2018’19 Game 10: St Mirren (A) Wednesday 31st October 2018

Andy_P

Yeah unusually of late we totally dominated, our movement was better and we just didn't resort to hoof ball. No failures tonight but I do slightly temper it with it was St Mirren who are truly honking. However you can only play whats in front of you and we looked confident all night. Well deserved 3 points in a real pressure game.

Enjoyed the game and performance.  We desevered our win. Curtis Main badly needs a goal outside the box he was excellent but he just can't hit the target.

Every player played their part but what I will say Is St Mitten are the worst SPL team I have saw in a long time. The two centre halves know Samson is a bombscare, no threat up front, only player who looks ok is Edwards.

Wasn't impressed when I saw the team but fair play to Robinson he got it right tonight. 

What a difference when you actually see some football being played.

What a farce the entry system is, that needs changed 

What a difference it makes having bigi and turnbull in the middle of the park who actually want too keep the ball and make passes,if we can get campbell back too his best,we really could be onto something with that midfield.

1 hour ago, wellup83 said:

Samson reaffirming how pish he really is on both occasions. 

That's a bit harsh on him for the second goal although, similar to his time with us, he just doesn't seem to inspire confidence and we seemed to be under instruction to shoot whenever possible- I can't remember the last time we had so many shots on target. 

Comfortable win against very limited opposition.  As I said at half time if you are a St. Mirren supporter it could be a long time before you see your team score.  They had absolutely no threat whatsoever, their delivery into the box was atrocious and there was no link up play middle to front.

We played better but caution should be advised.  We need to be able to beat teams outside the bottom three before anyone gets carried away.

Turnbull though has stepped up no problem at all.  Way more accomplished with a football at his feet than almost anyone else in the team.  More of our youth players need to be introduced and although I don't want to complain too much after a long awaited victory, we were 2-0 up away from home, very comfortable in the match and we bring on Campbell after 72 minutes to no real purpose and then bring on Maguire in the 89th minute.  These are the matches when you can bring younger players on from the bench and give them some real game time and I still feel like Robinson just doesn't get it. 

Given Dundee's form we should be looking to follow tonight up with another win.  That's bare minimum.  Then we can see if we can actually perform against teams that don't lose against, literally, everyone.

Delighted he played Bigi and Turnbull together. With the right grafters beside them, they showed they are both capable of creating. 

Also nice to see that, sometimes, we made use of the well-kept St Mirren grass and passed the ball on the deck.

Did not get along last night but delighted with the result.  As St Mirren and Dundee have proved so far a change in management does not always mean a change in fortunes. 

What I particularly liked was the amount of shots from outside the box. As per most were straight at the keeper but as Turnbull ably proved you don’t shoot you don’t score. So many times this season we have been frightened to take shots from that range all the while the opposition as in Livi, Hamilton etc have been scoring believers against us. More of this please. 

Same team for Saturday ? Maybe Campbell to come back in but for who ? By all accounts Grimshaw performed well and we pretty much know if McHugh is available he will play. Turnbull is like Campbell last season now (hopefully) a fixture in the starting 11. Strange how many of us pointed this possibility out many months ago and again (like Campbell before) it took injuries to make it happen. 

Anyway a good Halloween

Delighted with the result, and it only re-affirms what I already believed...we are in no danger of being relegated. Quite simply, we are a better team, and have better players than (at the very least) St Mirren, Dundee and Accies...over the course of the season, we'll have enough to keep us away from 11th and 12th positions. Last night, we looked a bit more energetic than usual, we had clearly been instructed to make sure we got balls into the box, and to shoot on sight, given what we all know about the St Mirren goalkeepers capabilities. 

St Mirren are fucking woeful, and if Dundee can get their finger out, then Paisley should be hosting Championship matches again next season (unfortunately, as I'd rather see the back of Livi or Accies).

The 3-5-2 formation has been taking some amount of criticism recently, and I can understand that, but its not the formation thats the issue...its the personnel being asked to play it, AND probably more importantly, the long-ball tactic that we seem to consistently go for. Plenty of teams over the years, have had huge success with a 3-5-2 formation, us included, so its wrong to bleat on about that as if a change in formation will cure our ills (it may help, granted). Yes, we got the win, last night, but I'd rather we didn't just automatically start playing a 4-4-2 every single week, particularly not the variation we seen last night, as the diamond leaves us very exposed defensively on the flanks...the fact we have very little natural width in the squad is a big worry, almost as big a worry as not having any strikers in the squad with any real confidence in themselves.

Anyway, regardless of all that, its great to get the win on a night where Accies and Dundee lost...on to Fir Park on Saturday against a team very much in the mire, hopefully another 3 points on the board.

Last night was a pleasant surprise. I was sure when the team line up came through that we were sticking with the same old system. Fortunately it quickly became evident that McHugh was indeed in a more advanced position rather than part of a back 3. I have to give Robinson some credit for finally changing this, I genuinely thought he might refuse to change things following his interview yesterday. I'm hopeful this isn't just a one off and we can use this going forward.

Looking at the actual players I thought a lot of the guys acquitted themselves very well. There seemed to be a lot more relaxed approach on the ball rather than just lashing it up the park. There were occasions where we reverted to type but there was a lot more football played last night.

Special credit needs to go to Chrissy Cadden who finally stepped up to the plate. Regardless of position he has been underperforming for some time now and showed last night what he is capble of. Again, I thought Turnbull was class. Technically he is head and shoulders above the majority of the senior players at the club. Grimshaw was also very good at times and done a lot of important running for the team.

I do want to caution somewhat that St Mirren were absolutely horrendous and are probably the worst team I have seen in the SPFL for a good few years. I suspect even Dundee will give us a  much stiffer test on Saturday. We did play a lot better than we have been but you need to take into account the calibre of the opposition. Regardless if we can get a win on Saturday things will start to look a lot different. At the moment though one win is all it is and it will mean nothing if we don't follow this up on Saturday.

Given the circumstances I thought our support deserve some credit. Great numbers (despite horrific traffic situation) and vocal but positive. Hopefully we can continue this on Saturday.

Part one of the salvage job completed. Part 2 on saturday. We need to hope Dundee and St. Mirren cant manage a run of wins that Ross County did a few years ago to consign us to the memorable but nervy play off. Similar performance on saturday should get us another 3 points.

A great result against a truly dreadful St Mirren side. If they are are not relegated outright this season there is something far wrong with our game.  It was a much better team performance from us, although, Curtis Main badly needs a goal as his confidence levels are shot. His recent performances are night and day from what I witnessed when he first signed.  I’m not sure what has happened, but fingers crossed he gets back to that early form pretty sharpish.