2018’19 Game 12: Rangers (A) Sunday 11th November 2018

Andy_P

Perhaps the Craig Thomson chat has taken over a bit what is the match thread. But most posts state he's not the reason for losing 7-1. I think everyone agrees a 7-1 loss lies with the players and tactics. However to not discuss the referees part in the first half at a key point in the game though is cherry picking what you want to discuss. Unless you fully agree with both yellows and the penalty....which is fair enough if that's your opinion. 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:00 AM, wellowell said:

So we have played 70 league and cup games since start of last season and Thompson reffed 7 and sent off 6 . That leaves 63 games with other refs and 3 sent off . You don’t need to be Einstein to see something far wrong there .

Yeah, something is wrong when the same player is sent off three times for two yellow cards.  And given that McHugh has got off with at least one further red card this season then maybe you need to start looking at the player rather than the referee.

As for Thomson, the Kipre league match was nonsense and so was the Dunne one at St. Johnstone.  Both were rescinded.

The rest of them were either red cards or not clean cut.  I maintain, for instance, that Carson handed outside his box while others here will say he didn't.  There are neutrals who will maintain the league cup final was a penalty, when I think it wasn't.  That's the nature of the game.

What we need to do is control what we can control.  We can't control the referee, the weather, the pitches, the number of matches played in a certain period or the fixture list.  We can control what our players do in a match.  Let's concentrate on that because right now we are making mistake, after mistake, after mistake.  It's unprofessional and unless it is addressed there is only one outcome.

Totally agree with the second paragraph. But I do think to ignore the referee impact is wrong as it did change things. 

For me, though, Robinson has just about run his race. I wouldn't be calling for his head now. But, in my opinion, with the accumulation of less than great summer signings, poor league performance, stubbornness with the system/under performing players and the upcoming run of games....come end of the year he could be offski. 

A few players consistently making errors and bad decisions should also be given a long rest. 

For me, it's too often with Thompson, every f**king time in fact.... while we can't control the refs behaviour on the park, as a minimum i feel the club should be making some noise and sticking the boot in here. Put the pressure on to not to let him ref a motherwell game again.

Absolutely no excuse for the result in this instance though.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Yeah, something is wrong when the same player is sent off three times for two yellow cards.  And given that McHugh has got off with at least one further red card this season then maybe you need to start looking at the player rather than the referee.

As for Thomson, the Kipre league match was nonsense and so was the Dunne one at St. Johnstone.  Both were rescinded.

The rest of them were either red cards or not clean cut.  I maintain, for instance, that Carson handed outside his box while others here will say he didn't.  There are neutrals who will maintain the league cup final was a penalty, when I think it wasn't.  That's the nature of the game.

What we need to do is control what we can control.  We can't control the referee, the weather, the pitches, the number of matches played in a certain period or the fixture list.  We can control what our players do in a match.  Let's concentrate on that because right now we are making mistake, after mistake, after mistake.  It's unprofessional and unless it is addressed there is only one outcome.

Exactly, and if we do that we will be fine regardless of who the ref is.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Exactly, and if we do that we will be fine regardless of who the ref is.

So by that theory the ref has no bearing on the match it's all down to the players..... bullshit, at 25 mins in it was 1-1 and game on, then in steps Thompson , awards a pen that never was, issues a 2nd yellow card that never was, and suddenly we are 2-1 and a man down.

So given his previous in Motherwell matches it's about time the club grew a set and complained to the SFA about him. Do you think for a minute if it had been 6 players sent off from either of the ugly sisters there would be no official complaints etc, not a chance, but we just let it go.

41 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Do you think for a minute if it had been 6 players sent off from either of the ugly sisters there would be no official complaints etc, not a chance

Swiftly followed by a thread on here ridiculing their victim mentality, no doubt.

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

So by that theory the ref has no bearing on the match it's all down to the players..... bullshit, at 25 mins in it was 1-1 and game on, then in steps Thompson , awards a pen that never was, issues a 2nd yellow card that never was, and suddenly we are 2-1 and a man down.

So given his previous in Motherwell matches it's about time the club grew a set and complained to the SFA about him. Do you think for a minute if it had been 6 players sent off from either of the ugly sisters there would be no official complaints etc, not a chance, but we just let it go.

I just leave the conspiracy theories to the old firm, they tend to be obsessed with the world being against them and a percentage of what comes out from their club and fans is embarrassing and at times laughable if you listen to super scoreboard for an hour or so. Do I think they get the majority of decisions, without a doubt yes. Does it happen in favour of other big clubs around the world, yep. Don’t see that ever changing, human nature, they were saying the same thing right back to the 1970’s and the number of pens Liverpool got in front of the cop.  As always my opinion is if we show enough quality the results will deal with themselves. We lost on Saturday because we were sh*te.

There doesn't need to be any chat about conspiracy here.

The facts are:

The ref made incorrect decisions  at a key  time which resulted in us losing a player and going  to ten men. This impacted the match.

We were on top of that shite tactically and also at a player level. This impacted the match.

Both things happened. To ignore either one is skewing the story for your own argument.

6 minutes ago, superward said:

There doesn't need to be any chat about conspiracy here.

The facts are:

The ref made incorrect decisions  at a key  time which resulted in us losing a player and going  to ten men. This impacted the match.

We were on top of that shite tactically and also at a player level. This impacted the match.

Both things happened. To ignore either one is skewing the story for your own argument.

And that I would agree with on the whole, mistakes on all sides. 

Proof for me tonight that Thomson has it in for us.  Manaj of Albania booked after 15 minutes.  On half time he blocks a free kick with his arm.  Penalty for Scotland and no second booking for Manaj. I will be watching every game now where a player blocks with his arm and a foul or penalty is given to see if they are booked. For players and fans we must have consistency . Thomson did not need to book McHugh. 

• Like 1

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to 2018’19 Game 12: Rangers (A) Sunday 11th November 2018
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll never quite understand what purpose it serves to heap  further unnecessary angst on ourselves because another team happened to achieve a different result in circumstances that weren't exactly identical to those we experienced. Yeah Dundee had 10 men but they were winning and were at home, two not insignificant and different factors to our own experience against Rangers. 

And if we go down that road we should surely be hailing our team for earning a draw against Celtic when the mighty Killie suffered a 5-1 pumping no?  I won't hold my breath.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, scoojy said:

Because, no matter how you look at it, Dundee were winning when they went down to 10 men.

Maybe I should have said that it’s a bit of a stretch to say that Dundee being in the lead when they went down to 10 men was significant as the lead lasted less than a second after play restarted? Apologies if you were confused.

13 hours ago, Andy_P said:

And if we go down that road we should surely be hailing our team for earning a draw against Celtic when the mighty Killie suffered a 5-1 pumping no?  I won't hold my breath.

We should, but that doesn't fit the agenda of those who are having a moan.

34 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

Maybe I should have said that it’s a bit of a stretch to say that Dundee being in the lead when they went down to 10 men was significant as the lead lasted less than a second after play restarted? Apologies if you were confused.

In that case, it’s a bit of stretch to say we were drawing when we went down to 10 against Rangers.

Once again, as per AndyP’s original point, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. Just those with an certain viewpoint using whatever negative spin they can find to reinforce it.

• Like 1

I agree but I don’t think anybody mentioned anything about us drawing when we went down to 10.  Also on the comparing apples and oranges part, nobody’s actually compared anything apart from AndyP. The point made by siebsbarmyarmy was that after watching Rangers again he can’t fathom how we lost 7-1 as they are utterly shite. I agree with him.