Where are the bois?

BAZ

It is great that the bois bring an atmosphere, but it must be the right type of atmosphere for it to encourage others to come along and support our club. Needless to say, the behaviour at Accies is not going to encourage people along to Fir Park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MFCL84 said:

It is great that the bois bring an atmosphere, but it must be the right type of atmosphere for it to encourage others to come along and support our club. Needless to say, the behaviour at Accies is not going to encourage people along to Fir Park.

I agree totally....the Bois bring great atmosphere but there is an element that really need to screw the nut.   We all hate the behaviour that some old firm fans bring but there are times when some of our lads cross the line.    But in happier news it was my birthday yesterday and I have just had a cracking meal tonight...... COYW

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I agree totally....the Bois bring great atmosphere but there is an element that really need to screw the nut.   We all hate the behaviour that some old firm fans bring but there are times when some of our lads cross the line.    But in happier news it was my birthday yesterday and I have just had a cracking meal tonight...... COYW

happy BUFFDAY ,,,, if you know what I mean :whistling:

15 hours ago, MFCL84 said:

Problem is, it doesn't quite work like that. We don't get to ask a small group of lads to provide the atmosphere for the entire stadium, but to only do so on terms that we find acceptable.

We're talking about a group of individuals here, not a division of the boy scouts. Like loose groups of lads up and down the country (and all over the world) who go to football games you're going to see some undesirable actions, usually committed by a minority.

That's how it goes. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Problem is, it doesn't quite work like that. We don't get to ask a small group of lads to provide the atmosphere for the entire stadium, but to only do so on terms that we find acceptable.

You're right that we don't get to ask them not to vandalize stadiums. 

We get to tell them not to do that, and get to take action if they continue.

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

You're right that we don't get to ask them not to vandalize stadiums. 

We get to tell them not to do that, and get to take action if they continue.

No, "we" don't. The authorities do. Big difference.

"We" get to sit on our hands and murmur quietly when the team isn't playing well.

4 minutes ago, David said:

No, "we" don't. The authorities do. Big difference.

"We" get to sit on our hands and murmur quietly when the team isn't playing well.

If fans are misbehaving "we" get to ban them from our ground.

As fans, we also get to point them out to stewards if they cross the line (like the coin throwers and racist abusers at Tynecastle).

But if you are OK with that behaviour, you can keep sitting on your hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

If fans are misbehaving "we" get to ban them from our ground.

As fans, we also get to point them out to stewards if they cross the line (like the coin throwers and racist abusers at Tynecastle).

But if you are OK with that behaviour, you can keep sitting on your hands.

I would buy a ticket for that. U standin up during a match ,going to a steward and pointing out someone in your own support to get huckled and flung out. Your a braver man than me.    Can Remember at Tynecasle a couple seasons back the regular crittisiser ,you know who u are, was sittin in front of us and shoutin abuse at the jamtarts supporters beside us as well as the usual crap at our team. The Hearts supporters gave him pelters back and he actually went up to the stewards to complain about them shouting at him. Even our support began abusing him after that.  Its a lonley walk to the stewards during the game to point someone out.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:12 PM, The African said:

How wonderfully ironic to be discussing the correct usage of the suffixes “ise” and “ize” in a thread with the word Bois in the title.

"Boi" originates from the comic collector world (where "Fanboi" was coined).  So no problems with that either.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

"ize" is a sign you've gone full American.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) recommends -ize and notes that the -ise spelling is from French: "The suffix…whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Greek -ιζειν, Latin -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic." The OED lists the -ise form as an alternative

The Oxford Guide to English Usage and Fowler's also prefer "ize".

I know I'm old, but I was actually taught "ize" spellings at primary school.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

"Boi" originates from the comic collector world (where "Fanboi" was coined).  So no problems with that either.

I was looking it up online and stopped when it seemed to suggest that it was the term for the more manly participants in a sapphic relationship. The internet can be great for expanding knowledge and vocabulary.

29 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely.  More and more Americanisms creeping into UK English. A sign of the times! 

While I agree with your premise, Weeyin is correct here and, in this instance the reverse is the case with “ise” being more prevalent in the US. Personally, in this case, I find both acceptable. I see the written word as a means of communication and understanding and, in that respect, there are much greater crimes being committed than the possible misuse of a z for an s, or vice versa.

• Like 1