2018'19 Game 8: Livingston (H) Saturday 6th October 2018

Andy_P

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Will Davy Turnbull get his chance tomorrow?. 

LOL. Im no sure David Turnbull would get his chance if we only had 10 other fit players. Robbo would probably bring Las & McManus out of retirement before Turnbull gets a real chance

What excactly is it that we're good at again. We haven't won a league game at home since old shep was a pup. We were as Carl McHugh called it a shambles at Rugby Park last saturday and outwith the Rangers and Dundee away game been basically shite all season.

Given Turnbull  got half an hour a couple of weeks in a row it's clear he's in the managers thoughts.  I doubt he'll get a start mind you.

Are all our hopes pinned on Turnbull? Or is Dunne? Can't keep track. Or is it Luke Watt?  I'm not entirely confident or a fan of the current system (see my other posts) but I let's not pin it all on young Turnbull.

As for our record at home - depends the way you cut the stats :

Last 6 home premiership games - W2, D1, L3 (not great, not a 6 game winless streak you'd think given some of the narrative)

or our last 6 home games overall say -W3, D1, L2 (looks no bad that way)

7 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Just listened to the Robinson interview....

Bang goes any chat of changes to systems. 'We have to play Livi at their own game and get back to what we are good at'

I have fear

I’ve never been big on blaming refs for results so dissapointed he’s going down that line. Good teams pick up more points than poor ones, nothing to do with refs over the course of a season and the simple fact is we have not been good enough. I don’t see him changing the system or style of play, we will probably see Bigi dropped and Rose back in and back to playing less football but just now I don’t personally care how we play as long as we get the three points. It’s not going to be pretty and I think very frustrating to watch. God help us if they score first.

I think we/Robinson are under a bit of pressure to get something, anything, from tomorrow. We’ve made a poor start and losing tomorrow would make it nothing short of a horror start. If we then lose against St Johnstone.....

Livingstones start to the season has been incredible, and there’s really no reason to believe it won’t continue tomorrow as we looked to have regressed if anything.

Worrying times.

The idea that Bigi could solve our problems this season has lost a bit of momentum . On the ball reasonably decent . Off the ball  game bypasses him . Think it might be back to the basics after listening to Robinson’s interview . He’s gonna play guys he trusts by the sounds of it . Might not be pretty but I’ll take it with 3 points on the board at five o’clock . So let’s get stuck right in there today and let’s get behind the team especially when we need it . Patience might be key today but think we’ll do it 

What I don’t get about Robinson is his constant chatter about balls and crosses into the box. 

However he sticks with this formation and style of play that is conducive to not getting decent balls in and playing with a midfield incapable of bursting into the box.

Would love us to go back to a 4-4-2. 

Carson

Tait Aldred Hartley ATS

Cadden Campbell McHugh Frear

Bowman Main

Get the ball down, attack with pace and width and get the balls into the box. Johnson for Main could be a call to get in behind the defenders.

Let Campbell and McHugh provide extra defensive support and get it out wide quickly when in possession. 

However we all know that’s not how we will line up. I anticipate. 

Carson

Tait Aldred McHugh Hartley Frear

Campbell Rose Cadden 

Main Bowman

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mintymac said:

The idea that Bigi could solve our problems this season has lost a bit of momentum . On the ball reasonably decent . Off the ball  game bypasses him . Think it might be back to the basics after listening to Robinson’s interview . He’s gonna play guys he trusts by the sounds of it . Might not be pretty but I’ll take it with 3 points on the board at five o’clock . So let’s get stuck right in there today and let’s get behind the team especially when we need it . Patience might be key today but think we’ll do it 

I think to get the best out of Bigi you would need to play a 4-2-3-1 and have him in the two paired with someone who can do the physical ball winning bit. It's also probably the case that if him and Campbell both need a more physical partner beside them they don't really fit into the same midfield.

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I think to get the best out of Bigi you would need to play a 4-2-3-1 and have him in the two paired with someone who can do the physical ball winning bit. It's also probably the case that if him and Campbell both need a more physical partner beside them they don't really fit into the same midfield.

It’s not so much the ball winning . I was thinking more about tracking his marker when they run off him . Latest eg the Kilmarnock game . Lazy defending for a midfielder . You’ll never win games if you allow that . Who did he think was gonna pick up his marker ????? . I was one who wanted him in the team but been unimpressed with his overall game and can see where Robinson is coming from . 

• Like 1

Regardless of our formation it’s up to the players to do the basic stuff right. Like passing, not getting caught on the ball, marking up, moving off the ball etc.  Robinson has to get the formation, tactics and personnel right in order for us to pose an attacking threat whilst still keeping it tight at the back. 

15 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

That team looks rapid... lots of creativity and excitement expected today. 

McHugh back to midfield.

Sadly we are reduced to sarcasm. Never a good sign for a manager's longevity when fans are reduced to taking the piss out of his team selection...

9 minutes ago, milo said:

Bigirimana is obviously the fall guy.

Bigi does not deserve to keep his place after performances of late, I would hardly say that makes him the fall guy, Cadden was dropped for the same reason along with both Campbell and Rose. Bigi is not immune simply because he’s a bit of a crowd favourite and can pass a ball. Every single player in today’s starting line up apart from Carson has been dropped at one stage or another.

Fact is, Robinson has bought a bunch of players during the close season, not one of who can get a sniff at a game in a team that's playing utter shite, except Donnelly, who's only there cause Dunne is injured.

Against hearts in the cup (after 20 mins) and Killie (after 20 mins) we turned into a team who just blooters the ball whatever way they're facing.  The manager has to take responsibility for that.

Not one player in that team that you'd say even on their best day, you'd pay to watch. Not saying that they're bad players but not much there to get you off your seat or set the pulse racing. If Livingston are disciplined and stick with their men, we won't score. Don't see anyone in that side capable of doing something unexpected, or beating a man. 

We've obviously been spoiled over the years with players who can turn a game out of nothing (recently Moult, Johnson, McFadden, Humphrey, Law, even Ainsworth) but that's a pretty uninspiring lineup...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Not one player in that team that you'd say even on their best day, you'd pay to watch. Not saying that they're bad players but not much there to get you off your seat or set the pulse racing. If Livingston are disciplined and stick with their men, we won't score. Don't see anyone in that side capable of doing something unexpected, or beating a man. 

We've obviously been spoiled over the years with players who can turn a game out of nothing (recently Moult, Johnson, McFadden, Humphrey, Law, even Ainsworth) but that's a pretty uninspiring lineup...

Was just thinking the same. Reminds me of how I felt hearing the line ups driving to a game under McCall and we had Reid, Ramsden and Kerr in the line up. 

Hopefully im proven wrong and we get a win but this looks dull.