• Allan Campbell
    • Curtis Main
    • Andy Rose
    • Ryan Bowman
    • Richard Tait
    • Elliott Frear
    • Danny Johnson
    • Null Vote

Dunne was fairly solid on his return but we weren't really put under a lot of pressure.  Turnbull came in and did well, needs a run of games now but I felt he fell out of it in the last third.

I thought Allan Campbell was our best player today.   Was always looking to get on the ball and do something and made some good defensive tackles.  Still not at his peak form but you fear for us if he wasn't there.

49 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Turnbull but dunne a close second......sorry yorkred but Bowman????

Obviously a choice that was always going to be debatable and we are taking the best of a very bad bunch here but he put in his usual shift in and tried to hold the ball up and play others in at times while just about everyone else seemed to just be thrashing the ball in any direction. Turnbull did have a promising debut but dare I say the votes are slightly skewed by the fact he’s a young player everyone has wanted in for ages. I’m also slightly biased as Bowman used to play for my hometown club York.

• Thanks 1

No beef with Frear usually but today was awful, each thing he tried was thwarted, no impact whatsoever.  I think Bowman is a very negative player with the ball at his feet, always turns away from goal to try and protect the ball rather than being positive.  The team in general tended to look to play the ball back or even wider than we already were.  Turnbull was man of the match because he played the ball forward twice. 

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

No beef with Frear usually but today was awful, each thing he tried was thwarted, no I'm pact whatsoever.  I think Bowman is a very negative player with the ball at his feet, always turns away from goal to try and protect the ball rather than being positive.  The team in general tended to look to play the ball back or even wider than we already were.  Turnbull was man of the match because he played the ball forward twice. 

Personally I think Bowman has become more negative of late but as you say so have the whole team. I just think at times he’s one of those players that gets stick far quicker than others.  Second half he made a hash of a pass to Johnstone and gets dogs abuse, Campbell and Cadden do it half a dozen times before they get the same reaction. Cadden was rank today and got a great ovation as he left the field.

Turnbull was  one of the few positives. A few lovely passes tidy in possession. My man of the man of the match. That said his fitness will need to improve because he was absolutely finished at 75 minutes on the clock but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt as the pace where he has been playing is significantly different from first team level.

Dunne made a decent return but faded towards end as you would imagine.

Carson was solid enough.

I kinda agree with Yorkyred re Bowman. He did nothing spectacular, but you always get a shift from him. He put himself about and at least tried to hold the ball up to allow the midfield to close the gap between them and the front two. Without him there would be no link up play.

Campbell and Turnbull were the 2 best performers. I went for Turnbull purely because we are crying out for someone with his composure on the ball to improve us as a team.

8 hours ago, ropy said:

As much as we are praising Turnbull I would hate to think that a run in the team would see him removed from the 'colts' team for their cup match.

I'm not sure if I'm in a minority of 1, here...but I literally couldn't give a fuck about the outcome of the Colts teams Cup match. I'm also pretty certain that, given the choice, Turnbull would swap a reserve match for an extended run in the 1st team, without consideration.

The Colts/Reserves/21s/whatever it is called, only has one real purpose, and thats to develop players for the 1st team

14 hours ago, ropy said:

As much as we are praising Turnbull I would hate to think that a run in the team would see him removed from the 'colts' team for their cup match.

I can't see it being an issue in all honesty.  The Ross County game is being played over an international weekend so the only barrier to him involved would be if he was included in some Scotland youth squad, although I believe the qualifying campaign has now been concluded.

I'm pretty sure that even though he'd played some first team games towards the end of 16'17 and had just broken into the team in the early part of last season Allan Campbell was still involved in the Crusaders Cup game and I'd expect Turnbull to do much the same.

8 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm not sure if I'm in a minority of 1, here...but I literally couldn't give a fuck about the outcome of the Colts teams Cup match. I'm also pretty certain that, given the choice, Turnbull would swap a reserve match for an extended run in the 1st team, without consideration.

The Colts/Reserves/21s/whatever it is called, only has one real purpose, and thats to develop players for the 1st team

I heartily agree...