January and Beyond

Kmac

Whilst its two months until the window opens in January,  does anyone have an overview on contracts/ loan period expiration’s in the squad? 

I’d imagine that the past couple of games have re-affirmed (if it was in any way needed) just how poor our summer recruitment was.  There’s plenty of dead wood in the squad which needs to be cutaway hopefully allowing budget to be freed up for a couple of additions, particularly upfront where we are sorely lacking in quality and on the left side of midfield.

We need to build a squad capable of competing with the stronger teams in the league and we’ll need players of a better caliber of those currently on the bench (or not even earning a place on it) to do so.

Are Aldred and Sammon’s loans for the whole season?

As for the younger players, we seem to have a habit of giving them one year deals until they break into the team, then we give them a 2-year extension.

We also have to factor in the possibility of Carson or Cadden going in January.

5 hours ago, superward said:

Plenty of scope shall we say...out of contract at end of season (going by Transfermarkt):

Aldred, Mbulu, Taylor-Sinclair, McHugh, MaGuire, Livingston

Bigi, Grimshaw, Rose, Gorrin, Cadden, Frear, Turnbull

Bowman, Main, Sammon, Newell (I think)

From that list I would keep if possible Aldred, Mbulu, Macguire, Livingston, McHugh, Cadden, Turnbull and possibly Grimmy based on last 2 games. The rest bybye......

Would Be beneficial to cut Sammons loan and bring in a striker of quality, on the basis of saving wages by having a smaller squad come the summer. I’d also like to see Bigi offered a new deal on top of those mentioned by welldaft. I would however consider a deal for McHugh, I still can’t quite figure out what his best position is, he isn’t a midfielder and isn’t as good at centre half as Hartley or Aldred. 

‘Would see no deals being offered to Taylor-Sinclair, Rose, Gorrin, Frear, Newell, Bowman and Main. 

Some relatively big wages I’d imagine there. 

22 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Would Be beneficial to cut Sammons loan and bring in a striker of quality, on the basis of saving wages by having a smaller squad come the summer. I’d also like to see Bigi offered a new deal on top of those mentioned by welldaft. I would however consider a deal for McHugh, I still can’t quite figure out what his best position is, he isn’t a midfielder and isn’t as good at centre half as Hartley or Aldred. 

‘Would see no deals being offered to Taylor-Sinclair, Rose, Gorrin, Frear, Newell, Bowman and Main. 

Some relatively big wages I’d imagine there. 

Still not sure about Bigi, fine against weaker teams but he just goes missing against the better ones. I would also guess he’s on a very good wage that in my view could be better spent.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Still not sure about Bigi, fine against weaker teams but he just goes missing against the better ones. I would also guess he’s on a very good wage that in my view could be better spent.

Bigirimana is a tricky one. If you say he's fine against the weaker teams, how do you explain his performance against Rangers?  Is he actually better against the better teams who are less concerned with pressing us and play their own game more? 

Tied in with this is any discussion of a new contract for McHugh. He gets a lot of criticism but the number of headers he wins in midfield is important. Our defenders themselves have mentioned the protection they feel he offers. Does he track runners, something that Bigirimana has been seen as neglecting this season? 

Centre midfield is an area where, if you're looking to trim the budget, there are a lot of bodies so in theory we could make savings. 

At the minute, I'd be looking at McHugh, Campbell, Bigirimana and Turnbull as the midfielders that I'd definitely be looking to keep. Harsh on Grimshaw who when he gets a run of games can make a contribution and Rose who is a steady player who rarely has a poor game? Possibly. And could McHugh be replaced by Maguire if the management see him as a defensive midfielder long term? Or Donnelly who plays there for Northern Ireland U21s? Gorrin? Where he fits in, who knows? Having seen him a couple of times, he looks decent but do we need him? 

We need to look at a squad where we have so many centre midfielders and only one winger and strikers that don't seem good enough. Problem is pretty much every player we have has either been signed by Robinson or has had their contract extended by him. Will he be ruthless enough to get rid of 'his' players? After all, they're a super bunch of boys...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Robinson might not offer him a deal as Turnbull likes to play football and pass the ball on the deck!!!  Doesn't have the ability of Hartley to just lump it up the park.    ba boom

Aye, that's why he keeps talking about what a great player he is.

Our recent track record is to extend the contracts of the youngsters around the middle of the season and I expect we'll be doing that with Turnbull soon. 

Carson recently signed a new deal. I think it was along the lines of “increased wages for now, with an extra year so that we get a fee when someone bigger comes in for you”. Keeps everyone happy and, worst case scenario, Trev gets the money his performances, certainly last season, deserve and we get a very decent keeper for another season or two.

I’d still expect Carson to move on. Maybe in January, though more likely in the summer.

1 hour ago, The African said:

Carson recently signed a new deal. I think it was along the lines of “increased wages for now, with an extra year so that we get a fee when someone bigger comes in for you”. Keeps everyone happy and, worst case scenario, Trev gets the money his performances, certainly last season, deserve and we get a very decent keeper for another season or two.

I’d still expect Carson to move on. Maybe in January, though more likely in the summer.

Carson hasn’t signed a new contract, has he? He signed a 3 year deal when he joined in Summer 2017 i.e. till 2020.

4 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Carson hasn’t signed a new contract, has he? He signed a 3 year deal when he joined in Summer 2017 i.e. till 2020.

Don’t ask me where I saw it, but I can remember recently seeing that he had signed an improved deal. Now it might not be any longer, just more money to keep him happy after the “big move” didn’t happen for him, or I might just have forgotten to take my meds.

In the modern game, being comfortable with the ball at your feet, and good distribution are just as important for keepers as the actual goalkeeping part. Carson certainly has those attributes.

Given that nobody ever came in for Randolph at his Motherwell peak, however, I have no idea if Carson will get his move. The goalkeeping market seems pretty weird these days - especially down south.

I think our strikers are a wee bit hard done by.  We are not exactly overwhelming them with chances. Most of the balls they get are 50/50 at best.  Yws, they have had some chances but I wonder What the success rate is for top class strikers? What is the ratio of goals to chances for a top class striker?