2018’19 Game 9: St Johnstone (H) Saturday 20th October 2018

Welldaft Mk1

26 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Has Frear fell out with Robinson? He's not been in the past couple of squads or listed as injured.

I'd assumed it was because Robinson had reverted to grinders in the midfield as he tries to "restablish our identity as a club",  but that's just a guess on my part.

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Quite like Frear myself tbh!

Likewise. 

He's said himself it was a big leap to try and adapt to a wing back role, but he's still one of the few players we have that offer an out ball, and can hit the byline for a cross.

I like Robinson. I was against his appointment originally but he completely changed my mind last season. With that being said, I think the next few weeks is a bit make or break for me and many other supporters.  St Johnstone at home, St Mirren away and Dundee at home.  After this we hit another tricky run of fixtures playing Rangers, Aberdeen, LIvi, Celtic and Hearts.

In my mind, we need atleast seven points from the next three fixtures to try to obtain a comfortable gap away from the relegation zone going into the tougher fixtures in November - December. If we don't come out of the next three games with a decent number of points I'm not sure I will be backing the manager.

One added pressure this week is the Neil Mccann sacking. As enjoyable as it is to see a wee fud like him get sacked it isn't very good for us. Chances are that Dundee will get the 'new manager bounce' and start to pick up some better results. This puts even greater importance on the fixture against Dundee and the teams around us.

I'm trying to go into tomorrow's game with as positive an outlook as possible but it is difficult to keep this going throughout a game when watching Motherwell this season. Ultimately if we don't perform or get a result Fir Park is not going to be a pleasant place to be for the manager or players. We have all seen it numerous times before, Malpas, Mcghee etc etc. I'm hopeful most folk will encourage the team as much as possible rather than creating a negative atmosphere from than outset.

In terms of the game itself I genuinely don't think Robinson will change things. As I have said before I am starting to fear he is tactically quite one dimensional. I think most of us are hoping that his interview means he is going to throw a couple of the U20 boys in but I don't think that will be the case. For the majority of the year he has rhymed off numerous boys names but they have barely been given a sniff. I really hope I am wrong there btw.

If I was me picking the team I would go for something like

Carson

Tait Aldred Hartley Livingston

Campbell Turnbull Rose

Cadden Johnson Frear

Play Campbell/Rose slightly more deep lying. Turnbull in a more advanced role with Cadden/Frear as actual proper wingers. Johnson looks like our most natural goal scorer to me so if I had to choose one I would include him. I'm probably miles off the mark here but this is what I would do. Unfortunately I can smell our standard selection and 352 from here.

1 minute ago, DEWELL said:

Is Dunne fit? Here's hoping. We've really missed him. Means the awfull Donnelly can get dropped. Get a couple of the young guns in to freshen things up. Hope Cadden performs as he's been cack for a while.

Donnelly and Cadden are the young guns. 

16 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I think most of us are hoping that his interview means he is going to throw a couple of the U20 boys in but I don't think that will be the case. For the majority of the year he has rhymed off numerous boys names but they have barely been given a sniff. I really hope I am wrong there btw.

Playing the young guys wont help if all he does is say right boys, run hard, punt high balls up to the big lads up top and fight for the 2nd ball.

With any young players timing is key. Bring them in too soon and you risk destroying their confidence and they go backwards. However it’s what people have been asking for and it looks like it’s now going to start happening so hopefully they are able to make that step up. They are going to make mistakes and find it tough at times but hopefully fans don’t get on their backs and give them time.

• Like 1

Nice to hear Baraclough been mentioned in the interview. A manager that did not get the time and support he deserved at Motherwell.

Interesting how it is the same people that called for Baracloughs head that are calling for Robinson’s head. I don’t think you can have that kind of success at any level of international football if you are a diddy.

As for today, I think we will win the game narrowly and that a bit of confidence building will see our season turn for the better. 1-0 Well.

Would imagine this will be a tight affair lacking in any real quality , but hoping it's at least some way more entertaining than the shitfest that was the Livi game. 

Two teams on a poor run of form and don't see how the bookies can have us at evens and Saints at almost 3/1. The way we're going , no-one is a 3/1 shot against us. A great price that I'm sure many of their fans will be lumping on. 

We couldn't keep hens out a close, so a clean sheet seems unlikely , but will be glad to see Dunne return if he's back in, although it will take him time to get back match sharp and to the levels of last season. 

I'll have a punt on the even money, and a narrow 2-1 win would do for me. 

1 minute ago, Big Stall said:

Tait benched. Injured or the gaffer losing his marbles?

Turnbull getting a chance tho which is encouraging.

Probably out of position......