2018’19 Game 11: Dundee (H) Saturday 3rd November 2018

Andy_P

A really enjoyable few days and you could see the teams confidence growing from Wednesday night. 

Two wins is something but to put in two good performances is what really gives me confidence for the rest of the season. We do however need more from our strikers if we're to get comfortable in the league.

My biggest fear is that Robinson reverts back to previous tactics against the 'better' teams in the league - by that I mean every single team above us. All will be revealed on Sunday. 

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Turnbulls most impressive attribute today was his first touch and control. Every first touch was immaculate which allowed him to dictate much of the play , if only we had another 3 or 4 with such an assured first touch

The MFC TV commentators were joking that even though we have an actual Spaniard in the squad, as far as footballing attributes are concerned, Turnbull is the most Spanish player at Fir Park.

3 hours ago, CoF said:

A really enjoyable few days and you could see the teams confidence growing from Wednesday night. 

Two wins is something but to put in two good performances is what really gives me confidence for the rest of the season. We do however need more from our strikers if we're to get comfortable in the league.

My biggest fear is that Robinson reverts back to previous tactics against the 'better' teams in the league - by that I mean every single team above us. All will be revealed on Sunday. 

We are on a roll now, next  Sunday will see us end the long winless run against Rangers in the League, bring it on. 

What a hit for the goal!

The emergence of Turnball has quite possibly saved Robinson’s job.

You wonder who else is ready to step up and could’ve saved us pissing away wages on Donnelly, Taylor-Sinclair, Gorrin and Sammon to name but 4 who have contributed absolutely zero! Literally thousands of ££££ per week for guys to not even fill the bench, but the stands or the treatment table!

The lack of quality up front is killing us. We knew last season Main and Bowman was never going to be good enough to lead the line and 2 league goal between them doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know.

A good performance I thought, though a bit nervy at the end.

Glad Robbo's finally moved away from the 352, and I hope it carries on, though we've still got square pegs in round holes in places - have to say though the midfield has absolutely worked.

Turnbull has been a breath of fresh air since coming in. His composure for a 19 year old is incredible. And great to see cadds rediscovering himself. As another poster mentioned we need more out our strikers - I was at the game yesterday with a neutral fan, who asked who our top scorer is............. Johnson? Doesn't say on website but in the league I have him and now Turnbull on 2!

All in all a great few days, 2 clean sheets, 6 points..... and away at ibrox up next

1 hour ago, milo said:

What a hit for the goal!

The emergence of Turnball has quite possibly saved Robinson’s job.

You wonder who else is ready to step up and could’ve saved us pissing away wages on Donnelly, Taylor-Sinclair, Gorrin and Sammon to name but 4 who have contributed absolutely zero! Literally thousands of ££££ per week for guys to not even fill the bench, but the stands or the treatment table!

The lack of quality up front is killing us. We knew last season Main and Bowman was never going to be good enough to lead the line and 2 league goal between them doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know.

I actually think Gorrin has a bit of quality about him and given time would do well. Main was good enough in my view but for some reason has just gone backwards.

13 hours ago, CoF said:

That should not be a fear at all. We have shown we can play football and I suspect if we continue to do that v teams in bottom 6 we will win more than we lose. But v Celtic and the likes we do need to change tactics. Levein openly admitted he wanted his team to play expansive football v Celtic. They lost 5-0 ! 

The sign of a good Manager is changing tactics to let us compete with better sides. The point I do take is we now know we can play some decent football so let’s not go back to hoof ball v Hamilton, Dundee etc

I was pleased with yesterday with exception of Main and Bowman.  Difficult to fault their effort, but they need a dozen chances for one goal. Bowman had 3 guilt edge chances and took none of them. The header from 6 yards the worst of the lot.  It is for this reason we have struggled to take points and even last 2 games without Turnbull we could have got 2 points instead of 6. 

2 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I was pleased with yesterday with exception of Main and Bowman.  Difficult to fault their effort, but they need a dozen chances for one goal. Bowman had 3 guilt edge chances and took none of them. The header from 6 yards the worst of the lot.  It is for this reason we have struggled to take points and even last 2 games without Turnbull we could have got 2 points instead of 6. 

The fact Bowman is paid money to be a footballer is shocking. His first touch is amateur level of pish and he appears to lack the ability of striking a ball with any real power. Whilst you can’t fault his effort, he is simply nowhere close to good enough for the top league. 

• Like 1

If the manager believes as I do that Dunne is the best alternative to play on the lrft side of a back 4 what are his alternatives?

Leave Tait out

Move Tait to his more natural poition on the right and leave Cadden out

Move Tait and employ Cadden further forward where many think he is more effective Then someone needs to be left out . But who?

Certainly not Turnbull. No matter what many think of him McHugh is probably the best option to play in front of a back 4.

That leaves Bigi or Grimshaw? Harsh on their recent performances

All the previous posters who mention the fact we have nothing up front are 100% right, that will be one thing that will keep us down where we are. We cannot rely on getting our goals from midfielders or defenders. Yes we will get some as young David Turnbull has proved, but not enough to win us every game. Curtis Main and Ryan Bowman work hard, but they don't have the composure or belief to score goals at present. 

It's also my understanding that David Turnbulls' contract is up next May, so the priority at present should be to get him tied up for the next three or four years.

17 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

It's also my understanding that David Turnbulls' contract is up next May, so the priority at present should be to get him tied up for the next three or four years.

We should absolutely get him tied down, but would need to prove a bit more to warrant four years. Remember, we offered Ross Forbes a four year deal after a promising start!

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

Just shows you how far down the list of priorities youth development has been under Robinson.

Hopefully the past week will open some eyes at Motherwell. 

Big changes are needed and if Robinson doesn't implement them, two wins against dross are only going to be a postponement to his problems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

Your understanding is correct his contract is up in the summer along with that of Barry Maguire not sure about Adam Livingston

As I have said on numerous occasions on various threads have watched young Turnbull over last couple of years  ( ok got to take into account quality of opposition) but watching this boy there is something about him. He should have been getting game time at the start of the season against the likes of Edinburgh City, Clyde, Stranraer as should Barry Maguire 

Very similar to young Campbell last year it has taken us till we have just about hit rock bottom before these boys are given a chance.

We should be getting his contract extended as a matter of priority along with that of Barry Maguire ( here’s another snippet for you this boy has also got what it takes to kick on in this game if only we give him a CHANCE )

This is where man management comes into play with these boys knowing when to put them in and take them out as there is going to be a period with every young player whe the go off the boil.

Think this is the case with young  Campbell sine he came into the team last year the boy has hardly had a break from 1st team went away with Scotland in the summer played in all their gams and has also played during the international breaks this season …… to much football !!!!

The break he is having at the moment in my mind will do him good  and hopefully like yesterday manager manages minutes on the park between Campbell and Turnbull as I have every hope that they will be our midfield for quite a few years to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

That should not be a fear at all. We have shown we can play football and I suspect if we continue to do that v teams in bottom 6 we will win more than we lose. But v Celtic and the likes we do need to change tactics. Levein openly admitted he wanted his team to play expansive football v Celtic. They lost 5-0 ! 

The sign of a good Manager is changing tactics to let us compete with better sides. The point I do take is we now know we can play some decent football so let’s not go back to hoof ball v Hamilton, Dundee etc

I wish I shared you optimism.

I agree fully about needing to changing the plan vs the top teams, however Robinson has persevered with ineffective formations and tactics for months at a time against teams around us. He's self-assured and stubborn so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he only changed things around to play the bottom two and will now revert to his core game plan - big useless punts up the park. 

That said, he's a young, smart manager who is still learning the game so there is every chance he'll have changed his thinking in the last week. 

5 hours ago, valegro said:

If the manager believes as I do that Dunne is the best alternative to play on the lrft side of a back 4 what are his alternatives?

Leave Tait out

Move Tait to his more natural poition on the right and leave Cadden out

Move Tait and employ Cadden further forward where many think he is more effective Then someone needs to be left out . But who?

Certainly not Turnbull. No matter what many think of him McHugh is probably the best option to play in front of a back 4.

That leaves Bigi or Grimshaw? Harsh on their recent performances

For me it's Grimshaw. 

Dunne in at left back, Tait to right back, Cadden playing right of the midfield diamond in place of Grimshaw.  Cadden has played really well from right back the past two games but doing the above I think gets the 3 of them into very effective roles.

He needs to stick with the back four for a while to see if we stop shipping so many goals.
Grimshaw is the obvious man to drop out. He has put in two good, energetic performances but there is no end product from him.
Stop shipping so many goals??

The issue has been more that we don't score more.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

He needs to stick with the back four for a while to see if we stop shipping so many goals.

Grimshaw is the obvious man to drop out. He has put in two good, energetic performances but there is no end product from him.

We’ve only shipped two goals in the last four games.

Small thing but really annoyed watching sportscene today. 

A young 19 yr old Scottish midfield talent scores two goals from outside the box in 4 days and also controls the play of the game and barely merits a mention. 

However you are guaranteed if that had been a player from Rangers or Celtic then they would have had their own 20min segment. Spent longer talking about Callum McGregor moving to a different position in midfield that talking up a cracking goal from a talented young player.