2018’19 Game 11: Dundee (H) Saturday 3rd November 2018

Andy_P

Bowman and Main putting in the work again, mainly bowman, but both really should have scored a couple each with the chances they had. Both are terrible at heading crosses too.

Turnbull’s touch is just ridiculous, and the midfield has a good balance about it right now with grimshaw and Cadden linking well. Cadden was really good again.

Aldred and Hartley were rock solid today. I think having McHugh in front of them, rather than a back 3 has been effective.

Special mention to Bigi throwing himself at everything towards the end there, other than one blip I thought he had one of his best game’s for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Turnbull and Bigi in the same team has added a level of creativity we have been sorely lacking - even if our strikers haven't been able to take advantage. 

I don't know if other opponents will afford us that luxury, but it's been fun to watch them this week. Not something you could say about many performances this season.

Fair play to Robinson for taking that chance.

• Like 2

Better performance and much better brand of football albeit with the caveat that we were playing a team rock bottom of the league.

Once again Turnbull has made the difference and only adds more evidence to my theory that we can produce better players than we can bring in.   Superb strike for the goal.

There are still some glaring problems though- our strikers just aren't good enough and we still lack width, especially on the left hand side.

For me these two games were must wins, now it remains to be seen if we can take points off teams outside the bottom two.

Hopefully we can build from here and we don't revert to hoofball when we are being pressed harder and have less possession against better quality teams.

• Like 1

David Fucking Turnbull. 

That lad is a footballer of the top degree. Touch, movement, passing, vision and physically is more than able to compete. 

Plus he can ping a ball be it a set piece or off the deck. This is a player who will earn us major cash. 

Taken long enough for him to get a chance but he clearly deserves to be there. 

• Like 1

Special praise goes also to Liam Grimshaw. Whom I thought played really well. Yes sometimes I get it wrong. Fab goal from Turnbull and he looks a class act. Get him signed up. Have to say I  like Carl McHugh in defence but in midfield he does ma Heid in.

Over the moon with the result today. Those 6 points were essential and have given us a good gap going into a tricky run of fixtures.

Turnbull the match winner is quickly looking like a huge talent. We need to get him signed up asap as it looks like his contract ends in May.

Cadden again looked like a different player. Grimshaw too was great again. 

Only negative for me was up front. We literally have no natural finisher. We need someone who can convert those chances today. Bowman worked tirelessly and Main was decent at times but we need cutting edge up front. There's an argument to put Johnson in with Bowman.

Really pleased for the boys and Robinson. Say what you want but the change in system and playing style seems to be making a real difference. So refreshing to see some good passing football at Fir Park again.

Decent performance, deserved 3 points. Turnbull the pick of the crop with Grimshaw and Cadden doing well. Nice to see a win at Fir Park. 

Still a lot to do but the biggest problem right now is not having a cutting edge to our play. It will cost us dear as the season progresses.

We looked decent, especially in the second half. However, if Dundee’s effort in the first half had been a fraction lower it might have been a different story. All in all it’s been a great two games that gives us some breathing space between us and the bottom two. The goal was worthy of winning any game and the boy looks like he has the potential to go all the way in the game. 

Can’t fault anyone in midfield today especially Biggi and Turnbull. Everyone put a shift in to be fair but you always had that fear we would see a repeat of Hamilton and St Johnstone. Dundee however would struggle to score in a brothel they are that bad. As others have said we just have no cutting edge up front with any combination, Main was furious when he was taken off but I don’t mind that, at least he cares. Cadden is improving along with Aldred and Hartley although that’s tempered by the quality of the opposition. However two wins with two defeats for St Mirren and Dundee make it a very good week.

When Turnbull and Bigi are on form, we are lacking a striker with the same footballing brain to take advantage. 

Main and Bowman give us energy and power and link up play, but lack the nous of a Moult or a Higdon.

It was no coincidence that Ciftci had his best game for us against Accies when Bigi and Turnbull were in the team. That is the type of player I was hoping we'd sign instead of Sammon - although I still have hopes that Johnson might give us that. Difficult to tell until he gets more minutes. 

25 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Nope Adam Livingston at left back for me. As much as I like Tait, I believe Livingston  would thrive in this new formation. Similar to Cadds on the right hand side. 

Agree with this Tait at right back  complements Cadden and the lack of a left back be it Livingston or whoever is to me one of the main reasons we're fighting relegation this season

Turnbull's effort was Goal of The Season stuff and he's the guy imo who's gained us six points in two vital games. Bigi was frustrating at times but he can always do something unexpected so I can thole him  and even Grimshaw today did some great ball-carrying today. Cadds had some good runs in the first half but "RB" seems a waste of his talents.To a simple soul like me midfield is all about a balance of abilities: we don't need everyone to be a Stakhanovite in order to "win the right to play football". A runner, a sitter and a dinker or combination thereof usually works.

Strangely, the improvement in midfield just magnified the lack of guile up front. Main desperately needs a goal, any goal, to give him confidence: even his practice shots rarely hit the net.  Ryan is admirably tireless though limited  but he could work in a duo with a real goal-scorer. Johnson, sadly,  doesn't look that yet. Pat of the problem seems to me to be their running/taking position to make space for themselves. In this they don't look naturals. At least this can be coached to a significant extent. I wish Pettigrew and Graham had bucked the space-time continuum and made a video.

Onwards to Castle Grayskull and a coupon buster.

Much improved performance across the team. Who would have thought it? When we pass it on the deck and let the ball do the work we actually look like a football team and one that can score goals. Young Turnbull is a breath of fresh air and gives us a driving force going forward.  Just need Curtis in amongst the goals, thought his linkup play and running off the ball was impressive.