2018’19 Game 10: St Mirren (A) Wednesday 31st October 2018

Andy_P

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Either taking my kids round other folks doors in the freezing cold and/or rain, listening to their pishy jokes, door after door,

If there's one thing to be said for the Americanised trick-or-treat version of Hallowe'en, it's that they skip the pishy jokes part. Open door, chuck sweets at child, close door.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dezz said:

This is such a huge game given our fixtures over November and December but also our relegation rivals’ games over the next couple of weeks;

Motherwell - St Mirren (A), Dundee (H)

St Mirren - Motherwell (H), Rangers (H)

Dundee - Celtic (H), Motherwell (A)

Accies - Aberdeen (A), Livi (H)

Six points could see us open up a little gap (7-8 point cushion) over the current bottom two if other results go as expected. We could also leapfrog Accies. Anything less than 6 and we’re in deep shit. 

I’ve absolutely no doubt we’ll stick with the horrendous 3-5-2 but at least Dunne provides a bit of pace in there now. Cadden and a Main will continue to be shite but start, Tait will be out of position, and Johnson will remain on the bench. 

It’ll never happen but a version of Mcghee’s lop-sided 4-4-2/4-3-3 would be refreshing and I think we have the personnel to make it work. 

Carson

Tait Aldred Hartley Dunne

Cadden Campbell Turnbull Rose

Bowman Johnson. 

Despite the turgid rubbish we’ve been served the last 6 weeks I actually think we’ll win here. Mainly due to St Mirren somehow being worse than us. 0-2, Bowman and Hartley. 

Fortunately the team mentioned here won't be the one taking the field, i think with both Dunne and ATS missing we might well see Adam Livingstone. 

Carson 

Tait Aldred Hartley Livingstone

Cadden Campbell Turnbull Frear

Bigi

Johnson

A line up with players comfortable in every position, no square pegs in round holes, players out wide who will hit the bye line, bigi in a free role, with no defensive responsibility, Turnbull dictating the game, Campbell for some bite. two full backs who can get up and down all day. plenty of options on the bench to change it up, main, bowman, Mchugh to tighten things up.

I know I've banged this drum before but anyone suggesting a back four with Aldred and Hartley as centre backs needs their head read. 

Taylor-Sinclair being out added to Livingstone playing in the reserves yesterday pretty much puts to bed any notion of us playing a back four tomorrow anyway. It slightly amuses me that those claiming Robinson is too wedded to the 352 seem almost equally wedded to the idea that changing formation will help. Personally reckon it might just be that the majority of the players aren't good enough. That being said, it might be worth changing formation only to try and surprise the opposition. 

If Dunne is fit to play I'd go 

Carson

Tait Aldred Maguire Dunne

Turnbull McHugh Campbell

Cadden Bowman/Johnson Frear 

Struggled to decide between Bowman and Johnson. Bowman is useful at dragging defenders out of position, creating space but Johnson looks a more natural finisher. Main? I'll pay his train fare back down south myself...

Suspect a 0-0 is the very best we can hope for, hope I'm proved wrong

17 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I thought the same with Livingstone, but he was pulled at half time which is why I went with it. If Dunne isn't fit he seems really the only viable option?

Didn't realise that Livingstone only played 45 minutes of the reserve game. Would still be astounded to see him in the team. Fully expect Tait and Cadden as wing backs in a 352...

2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

My best guess, maybe not what I want, but most likely what will happen:

Carson
Aldred McHugh Hartley
Cadden Campbell Bigi Turnbull Tait
Main Bowman

I'm a fan of Bigi, and would love to see him back in the team.  His early form was one of the reasons behind our OK-ish start to the campaign, although I'm the first to admit he had gone off the boil in his latter appearances.

However, I don't think there is any prospect whatsoever of Robinson playing both Bigi and Turnbull in the same team.

17 hours ago, weeyin said:

it was always a case of "never again" until about 2 days before the next one - then off we'd go again.

I was once that young and foolish , however, time and financial constraints  have  since healed that dreaded curse. On my list of priorities Motherwell have quickly moved so far down the list that they soon won't be on it. 

There is no way Robinson is going to change his formation tonight. 

You think he's played time after time after time with 3-5-2 and then he gets to a game that, even in our abysmal form are probably still favourites to win, and decides to change it?

Tonight is his chance to prove the tactics and formation work enough to put a win on the board. 

Of course it's a big gamble for him but it would be a bigger gamble for him to change it.  If we played a different formation and different players tonight and lost he'd have no where to go. 

For St. Mirren and Dundee he'll stand by the formation and players that got him here.  These two matches are a last stand for everything the manager has believed in.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Sorry to ask this every week but is this on MFC TV?

Looks like St Mirren usually have a live stream (run by students from the University of the West of Scotland), so that suggests it will be available.

Nothing confirmed on their (or our) official channels though.