2018’19 Game 11: Dundee (H) Saturday 3rd November 2018

Andy_P

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

I meant we were shipping goals with the 3-5-2.

Wednesday night was our first clean sheet in the league.

Hibs away conceded 3

Hamilton home conceded 1

Rangers home conceded 3

Dundee away conceded 1

Hearts home conceded 1

Aberdeen away conceded 1

Kilmarnock away conceded 3

Livingston home conceded 1

St Johnstone home conceded 1

Not 'shipping' masses of goals. Only three league games when we've conceded more than one goal. If in each of the games we have conceded 1 goal, we had scored 1 more goal than we did then we would have six more points than we have now. We have played 11 league games and failed to score in 5 of them.

I'd suggest that while our defence may not have been great, the forward area is a bigger problem....

• Like 1

Defence hasn't been great mostly down to individual errors rather than any terrible tactics. We have lacked pace at times when Dunne has been out, but overall not terrible.

The Bowman/Maon combo hasn't presented any significant goal threat since the start of the season. I don't expect a ton of goals from Bowman; his role is obviously the grafter - something that worked well when he had Moult beside him. Main is obviously lacking confidence and I think could do with a game or two in the reserves just to get his Mojo back. No doubt he is a hard worker and good off the ball, but we need someone that is scoring and, right now, that's not him.

Hopefully one good game will turn his season, but if not, he might end up doing a Fisher - a guy that could score goals, but whose bad run finished his chances at Fir Park.

8 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Small thing but really annoyed watching sportscene today. 

A young 19 yr old Scottish midfield talent scores two goals from outside the box in 4 days and also controls the play of the game and barely merits a mention. 

However you are guaranteed if that had been a player from Rangers or Celtic then they would have had their own 20min segment. Spent longer talking about Callum McGregor moving to a different position in midfield that talking up a cracking goal from a talented young player. 

I’m happy with that until we get him signed up on a decent length contract. 

I think most people can see where the problem is, it's up front. Some games they have not got great service , but when they have, Main couldn't hit a barn door from 3ft, and his pathetic free header against St Mirren just sums it up for me. He should be rested for the next three months.

54 minutes ago, CoF said:

What do folk think about Johnson?

Start of the season he looks like a real asset. Quick to get shots away and more than capable of holding the ball up in tight areas. Surprised to see him only get limited game time now. 

On the face of it, it just doesn’t make sense.

The only one of our weak weak forward options who actually looks like he knows where the goal is and he gets nothing more than cameo appearances.

Or he could be the be Louis Moult and need a run of consecutive starts before he finds form. (And Fletcher would never have scored the goal Johnson scored against Rangers).

Regardless, he has scored the same number of league goals this season as Bowman and Main combined. 

We need some kind of change up front. Strikers reach a point where persisting with them during a dry spell does them more harm than good. I think Main is close to that point. 

I imagine he'll still start next week, but during the international break they need to put him in a field with a set of goalposts and just let him keep shooting at an empty net. 

8 hours ago, milo said:

On the face of it, it just doesn’t make sense.

The only one of our weak weak forward options who actually looks like he knows where the goal is and he gets nothing more than cameo appearances.

I still think he has potential, I would give him a run of games and see where it goes.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, ropy said:

We have never been shipping goals, there have been a few that were self inflicted due to silly free kicks etc but the issue has been the zero side of the 0-1 results.  We need to find a way of scoring goals, 30 yard screamers excepted.

We'd conceded in every league match up until the last two matches.  And the Dundee match was won by 1 goal, ie, if we had conceded in that match we wouldn't have won it.

Given that our strikers have a poor goal return and in general we don't have a lot of goals around the side we don't need to be shipping goals to drop into  terrible form.

Right now we are failing to score in about 50% of our league matches so  keeping clean sheets is crucial to picking up points.

It's how we stayed safe last season despite being pretty awful to watch.

I'd prefer a different kind of football but right now we don't have the personnel to outscore teams.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We'd conceded in every league match up until the last two matches.  And the Dundee match was won by 1 goal, ie, if we had conceded in that match we wouldn't have won it.

Given that our strikers have a poor goal return and in general we don't have a lot of goals around the side we don't need to be shipping goals to drop into  terrible form.

Right now we are failing to score in about 50% of our league matches so  keeping clean sheets is crucial to picking up points.

I'd prefer a different kind of football but right now we don't have the personnel to outscore teams.

As others have said we are not shipping goals, we have lost a couple of goals but we are not losing many. On Saturday it wouldn't be stretching it too much to say Ryan Bowman could have scored a hat trick and Main's missed headed at St Mirren was really bad. The real problem as I see it is our two front men are not doing it.

We start scoring goals and we start to rise up the table in my opinion. Certainly move to safety. 

Compared to our direct rivals - Hamilton, Dundee and St Mirren our goal difference is miles better for once.

Us -4

Hamilton -15

St Mirren -20

Dundee -24

In fact, we've only conceded 3 more than Hearts and Killie.  So, whilst defence I dont think is as good as it should be. Scoring goals is our main problem imo that needs addressed. Wether we can do anything about that before the next transfer window remains to be seen. 

The two  problems for them on Saturday IMO was that due to the narrow midfield (which worked a treat) either one was dropping wide to build attacks.  Then trying to cross and only the other was in the box making it more difficult. Prob need to work on getting runners from midfield!

also main confidence seems so low and he seems a total confidence plater. Never gave up or stopped running but nothing came off for him all game!

1 hour ago, smeddum07 said:

The two  problems for them on Saturday IMO was that due to the narrow midfield (which worked a treat) either one was dropping wide to build attacks.  Then trying to cross and only the other was in the box making it more difficult. Prob need to work on getting runners from midfield!

also main confidence seems so low and he seems a total confidence plater. Never gave up or stopped running but nothing came off for him all game!

Main hasn't stopped running, but he has noticeably stopped getting himself into scoring positions - and that is also a confidence thing.  Strikers will often focus on other parts of their game when they lack scoring form, but that doesn't always help them get back amongst the goals.

The great ones are happy to keep shooting until they start scoring again, and not worry about what they screw up. But those guys are few and far between.

5 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

As others have said we are not shipping goals, we have lost a couple of goals but we are not losing many. On Saturday it wouldn't be stretching it too much to say Ryan Bowman could have scored a hat trick and Main's missed headed at St Mirren was really bad. The real problem as I see it is our two front men are not doing it.

We aren't conceding lots of goals but once are we are one nil down the game is over.

The 3-5-2 stifles our attack so if it doesn't deliver clean sheets there is zero point in it.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, Ya Bezzer! said:

' if we had conceded in that match we wouldn't have won it ' utterly ridiculous statement, if we hadn't scored two against st mirren we wouldn't have won. if we hadn't conceded four away to hearts we would have won.

Anything to find a flaw in a victory.

• Like 1