Away fans in the POD

DEWELL

I understand to save costs we don't open the South stand if there's only a few hundred away fans but what I don't get is why are they put in the left side of the POD. surely it would make sense to put them in the right hand side. Just about every game at the Ark we're shooting towards the Davie Cooper with Well fans in there and the main stand with the away fans sandwiched in between. Maybe there's a logistical reason I'm not aware of but it just seems daft and annoying as Well fans like myself sit in that area and have to move.

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

The other side would seem the most logical location for the away fans, although, maybe there is a good reason as to why they don’t.

Bigger pie stand and toilets at the Davie Cooper end of the Main Stand. So, better able to deal with a few hundred extra people. Probably the reason.

Folk sit the south stand end too so some folk will always have to move. 

It's because they would be sitting right above the wheelchair section and in the past (albeit when we've been playing  Rangers and Celtic) we've had to put up with people banging on the roof of the shelter, having stuff thrown on top of us and the verbal abuse that seems to be the norm.

I would like to think that it wouldn't be a problem when we play other teams but who knows.

Agreed with that - also seem to remember Flow talking a few years back about trying to encourage away fans to spend their money at Fir Park and not moving them from the South Stand was going to be part and parcel of that.  

That said, the Dundee fans on Pie and Bovril seem to have preferred it.

I think looking at the pricing for away fans would be a start.

Many of us pick and choose our away games, and pricing is a big factor in that for me, and certainly for families. Make Motherwell away a game that Dundee, Killie, Hibs fans etc. mark in their diary.

edit:

actually family price of £28 for adult and 2 kids or £3 for kids is good.

Adult price of £24 still a bit steep.

Do we publicise the cheap family tickets?

Edited by sbcmfc
Fact checking

19 hours ago, Brazilian said:

Wrong quote (can't edit it)

20 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

I think it's been previously posted ........its  got something to do with the hospitality access to the Centenary suite as well.......could be wrong

Yup. Centenary access, disabled area, less food drink and toilet facilities on that side of the stand. So, if they are in the main stand it makes complete sense they are in the cooper side. 

• 6 months later...

My mate who has a season ticket in the POD Stand was sent this earlier today:

1f91e27b-a722-4818-add4-44201255ae1a.jpg

Dear Graeme ,

I write to you today to notify you of a policy change within the Phil O’Donnell Stand, where your season ticket is located.

You will have noticed a significant increase in the number of visiting supporters housed in the north section of the stand during the 2018/2019 season.

We often segregate the Phil O’Donnell Stand in this way for logistical reasons and to aid the maintenance team in terms of cleaning and repairs after the match. It also modestly reduces the requirement for gate checkers and safety stewards.

However, we are aware that this decision by the club often raises more problems than it produces benefits.

In light of that, I recently asked the club’s safety and facilities manager to complete an updated risk assessment, specifically on that section of the ground. I also sought feedback from supporters via the Well Society board.

It is clear that any additional upside to having visiting supporters in the Phil O’Donnell Stand, either logistically or financially, is outweighed by the increased safety and security concerns it could and sometimes does cause.

In particular, the assessment highlighted potential issues around entry and egress to the stand itself, access to the food kiosk and the use of the toilet facilities, all of which we are unable to properly segregate.

In addition and in reference to those particular concerns, it is also evident from the feedback received from supporters that the housing of travelling fans within the Phil O’Donnell Stand spoils the overall matchday experience for a lot of fans that attend Fir Park to watch Motherwell at home matches every other week.

As a result, and from the beginning of the 2019/20 season, all travelling supporters - regardless of the opposition, the anticipated visiting numbers or the category of the match - will be housed only in the South Stand behind the goal.

Yours sincerely,

4c20ae18-44ad-45d6-af74-6afe02e5bc3f.jpg
Alan Burrows
Chief Executive
Motherwell Football Club

Well done  Alan Burrows and Motherwell FC. 

Not before time , finally we won’t have to put up with away fans (especially the Old Firm) spoiling the match day experience for many fans in the POD. 

Well fans will now be able to use the toilet and kiosk facilities without fear of being verbally or physically abused (albeit rare, the threat was certainly there)

I for one have considered not attending these fixtures in the past with my kids for this reason.

Whilst the club will inevitably loose money as a result of this decision, I feel that this was the right choice to make if we want to encourage more of our own fans to attend and support the team, some of whom would have been ‘put off’ as a result of the club’s previous policy.

• Like 3

On 11/5/2018 at 1:00 PM, Lukemfc1 said:

Totally kills the atmosphere stone dead as well tbh. Regardless of numbers we should be housing them in the lower section of the south stand. I get there may be financial reasons but having a huge away stand sitting there doing nothing is pretty mad. It also looks bogging on the tele.

Lets be honest, there isn't much of an atmosphere in that corner to kill is there? Ideally we would house in the south stand lower but I reckon, as you say, is down to the financial aspect of it, the additional cost that comes with opening the stand, stewarding, policing, catering staff would all be significantly more than it is housing them in the main stand.

1 hour ago, garryh2205 said:

Well done  Alan Burrows and Motherwell FC. 

Not before time , finally we won’t have to put up with away fans (especially the Old Firm) spoiling the match day experience for many fans in the POD. 

Well fans will now be able to use the toilet and kiosk facilities without fear of being verbally or physically abused (albeit rare, the threat was certainly there)

Yes, an excellent move by the club and long overdue. We sit at the southern end of the POD Stand and have had to suffer in the past and I really feel for those at the northern end. Hopefully it'll encourage a few more Well fans to attend these games. 

4 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

My mate who has a season ticket in the POD Stand was sent this earlier today:

1f91e27b-a722-4818-add4-44201255ae1a.jpg

Dear Graeme ,

I write to you today to notify you of a policy change within the Phil O’Donnell Stand, where your season ticket is located.

You will have noticed a significant increase in the number of visiting supporters housed in the north section of the stand during the 2018/2019 season.

We often segregate the Phil O’Donnell Stand in this way for logistical reasons and to aid the maintenance team in terms of cleaning and repairs after the match. It also modestly reduces the requirement for gate checkers and safety stewards.

However, we are aware that this decision by the club often raises more problems than it produces benefits.

In light of that, I recently asked the club’s safety and facilities manager to complete an updated risk assessment, specifically on that section of the ground. I also sought feedback from supporters via the Well Society board.

It is clear that any additional upside to having visiting supporters in the Phil O’Donnell Stand, either logistically or financially, is outweighed by the increased safety and security concerns it could and sometimes does cause.

In particular, the assessment highlighted potential issues around entry and egress to the stand itself, access to the food kiosk and the use of the toilet facilities, all of which we are unable to properly segregate.

In addition and in reference to those particular concerns, it is also evident from the feedback received from supporters that the housing of travelling fans within the Phil O’Donnell Stand spoils the overall matchday experience for a lot of fans that attend Fir Park to watch Motherwell at home matches every other week.

As a result, and from the beginning of the 2019/20 season, all travelling supporters - regardless of the opposition, the anticipated visiting numbers or the category of the match - will be housed only in the South Stand behind the goal.

Yours sincerely,

4c20ae18-44ad-45d6-af74-6afe02e5bc3f.jpg
Alan Burrows
Chief Executive
Motherwell Football Club

My only thought on seeing that - is surely they could have used a better photo to promote this news. I mean how is that going to entice new fans into Fir Park. In fact I think they should have used models so as not to scare away the future Motherwell supporters :-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Makes you think where we’ll recoup the monies generated previously.

Good point........I'm 1000 % agreement with the decision and can sympathise with POD/main stand season ticket holders

But with our current capacity at 13677 and the south stand holding 4856 ........leaving 8821 seats ........when was the last time we had any where near that number at home ??????

I get the arguments on both sides (cash V supporter enjoyment) and from an unashamedly selfish point of view I'm behind the club in its decision. However those who advocate housing some OF fans in one of our 3 "home" stands usually suggest doing so in a stand where they don't sit.  The club will take a modest financial hit  but seems to be doing so for our own supporters.  Hopefully a few more of our own lot will be encouraged to turn up at these games. 

9 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I get not housing Rangers and Celtic fans there.

Is it an issue with Livi, ICT etc. ?

I wouldn't have thought there would be any issues with those sides either.

Glad that Rangers and Celtic fans wont be back in though as it will waste the atmosphere for the people in there.   Hopefully will encourage a few more of our fans to turn up.

• Like 2