2018’19 Game 9: St Johnstone (H) Saturday 20th October 2018

Welldaft Mk1

Sadly a game devoid of quality and any level of composure. The return of Dunn a big plus and I though a promising performance by Turnbull. We were the better of two poor teams first 60 minutes or so but as St Johnstone came more and more into it you just knew they would grab a winner. Not sure if it’s just confidence but Cadden and Campbell just seem to be going  backwards and without their contribution we really struggle. Fair to say Frear would have been better staying at home today but that probably goes for most of the team. I would have started Johnstone ahead of Main but don’t agree Main is not trying, I actually think all of the players are putting a shift in, it’s not effort that’s the problem it’s quality. Today was a big day for Robinson i’m afraid and to be still without a home win leaves him on dodgy ground. Real pity but every manager is judged on results so we need at least one win out of the next two or I feel the board may pull the plug.

7 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I thought it was noticeable there was zero atmosphere today. Not a single song or chant. Have even the Bois had enough?

Was only watching on MFCTV but looked like there were almost none of them there and the front of their section was meshed off- anyone know what was going on?

Was only watching on MFCTV but looked like there were almost none of them there and the front of their section was meshed off- anyone know what was going on?
Some chat on facebook that some were banned and rest walked but noticeable by their absence. Home crowd was 300 down on Livi game.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Some chat on facebook that some were banned and rest walked but noticeable by their absence. Home crowd was 300 down on Livi game.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

As we left the stadium they were hanging around near the local fast food place.

3 hours ago, Well Well said:

But we are a selling club, we must sell sell sell...Sod this building a team to compete nonsense. We must continue bringing 20 fuds a season to find a nugget of gold to sell and play with our fingers x behind our backs every week in the hope we stay up every year. As for the actual football...if we can call it that...Enough to lose 100 punters ever week until the end of the season.

I've always felt the sell model simply doesn't build a competitive team, and in looking for the gem you end up with a team like this where decent players like Cadden and Campbell are abused trying to get a spark in a bog.  I don't remember a team as bad as what we have now. It's also strange that with the success of Moult and Kipre, that the cupboard was bare last summer, with nobody coming in with any real potential.

Edited by Fairhill
spelling

I genuinely don't know what our game plan is anytime I see us play. This is the first I've had a season ticket in about 11 years and I can honestly say I was bored today. 

How hard is it for a player to bring the ball down with their chest and pass? The number of times I've seen the back 3 panic and hoof it out or just head it anywhere is unbelievable. 

I hate sounding out a manager to be sacked, as I genuinely don't know who we can get in to replace him, but there is no football being played, no creativeness, no genuine style. Cadden is doing all his running defensively and your taking any threat out of his game. If I can see that, why can't Robbo and change it? 

I always said when I finished playing football myself I'd get me and my kids a season ticket. There were times today I wondered if I've done the wrong thing in getting one. 

16 minutes ago, Kenzie said:

I genuinely don't know what our game plan is anytime I see us play. This is the first I've had a season ticket in about 11 years and I can honestly say I was bored today. 

How hard is it for a player to bring the ball down with their chest and pass? The number of times I've seen the back 3 panic and hoof it out or just head it anywhere is unbelievable. 

I hate sounding out a manager to be sacked, as I genuinely don't know who we can get in to replace him, but there is no football being played, no creativeness, no genuine style. Cadden is doing all his running defensively and your taking any threat out of his game. If I can see that, why can't Robbo and change it? 

I always said when I finished playing football myself I'd get me and my kids a season ticket. There were times today I wondered if I've done the wrong thing in getting one. 

Do you still have your boots?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I thought it was noticeable there was zero atmosphere today. Not a single song or chant. Have even the Bois had enough?

To be honest the fans are turning up expecting the worst which transfers onto the pitch to a degree.  

4 minutes ago, swami said:

I’ve heard reports that Elliot Frear came on today. Can anyone confirm this? 

No appearance worth noting. 

Ridiculously bad again today. 

Absolutely nothing going forward at all, no creative spark from midfield and forwards who couldn't score in the proverbial barrel of fannies. 

Robinsons' signings have to a man been poorer than what we already had, and along with the loss of Moult and Kipré have left us with a very low quality squad. 

One or two shrewd additions in the summer could have kicked us on, but instead the ridiculous 'strengthening' of 12-18 has absolutely fucked us. 

The managers refusal to admit his system isn't working is killing us. Anything less than, 2 wins in our next two outings could rightly see the end of his time with us. 

I will always be grateful for the two finals, but no man can live on past glories for ever. 

Actually thought like the Hamilton game we were better team for first hour.  Not saying much as ST J were quite poor. But our failure to score from any chances means we are always likely to live to regret it at some point. 

Robinson admits the subs did not work out but, in his defence Frear and Johnson were put on to try and win the game. It backfired but showed some ambition. Not sticking up for Robinson but what can he do when neither Main nor Cadden can hit the target when clear and in the box. 

For all that St Johnstone stepped it up a notch last 20 minutes and we were poor. I think we deserved a draw but when you give opponents corner after corner something is likely to give. 

Robinson will be given at least the next 2 games but anything less than 4 points should leave his position untenable.  We have broadly the same players who got us to 2 cup finals and some decent youngsters so would like to think we have enough to stay up.  But maybe needs a fresh perspective to deliver a change in fortunes. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mfcdez said:

I will always be grateful for the two finals, but no man can live on past glories for ever. 

I'll accept that I'm getting old and crotchety but to me this attitude is part of the problem.

Ask players in the 80 & 90's, and even the 00's, about losing in two major finals and they'd probably say it was the worst experience of their careers.  These days players say it was the highlight.  They are natural born losers.

I'll say it again and again.  Professional standards have been lowered over and over until we have the current standard of player - small time, lower league journey men. We need to start making demands of the players again.  If you play in the top level of a national league you should have basic passing skills.  A lot of our squad don't even have that.

I don't expect us to win every game but I expect us to try and win every game.  Doesn't happen any more.  Last weeks debacle against Livingston showed just how far we'd fallen.

Not just a Motherwell problem, the whole game in Scotland needs a massive kick up the arse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fairhill said:

I've always felt the sell model simply doesn't build a competitive team, and in looking for the gem you end up with a team like this where decent players like Cadden and Campbell are abused trying to get a spark in a bog.  I don't remember a team as bad as what we have now. It's also strange that with the success of Moult and Kipre, that the cupboard was bare last summer, with nobody coming in with any real potential.

If you don't remember a team as bad as this, you don't go too far back......this team actually has Some parallels wth the cup winning team , who the year after were awful and they were shouting for McLean's head , it's the Motherwell way.....

.All that being said , today was very uninspiring.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Was the referee right to send Aldred off for treatment? I thought the rule had recently changed, but not sure.

If the player that causes the injury is booked the injured party doesn't need to leave the field after treatment, no booking yesterday

And another opportunity goes abegging.

I do have some sympathy for Robinson after this one.  If we perhaps didn't deserve to win, we certainly didn't deserve to lose and losing a goal in injury time when you've a man off the park through injury seems entirely in keeping with the current predicament.

That said my sympathy only goes so far.  Yes, we've had players away on international duty but we've had two weeks to prepare for a game that in the context of the fixture list and recent results, was pretty crucial to win and essentially all we appear to have done was tinker around the edges with a couple of personnel changes.  Same formation. Same tactics.  No evidence of a Plan B.  Pretty disappointing really and I have to confess I expected more.

The return of Dunne was a positive as was David Turnbull getting 90 minutes and offer a bit of encouragement there.  The performance level too was up on the Livingston game but not exactly massively and I'd counter that by saying St Johnstone were a good bit poorer than Livi. But still no win, and with the sucker punch at the death, not even a point.

The result also leaves us stuck further in the group of four at the bottom of the table with the relative safety of mid-table now a couple of wins away.

As a bare minimum the reaction and intensity that we all hoped we'd see against Livingston and St Johnstone really has to be produced against St Mirren and Dundee now, these games simply have to be won.