2018’19 Game 12: Rangers (A) Sunday 11th November 2018

Andy_P

On 11/8/2018 at 8:36 AM, DEWELL said:

Quite happy with the 11th commemerations that'll go on. 

Well, yes and no.

Certainly no problem with clubs marking the anniversary with a suitable and respectful display. Also no problem with respect and appreciation being shown for our armed forces, though would perhaps something around armed forces day would be more appropriate if they are going to be doing the jumping off the stand on ropes sort of stuff.

My issue with what will go on this Sunday at Ibrox is that, sadly, it will have precious little to do with remembrance and respect. It will be a crass and overblown display attempting to get a reaction.

• Like 6

It'll be interesting to see whether Robinson reverts back to the old system. I'm actually hopeful he will show a bit of faith and stick with what we have been doing recently i.e including our best ball players Turnbull and Bigi. As much as formations aren't everything and have been talked about to death amongst the support the diamond thing has made a clear difference. The directive from the manager and players has been to play down it's influence in results but it has changed our playing style significantly. The real test of it will how things look against the better teams in the league like Sunday. I'd stick with a similar team on Sunday but I would include Johnson for Main/Bowman (probably Main) take your pick. As much as he hasn't been amazing, Johnson looks like the only one of our strikers with that killer instinct and could get us a goal from the limited chances we will have.

Carson

Cadden Aldred Hartley Tait

McHugh

Grimshaw                   Bigi

Turnbull

Johnson Bowman

I did wonder about Dunne's fitness? I'm not sure if he is in a position to come back. From what I remember he wasn't as good at left back as centre back but I think that was when he was still finding his feet at the club. If fit it wouldn't surprise me with Robbo decides to back to the three at the back but certaintly another option.

Their defence is dodgey at best so you never know if someone gets firing we could get something from the game.

1 hour ago, Lukemfc1 said:

... the diamond thing has made a clear difference.

Remember when the 3-5-2 was first a thing, and everyone thought it was the cat's pyjamas? I suspect the real trick is to have more than one system that we're comfortable with, coupled with the nous to select the right one for the right occasion, and change it mid-stream if needed.

• Like 2

Rangers are 31-6 up this season at Ibrox with no defeats and that's including European matches against clubs that would pump us no problem.

I'm going but I'm steeling myself.

Rangers usually go 4-1-4-1 at home so I'd be surprised if we don't have 5 in midfield.  Might be an idea to simply match Rangers formation rather than go with a more traditional 4-4-2.

54 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Rangers usually go 4-1-4-1 at home so I'd be surprised if we don't have 5 in midfield.  Might be an idea to simply match Rangers formation rather than go with a more traditional 4-4-2.

Aye. Weirdly, I don't think either of 'our' formations are particularly suitable against that at the moment. the 3-5-2 and the diamond 4-4-2 potentially leaves Cadden or Tait exposed 2 on 1. Wonder if we'll perhaps go with a five, Frear left and Grimshaw right to offer a bit of protection?

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to 2018’19 Game 12: Rangers (A) Sunday 11th November 2018