saturday 6th October 2018

Andy_P

Decent point however my overwhelming feeling leaving today (and most of the season) was that we are a team utterly devoid of an identity. I simply don't know what kind of football we are trying to play.

We kept punting it to our front two in the first half but it was completely ineffective so we're not a long ball team. We don't pass it so we're not a passing team. We camped on the edge of our own box for most of the second 45 yet we didn't try to counter attack. We don't have pacey wingers who threaten down the wings. We don't do a high press. We don't batter people out the way (anymore) so we're not a batter people out the way team. We don't have energy or look considerably fitter than the other teams. We're not a 'you score 3, we'll score 4' team. We're not a solid defence but win 1-0 team. 

Can anyone explain what our strengths are and what type of team we are trying to be?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, star sail said:

I don't often agree with your point of view Steelboy and from memory have been disagreeing with your views on managers ever since the Jim Gannon days. I tend to want to keep them and you tend to want to sack them. I always find yours opinions interesting however so couple of genuine questions. Do you think this squad of players could be turned into a decent team with the right man in charge and if so who would that man be for you?

Without anyone who can play on the left or a player who can create in the final third the best we can hope for is winning the relegation battle. If a manger with a different ethos comes in and signs a left back, a creative attacker and brings on the youth we can do better.

The idea that you can't say a manager has run his course without simulating an entire recruitment process is the default fallback position of the happy clapper. You don't need to worry about anything, no matter who we appoint you'll think they are a great manager and give them wee pet name.

Sacking Robinson and avoiding relegation is probably going to cost us a lot of money. I'd give Lasley a shot if he is willing to work to a specific plan: small squad with quality over quantity, positive football and youth development. Managers last 3 years if you are lucky now, letting them dictate everything at the club is a recipe for disaster and long term chaos.

5 minutes ago, CoF said:

Decent point however my overwhelming feeling leaving today (and most of the season) was that we are a team utterly devoid of an identity. I simply don't know what kind of football we are trying to play.

We kept punting it to our front two in the first half but it was completely ineffective so we're not a long ball team. We don't pass it so we're not a passing team. We camped on the edge of our own box for most of the second 45 yet we didn't try to counter attack. We don't have pacey wingers who threaten down the wings. We don't do a high press. We don't batter people out the way (anymore) so we're not a batter people out the way team. We don't have energy or look considerably fitter than the other teams. We're not a 'you score 3, we'll score 4' team. We're not a solid defence but win 1-0 team. 

Can anyone explain what our strengths are and what type of team we are trying to be?

Strengths are we are shite and very good at being shite 

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

A remarkable achievement, however, we shouldn’t forget that we were fortunate to stay up on two occasions. If we don’t improve soon that safety bubble will eventually burst. 

No argument there, we have rode our luck.... Look at Dundee Utd, St Mirren etc now who thought they were better than they were 

55 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Didn’t go to killie last week but that performance today was a continuation of the 2nd half at Tynecastle in the cup.

- same 352 that doesn’t work with the players we have.

- hoofball

- no guile or creativity 

- no leaders on the park

- no attacking threat whatsoever 

- glaringly office that we are set up not to concede hence never committing players forward.

- Tait wasted out of position 

- no youth 

- a team that’s actually worse to watch than last years despite all the new signings and an increased wage bill

- players huffing and puffing on the pitch  and starting to argue with each other more and more 

I do believe we have enough with what we’ve got to be safe come April next year but not with Robbo in charge . This is now his Oldham part 2. Time for him to go and someone to take over who can simply man manage and get guys like Tait Campbell Hartley and Cadden playing the way they are capable of playing.

Whoever  has overseen these deals and signings close season along with the increased playing budget also has to have a long hard look at themselves tonight .

We’ve still got time to get out this mess but let’s hope the old pals act doesn’t stand in the  way of what’s best for our club - over to you Mr Burrows et al. 

Hopefully for the good of the club that was Robbos last game today 

Let's give it till next 2or 3games, I don't particularly enjoy the football but last year, it was effective.... If by end of October, we haven't picked up a few more points...... 

I am an unashamed happy clapper, but that today was arguably the worst game of senior foootball I have seen. 1 piece of skill in the whole game.

I have never been in the Robbo out camp, saving us from relegation and giving us some unforgettable memories last season in my view gave him a lot of credit in the bank, however today reset the balance at zero as far as I'm concerned.

We defended reasonably well, but that was it. There was no plan, no shape, and aimless punts up the park to nobody as the forwards were back defending. I get that we needed extra height back at set pieces, but then surely someone pacey could be left up on halfway line, but then you think who?

Individually there are some decent players there, but they looked shorn of confidence, and unsure of where and what they should be doing.

Richard Tait is one of my fave players but constantly playing on the left seems to be wearing him down, Alan Campbell has regressed as has Cadds, forwards feeding off scraps, no pace or forward width, and a lot of narking going on between players, and between the bench and team. Body language looks poor.

I actually think the crowd were reasonably patient today, but if we had gone behind that would not have been the case.

Contradictory statements from Robbo, and actually telling the opposition in the media how we are going to play was bizarre.

I hope this can be turned round, but if I am being honest I don't think it can, and it really pains me to say it.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

There was no plan, no shape, and aimless punts up the park to nobody as the forwards were back defending.

Totally agree with this. I just don't understand what plan the manager thinks we're playing to. He may be happy with the way the team are playing, but as a paying punter I can say that I'm not being entertained by anything that has been on show this season. Last season was poor, but tolerable as there were some highs in there, but not this season. I'd much rather watch us lose while trying to play football than lose in this turgid style that will do nothing for attendances or for the progress of our young players.

I tend to err on the positive side too. One thing is for sure Robbo is not getting sacked anytime soon. Not unless we are starting to get cut adrift. And with Hamilton, St Mirren and Dundee the chances are as shite as we are or have been of late those 3 clubs may save his bacon. 

But one thing we agree on and even I do is that the standard of football we are playing is just awful. We seem to have regressed big time. We were never particularly pretty to watch, but we seemed to have an energy and a cohesive strategy which brought some great results especially in the cup. 

I don’t want like picking on any player in particular but as soon as I saw Donnelly in starting line up......he may well come good and yes he is a regular U21 N Ireland player but so far he has been very very poor and the signs are not promising. 

The players brought in perhaps minus Gillespie and Danny Johnson don’t look to have added anything in the way of depth and strength. And the expected star performers are just not at it. Cambell and Cadden don’t look like the players from last season. Sadly they get no break and must be knackered. 

The defence did quite well today in the face of a constant bombardment of long throws and punts forward. They are due credit for that. For all livi are getting plaudits they were almost as bad as we were. 

McHugh - just wow. I think (Hearts back pass apart) he has been solid in defence. So we put him in midfield and how did that turn out !!! It was almost like he had a bet on his sending off. 

I really don’t know where we go from here. The constant passing and punts up the field to no-one were a particular highlight. 

Thank Christ the break is here. We have St Johnstone up next. Who have always proved easy opponents for us ! 

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

The Blarney Stone Kisser strikes again says we have stopped the Rot and you can feel the nervousness around the ground . No we were rotten and no wonder the fans are nervous we haven't a clue what his tactics were today so cmon Alan Burrows if you are the big fan you say you are get this clown out our club tonight 

Not sure what Burrows being or not being a big fan has to do with anything. He’s got to make an educated business decision and look first and foremost in trying to keep us up every season, he should not be letting emotion get in the way. If he thinks Robinson can do that he will stick with him but he’s going to be more than aware that most management changes end up failures. We’ve had a few in a fairly short  period of time ourselves.

For the majority of the game today most of our team were crossing to the dugout for so called tactic’s, but I think even they were confused, what have they been working on all week if the need constant direction, just get the finger out and play the football the fans deserve 

From the first minute we looked like what we currently are, a team toiling with zero confidence and under orders to do whatever it took to not lose today. That culminated in an absolute shit fest of non football that made my eyes bleed and pray for the final whistle so I could get the fuck out of there. Oh and Livi were fucking honking as well.

But mission accomplished, we didn't lose and manage to get a point that I wasn't expecting today. Can't see the manager going anywhere anytime soon folks and after last season IMO he's due some leeway and further opportunity  to sort it out.

Believe it or not there are worse teams in this league than us at the moment, I know scary thought but thank fuck.

I can’t disagree that our performances may have been somewhat substandard and results likewise.

However, I do remember Robinson stating at the beginning of both this season and last, that the objective he has been given was to avoid relegation and keep the club in the division. (I know we as fans have higher aspirations)

So whilst we sit in 10th position, whether it’s ideal or not, Robinson is achieving the objective that he was set. So at this time whilst we’re above 11th place, you can appreciate why the club would be reluctant to sack him.

13 minutes ago, Wellfan90 said:

I can’t disagree that our performances may have been somewhat substandard and results likewise.

However, I do remember Robinson stating at the beginning of both this season and last, that the objective he has been given was to avoid relegation and keep the club in the division. (I know we as fans have higher aspirations)

So whilst we sit in 10th position, whether it’s ideal or not, Robinson is achieving the objective that he was set. So at this time whilst we’re above 11th place, you can appreciate why the club would be reluctant to sack him. 

I don't really care about what position we finish.

What appalls me is the absolute paucity of football being played.  What is going on now can't fail to backfire.  Today was close to unwatchable.  We'll either get relegated or drive fans away in their droves. 

Another 1 or 2 like that and people just won't come out, especially as we head into the winter months.

And what is the long term plan?  We might be a percentile better than two of St. Mirren, Dundee and Hamilton but what then?  Another season of this?

As it stands we should do the honourable thing and take the F out of MFC. 

11 hours ago, Yodo said:

Worse performance I have seen at Fir Park in many a year ,we had players on the park who had no technical ability what so ever no creativity anywhere on the park .The back 3  looked very very nervous and the boy Donnelly should be nowhere near the first team ,the opening 10 to 15 minutes Livingston looked like they were the home team we gave them far to much respect . Can't believe how many corners we defended and left nobody up the park so when we cleared the ball it came right back at us ,let's cut to the chase the man in the dugout time is up he has taken us to a new low today so time up Robinson pack yer bags and go 

It looks like your personal vendetta against Robinson is beginning to gather momentum. I must admit, I don’t think he’ll see the season out at this rate. However, I’ve asked you this question before, but who would you replace him with?

If indeed we do have players with no technical ability, then those limitations will still be there when there’s a new man in charge. 

2 hours ago, Gadgey said:

It looks like your personal vendetta against Robinson is beginning to gather momentum. I must admit, I don’t think he’ll see the season out at this rate. However, I’ve asked you this question before, but who would you replace him with?

If indeed we do have players with no technical ability, then those limitations will still be there when there’s a new man in charge. 

We find a manager who values technical ability and opts for quality over quantity. 

Obviously a squad rebuild can’t be fully addressed until this summer and his transfer policy is going to hinder the aspirations of his successor. However, Robinson shouldn’t remain in post just because he’s blown a sizeable budget on unworkable dross. Burrows and the board need to take the hit for such blind faith over the summer. 

If we can find a manager that i) understands Tait and Cadden must play on the right together ii) knows a left back and iii) gives youth a chance, we’ll be alright. 

16 minutes ago, CoF said:

Am I right in saying Carson and Robinson were arguing across the pitch at one point? Never a good sign if so. 

They weren't arguing.

We had a free kick and instead of putting it into the box, for some reason Carson decided to hit a nothing ball out wide left that was easily dealt with.

Robinson was letting him know that was not the best idea. 

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I don't really care about what position we finish.

What appalls me is the absolute paucity of football being played.  What is going on now can't fail to backfire.  Today was close to unwatchable.  We'll either get relegated or drive fans away in their droves. 

Another 1 or 2 like that and people just won't come out, especially as we head into the winter months.

And what is the long term plan?  We might be a percentile better than two of St. Mirren, Dundee and Hamilton but what then?  Another season of this?

As it stands we should do the honourable thing and take the F out of MFC. 

Surely it’s first and foremost to pay off the debt and move forward from there. I would hope we will then see further investment in the playing squad and a better standard of footballer. Let’s be honest while we carry on signing none league, and lower league players from England we’re relying on a lot of luck because a percentage just won’t make the step up. Looking at who we signed this summer we have hardly pushed the boat out.

Had an evening to ponder on it and let emotion pass but yep.... that is the worst performance I have seen. I genuinely believe any other team in the league would have thumped us - we have Livingstons brand of anti-football to thank for that.

The manager has to take the rap for the failure in the summer signings and persisting with a system thats not working, but my main worry is has he lost the dressing room as well? It's beginning to look that way.

2nd half was like Malpas was back in charge, we created nothing at all. I know Livi have started well but surely questions must be asked when we create 0 chances in that second half.

I don't know what the answer is but I would like to see a 4 4 2 with Dunne at left back, Frear as winger  Tait and Cadden on right. Bigi and Campbell in centre with Johnston and Bowman up top.

I'm not wanting Robbo sacked but take away the cup runs the stats are terrible, something needs to change. 

3 hours ago, Gadgey said:

It's not a personal vendetta against Robinson more a protest of where he is taking our club and the quality of player he has brought to the club and the football he is serving up .His record in the league is terrible he is probably still here only because of his cup exploits ,but when he starts saying it was a great point yesterday and let's be honest he set up for a draw and when you do that at home it shows how bad we are . Regarding who we bring in I'm in the Lobey Dosser camp the next manager has to find a way of getting to the next window with the shite Robinson leaves him weeds out the players who don't have a future under him brings in quality and gets some of our promising youth players into the team and fingers crossed that will be enough to keep us up .Plenty of experienced managers out there looking for a job but what I will say is they've have all been sacked at sometime let's hope we pick the right one