2018’19 Game 9: St Johnstone (H) Saturday 20th October 2018

Welldaft Mk1

I think everyone has now had enough. We're simply awfull to watch. Can't remember when we last won a home league game. Being beat by awfull teams like Accies and St. Johnstone. Playing the dreadfully 3-5-2 . Not signing a decent left back. Ruining our better players like Campbell. Tait and Cadden. It's time for Robinson to go before a dreadfull period turns into relegation. Elliot Frear is dreadfull too at the moment and the team is seriously lacking. I believe we have decent players at our club but they ain't performing .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I thought that's his purpose, to score goals..No?.I have never understood the philosophy of playing someone up front who cannot score goals just because he can run about a bit.If he was laying goals on, playing others in I would accept that but he hasn't and never will. So why do we keep playing him. We have a natural goal scorer in Johnson but we insist on benching him every game. 

If he was brought in to score goals then the management have misjudged him as a player. 

If Main and Bowman, neither of whom are goalscorers are played together, then that is also a misjudgement by the management.

I agree on Johnson, he should play alongside one of the others.

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

What makes Johnson a natural goal scorer?

Other than players falling over to give him easy finishes he's shown nothing. He was awful today.

Got to be the most stupidest comment I have seen on here. It takes a striker to finish those chances when people fall over. Look at Main today who basically missed an open goal many would argue Johnson would have buried.

Just now, DEWELL said:

I think everyone has now had enough. We're simply awfull to watch. Can't remember when we last won a home league game. Being beat by awfull teams like Accies and St. Johnstone. Playing the dreadfully 3-5-2 . Not signing a decent left back. Ruining our better players like Campbell. Tait and Cadden. It's time for Robinson to go before a dreadfull period turns into relegation. Elliot Frear is dreadfull too at the moment and the team is seriously lacking. I believe we have decent players at our club but they ain't performing .

Totally agree.  Campbell in particular looks a shadow of the player of last season.  While I don't believe the players have downed tools I feel they're stagnating and the place needs a shake up and a new approach. 

25 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If we can't beat a team as poor as that St. Johnstone team at home we are in serious trouble.

For me two bad teams with very little quality between them basically cancelled each other out for most of the match but when it came down to the crunch St. Johnstone upped it and put us under pressure for the last 10 - 15 minutes.  Shouldn't it be the home team doing that to the away team?

Created virtually nothing in the second half except for a couple of excellent balls from Turnbull taking out the St. Johnstone defence.  Main yet again proved his shooting is no where near good enough, even if he does work hard outside the box.  We need a goalscorer desperately.

In a year of league football (28/10/2017 - now) we have a 21.6% win ratio or 8 wins from 37 matches.  We have now failed to score in 5 out of 9 league matches and conceded in all 9.   Can only be described as atrocious.

Things getting pretty serious now.  We cannot lose to either St. Mirren or Dundee.

We said that about Accies, Livi and todays opponents. We play Aberdeen and Rangers after we play St Mirren and Dundee.  Problem for board will be who to replace Robinson with.

2 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Got to be the most stupidest comment I have seen on here. It takes a striker to finish those chances when people fall over. Look at Main today who basically missed an open goal many would argue Johnson would have buried.

Based on what?

He's had two easy finishes. Most of the rest of the time he's been garbage and his link play is dreadful.

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Based on what?

He's had two easy finishes. Most of the rest of the time he's been garbage and his link play is dreadful.

Based on any time he plays he is far more dangerous than Main, Scores goals, yes actually scores goals rather than running about like a headless chicken. He is a goal scorer first and foremost. If you want to go for stats then Johnson is night and day a better striker than Main in his career. Actually has Main ever scored more than 10 in a season?

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Based on what?

Sorry but if anyone on our books is a natural goalscorer  it’s Johnson. He’s shown that well before he even joined us.

5 minutes ago, milo said:

We currently have the worst striker options we’ve had in 20/30 years.

But we are a selling club, we must sell sell sell...Sod this building a team to compete nonsense. We must continue bringing 20 fuds a season to find a nugget of gold to sell and play with our fingers x behind our backs every week in the hope we stay up every year. As for the actual football...if we can call it that...Enough to lose 100 punters ever week until the end of the season.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Pepper said:

Today was totally down to Robinson and Robinson alone.

Subbing off ATS if he's not injured is nothing short of an admission that he doesn't know what he's doing.

The players look like they have no clue what he want's them to do. 

I like Robinson but his time as Motherwell manager has come to and end.

ATS was definitely injured. Hartley came over and told the manager he had a problem then ATS signalled he was done before he got subbed. 

7 minutes ago, smiddy said:

right now we anybody who can score goals in any league oh and you can only score if you create chances...…. which by all accounts we don't 

Yep. Forwards have to fight for almost every ball. We make very few clear cut chances. Even the best strikers need a few chances to score. 

A team devoid of ideas and options. Punt and chase for more than a season now. This worked when we had a striker that  could work from scraps or do it himself but Moult is long gone and so is any goal threat from this team.

We may survive but it isn't going to be pretty and it is going to hit our attendances hard. Zero entertainment at Fir Park these days.

• Like 1

Thought the team played better in the first half but as the game went on and they hadn't scored things started to change. They reverted to form falling back and leaving no one up. It is becoming so predictable , heads go down and we then look a beaten team because it is almost certain that we give away a stupid easy goal. Certainly the subs of Frear and Johnson  did nothing to help. Frear did nothing and Johnson not much better (he cannot head a ball, his feet are glued to the ground). I came away with the fear that we are definite doomed for relegation this year as this team has not the fighting ability that is needed in this situation. So disappointed with these  will find it difficult to make the effort to watch them.