2018’19 Game 10: St Mirren (A) Wednesday 31st October 2018

Andy_P

Is it not Wednesday??

Quite gutted as I would normally go to this game. However it’s Halloween so have some parental duties to undertake.

Also Rangers are playing at home to Killie so traffic will be busy which means I cannot leave it late to go either as will be mobbed. 

Stupid night to put a full card on. 

Need three points badly. Hopefully go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 however we will stick to 3-5-2 with the long ball battling nonsense. 

Must win I think, for Robbo if not for the club.

• Like 1

It's the Wednesday, and I agree fully about the scheduling.

I realise that arranging fixtures in a congested calendar cannot be easy and you're never going to keep everyone happy, however is it really necessary for the authorities to schedule a full round of fixtures for an evening when they must know a large number of fans will be unable to attend? What's wrong with the Tuesday night?

1 hour ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Is it not Wednesday??

Quite gutted as I would normally go to this game. However it’s Halloween so have some parental duties to undertake.

Also Rangers are playing at home to Killie so traffic will be busy which means I cannot leave it late to go either as will be mobbed. 

Stupid night to put a full card on. 

Need three points badly. Hopefully go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 however we will stick to 3-5-2 with the long ball battling nonsense. 

Must win I think, for Robbo if not for the club.

If you want to really scare the weans St Mirren Motherwell should do the job.

Draw not the worst, a defeat plus a poor performance and it'll be bye bye Robbo

This is now a genuine must win,  St Mirren are absolute dirge. From what I have seen they look even worse than us at the moment. We should have more than enough to get the job done here.

A defeat is unthinkable and if we lose I would suggest a change needs to be made straight away. Unfortunately I suspect Burrows would leave it until atleast after the Dundee game.

To me, a draw is a case of prolonging the agony somewhat. If we can't beat the likes of St Mirren I think we need to look at someone else who can take us forward long-term. The fear I have is we need to get points on the board going into the tough run of fixtures after the Dundee game. When I say points on the table we need wins. 6 points to me was a minimum expectation going into the St Johnstone, St Mirren and Dundee trio of fixtures. Bit doom and gloom but I genuinely hope this week can see some big changes to the way we play both stylistically and in terms of results. Won't hold my breath though.

In terms of line-up I can see Robinson sticking with the 352 but keeping Turnbull involved given he was the best guy on the park for us last time out. Everything else I fear basically picks itself in Robinson's mind despite his threats to 'change things up'. Only question for me is will McHugh come back into the side? Should be interesting as he seems to be a firm favourite of Robinson.

Main concern I have just now is goals. I have a feeling he will stick with the Main/Bowman combination. For the life of me I can't really explain how he continues to leave Johnson out of the side. He looks like the only guy in the squad who has a genuine eye for goal. Other than Johnson I can't see any striker getting even 10 league goals this season. There was a lot of 'told you so' type remarks following Curtis Main's purple patch last season in response to fans who sighted his absymal goal record. Unfortunately Main has went on to prove a lot of the doubters right. His goalscoring record  is starting to take shape and looks pretty similar to what it looked like at his previous clubs. Basically he has some good attributes but will never be a natural goalscorer in my mind therfore was never ever going to fill the Moult void. In short, you can't judge players solely on their career statistics but if they have scored 5 goals in 60 games for Darlington it might give you a wee bit of a clue. I would honestly drop Main and start with Bowman and Johnson. Bowman clearly isn't a natural finisher either but his workrate is usually a wee bit better and I think he could link up well with Johnson. Regardless of who starts we need a striker signed in January.

I actually think we might win on Wednesday. More to do with how bad St Mirren look than how good we look right enough.

I wouldn’t go to this game even if I lived there and it was free. It’s going to be terrible.

In these situations it’s easy to go with the “tried and trusted”, which is why i see the same turgid 3-5-2 with the usual suspects in the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I would expect McHugh to come in for Rose.

I think he will stick with Main and Bowman because he said Johnson looked scared against St Johnstone and St Mirren look like a team who can possibly be pushed around.

it doesn't matter if st mirren look as if they can be pushed around,,,, and main and bowman are just the boys to push them around ,,,,,,, but can any of them actualy feckin score ???? 

how hard can it be ? ffs both teams are pish, it could possibly be a 0-0 keekfest glad am working 

St. Mirren have scored 2 goals in their last 9 matches and taken 1 point from the last 27.

But if you think that form makes us look good remember they can leapfrog us if they win on Wednesday.

If we can't beat this mob it's the end for Robinson.  Perhaps not on the night but it would take an almost impossible upswing in form to save his job in the short to medium term.  Our November/December fixtures look like a death spiral.

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

St. Mirren have scored 2 goals in their last 9 matches and taken 1 point from the last 27.

But if you think that form makes us look good remember they can leapfrog us if they win on Wednesday.

If we can't beat this mob it's the end for Robinson.  Perhaps not on the night but it would take an almost impossible upswing in form to save his job in the short to medium term.  Our November/December fixtures look like a death spiral.

The hope would be two wins and the increased confidence that would bring seeing us pick up the odd point or two against the better teams. Yes I know a long shot but stranger things have happened and confidence goes a long way.

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

...remember they can leapfrog us if they win on Wednesday..

A  truly worrying stat.  I stay about 15 minutes from St.Mirren’s ground  and the apathy I have about this game is similar to how I felt when Malpas was in charge.  To be honest there are better things I could be spending £20 on that doesn't involve Motherwell or St Mirren. I could even get a free ticket for the game through my wife's work as they are associated with St Mirren. However,  I'm not sure  if I would want to sit in a home end with more depressed fans than we have at Fir Park.  I suspect they will be lucky to get 3,000 for this game.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I had the chance. I've seen plenty of terrible 'Well teams and plenty of terrible games, but it was always a case of "never again" until about 2 days before the next one - then off we'd go again.

There's definitely less sense of duty to attend these days. 

This is such a huge game given our fixtures over November and December but also our relegation rivals’ games over the next couple of weeks;

Motherwell - St Mirren (A), Dundee (H)

St Mirren - Motherwell (H), Rangers (H)

Dundee - Celtic (H), Motherwell (A)

Accies - Aberdeen (A), Livi (H)

Six points could see us open up a little gap (7-8 point cushion) over the current bottom two if other results go as expected. We could also leapfrog Accies. Anything less than 6 and we’re in deep shit. 

I’ve absolutely no doubt we’ll stick with the horrendous 3-5-2 but at least Dunne provides a bit of pace in there now. Cadden and a Main will continue to be shite but start, Tait will be out of position, and Johnson will remain on the bench. 

It’ll never happen but a version of Mcghee’s lop-sided 4-4-2/4-3-3 would be refreshing and I think we have the personnel to make it work. 

Carson

Tait Aldred Hartley Dunne

Cadden Campbell Turnbull Rose

Bowman Johnson. 

Despite the turgid rubbish we’ve been served the last 6 weeks I actually think we’ll win here. Mainly due to St Mirren somehow being worse than us. 0-2, Bowman and Hartley. 

• Like 1

Halloween is probably my biggest bugbear of the year...I'm no Scrooge when it comes to my kids, I love Christmas, Easter, Guy Fawkes night, Pancake Fucking Tuesday and all the rest but Halloween...I fucking detest it.

Either taking my kids round other folks doors in the freezing cold and/or rain, listening to their pishy jokes, door after door, while those coming to the door (if the actually come to their door) clearly cannae be fucked with it either...or even worse, being in the house, when my own door gets chapped and I need to listen to some wee street urchins own pishy jokes, while their maw and da', hang about sheepishly wishing it was all over.

This year, however, I am fucking delighted about Halloween, my oldest wanted me to take him to Paisley...sorry, kid, I'd much rather wander about in the freezing cold with your brother and sister and irritate the neighbours, than subject myself to more of the drivel we have been served up this season. Win, lose or draw tomorrow night...it won't be fucking pretty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7