2018’19 Game 9: St Johnstone (H) Saturday 20th October 2018

Welldaft Mk1

Maybe a tad early but the Perth saints have hardly set the heather on fire so far this season either. In fact were we to win we would jump ahead of them on goal difference. 

Currently they are getting a bit of a thumping off Celtic and some good news (for us) is that Swanson was red carded. I assume that means he misses our game ? If so good as he always seems to play well against us. 

I think we are all in agreement this season will be a struggle but this is a huge game. Even playing Livi with their current form and results meant we were slight underdogs yesterday as unpalatable as that may be. St Johnstone are struggling like we are, but if they come to Fir park and play well and get 3 points - does not bear thinking about. 

If we win it may help start to turn the tide a little. For sure we will need to up our game considerable from yesterday. Are we capable of that. I think we are. Hopefully the international break will see Dunne back on the bench at least and our better players getting their mojo back. 

I am sorry but I cannot see us getting a win, every week we here pre match from manager and a player saying how confident they are in getting a result, but after yesterday our confidence has basically gone and SR is running out of ideas and excuses to tell you the truth, hopefully I am proved wrong.

The only positive for me with Swanson getting sent off which cancels out McHugh's sending off, I wonder if Turnball will get his chance, I doubt it as he will slot Grimshaw in McHugh's place.

We badly need a win. 1 win in 8 is no good and St Johnstone are usually pretty decent on the road. If we play like we did yesterday then I don’t want to go. St Johnstone have a pretty good record at Fir Park in recent times if my memory serves me right as well.

If I was in charge I’d go 451.

Treva 

tait Aldred Dunne ATS

Bigi

cadden Campbell AGR Frear

Johnson

not a chance we’ll line up like that though.

We have three winnable matches coming up and we need to pick up a decent tally in these upcoming games because it gets a lot harder after that - Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen etc.

St. Johnstone aren't much better than us and have conceded 13 goals in the last three league matches.  They have also struggled to score goals, 5, excluding OG's and penalties, in 8 matches.

Another 1-1 draw seems the most likely result but we need to see a much better performance that the Livingston match.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to 2018’19 Game 9: St Johnstone (H) Saturday 20th October 2018
50 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Does anyone think that Campbell and Cadden should be withdrawn from their international squad? IMHO they are both suffering from burnout.   

Not at all imo. These are potentially two big games for Scotland with qualification still possible. It’s a fine opportunity for both players, giving them the chance to play with and against superior players. A different style of training and fresh environment may even lift their confidence.

Furthermore, given Motherwell’s investment in youth development through Project Brave, Cadden and Campbell’s international recognition should be celebrated. Playing in a potentially high profile game against England sets a marker for the youngsters coming through. 

If the players are suffering from burnout the blame lies closer to home. Maybe they should have been given more time off in the summer? Maybe Robinson should rotate his squad more? 

I'd like to see something a bit different in terms of personnel and formation.  The longer we shoe horn players into a system rather than finding a system to fit the players, the longer we'll be looking for performances and results.

Just throwing it out there.

Carson 

Tait Hartley Dunne Livingstone

Campbell Rose

Cadden Turnbull/Bigi  Main

Bad News/Johnson 

Obviously we'll line up 3-5-2 with numerous players out of position though.

I'm first to admit that there is a big difference between U20 level and the first team but given what the U20s done on Saturday is there any chance of any of them being included on Saturday?

I understand that it's likely that some of them will not be able to make the step up from Silgo Rovers to x SPFL side however there must be some that are in with a shout. I'm not sure what level we would say Silgo are at maybe League 1/Championship? (that's a guess as I wasn't there on Saturday)

Is there any point putting emphasis on youth development if we refuse to include players when our first team is doing so badly? It also seems pointless naming the likes of Turbull, Maigure and Scott in interviews if they aren't going to get a decent sniff.

My personal opinion is that the players coming out our youth system look like they have a higher technical ability than a lot of the guys we have taken from down south. Physically they aren't there in some cases but I think Robinson needs to do more to bring these boys through.

12 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I'm first to admit that there is a big difference between U20 level and the first team but given what the U20s done on Saturday is there any chance of any of them being included on Saturday?

I understand that it's likely that some of them will not be able to make the step up from Silgo Rovers to x SPFL side however there must be some that are in with a shout. I'm not sure what level we would say Silgo are at maybe League 1/Championship? (that's a guess as I wasn't there on Saturday)

Is there any point putting emphasis on youth development if we refuse to include players when our first team is doing so badly? It also seems pointless naming the likes of Turbull, Maigure and Scott in interviews if they aren't going to get a decent sniff.

My personal opinion is that the players coming out our youth system look like they have a higher technical ability than a lot of the guys we have taken from down south. Physically they aren't there in some cases but I think Robinson needs to do more to bring these boys through.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again young Turnbull has all the attributes to make it to the very top IMO he’s got more potential than Alan Campbell 

Should he be playing every week …… No

Should he be getting more game time ……Yes

As what happens with a lot of young players Alan Campbell has hit the proverbial brick wall … boy got no rest over the summer as he was away with Scotland and he’s played in every U21 games this season ……… Club should have been more proactive in protecting him ……… but our start to the season and Robinson’s insistence that we play 3 -5-2 has meant that he has played in just about every game.

Looking forward to the day when we play Cadden Campbell and Turnbull in midfield …… although think that is a long way off under Robinson 

39 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I would imagine SR is under severe pressure at the moment and cannot see him taking any chances with any of our younger inexperienced players at the moment, but that may change especially if we get beat on a Saturday.

If we get beat on Saturday he shouldn't get the chance to pick another team.

Saturday past does potentially put Stephen Robinson in a little bit of a bind.  The growing murmurings of discontent about formation, tactics and personnel won't have escaped him and the performances from the likes Livingstone, Turnbull and Maguire (Hastie too but since he's on loan it's academic until January) will have done nothing to dampen down the growing clamour for their increased inclusion in the team.

I think back to when he took over as caretaker and considered some of his selections then to be quite bold. He gave Allan Campbell more of a run than McGhee had afforded him and brought Shea Gordon in from nowhere. David Ferguson was trusted in a few games and Adam Livingstone got one or two off the bench (albeit that might be Inverness dead rubber I'm thinking of). Essentially though he seemed not that bothered about going with a youngster if he felt it warranted it.

Perhaps it was different then because none of these players were his signings whereas of course he's had three transfer windows to help shape the squad the way he wants it and the majority of the first team squad are there because he signed them or re-signed them.  Maybe that changes the mindset a little. 

It would be understandable that he wants to give *his* players that extra time to justify in his mind he was right to sign them. Maybe he wants to give them extra time to come good and prove their worth.  I just hope that the loyalty he's demonstrated to a number of underperforming player doesn't cross the line and become a stubbornness and that further hinders the chances of some of the aforementioned youngsters who genuinely look like they could make a positive contribution through their ability, energy and on the back of Saturday what must be high morale.

• Like 3

Oddly looking forward to this game. Think it will have a similar feel to the Livi game with both teams a bit cautious going forward and more looking to just be solid and try and nick it. A proper test this one and has the feeling of a pivotal game. Win, and it could help us find our feet again. Draw or lose and the discontent could turn a bit toxic, especially with the dreadful football we all know we're going to endure. With the youth beating Sligo and hammering Dunfermline at the weekend, hopefully there are a few fresh faces in the squad. Hopefully we don't wait until we're trailing 1-0 going into the 84th minute before we see them.

As people have been saying really big game for the season. Think we need to change system looked a lot better against hearts and Livingston with 4 at the back!

i would play 4-3-3/4-5-1

Carson

Tait Aldred Hartley Livingston (was honestly amazing on Saturday)

Turnbull Campbell Grimshaw 

Cadden Main Frear

42 minutes ago, smeddum07 said:

As people have been saying really big game for the season. Think we need to change system looked a lot better against hearts and Livingston with 4 at the back!

i would play 4-3-3/4-5-1

Carson

Tait Aldred Hartley Livingston (was honestly amazing on Saturday)

Turnbull Campbell Grimshaw 

Cadden Main Frear

For some reason, I quite like this selection and formation