2018’19 Game 13: Aberdeen (H) Saturday 24th November 2018

Yabba's Turd

11 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Sorry just like to respond to people who dont even get involved in the actual thread but cant wait to come on and snipe at other peoples comments, so felt it was right to call him for what he was.

Honestly i’m still buzzing from the result and afternoon, made my weekend.

Great win today. 

Not much more to say the folk haven't covered. A few things imo:

-Mbulu looked great. Very very positive.

-Gillespie assured coming for crosses and some great saves. 

-Grimshaw set the tempo for me from the off. Snuffed out Lowe pretty much. 

-Turnbull had a quiet game but the finish for his goal was lovely. Plenty would not get that shot away as cleanly.

-Johnson has that goalscorer instinct and his perseverance and finish for the first was a joy.

All in, a great day at the office in all positions.

Like the League Cup game at FP we pressed the MMs and really  took advantage of their mistakes.

I was impressed with Mbulu: he looked physically strong and confident. Gillespie and Grimshaw were both excellent too.

Great fun seeing and Lewis and McGinn having an extended  exchange of views after Turnbull's goal but Johnson's finishing won the game for us.

Probably not much traffic on here in the next 24 'cos we won easily.

Looks like we now have 3 players who can actually settle on the ball and play football. Bigi,  Turnbull and now Mbulu.  Thought it was scary how easy we won that.  I just hope we can continue to improve and actually play some real football throughout the rest of the season. 6 pointer coming up against Livingstone next week so hoping we can grab another 3 points to move within 1 game of them and give us a chance at improving on 9th place. 

That was unexpected but we looked up for it from the first minute and took more control with every goal. Two great finishes from Johnson,hopefully he can push on from these goals in the run up to the break. Main, Hartley and Campbell all rediscovered a bit of form, Mbulu was comfortable and Grimshaw was superb. In midfield Bigi battled for everything and Turnbull again showed the value of midfielders who can shoot again. I would have liked to have seen Livingstone but we have more reasons to bin Sammon so it wasn't a total loss.

A win next Saturday puts us two points behind Livi and potentially Hibs. Hopefully it's another good performance at least then we can give Celtic and Rodgers what they are due under the floodlights.

Thought that was a great performance today. Not a failure in the whole team. It seemed to me that they were out to show that the Rangers performance was a wake up call. They were a little shaky to start with, but quickly settled into things, they also played some nice football at times. Watched the manager giving advice so hats of to him too for the changes he made today. 

On a different track, can't believe the way these teams get away with pulling and wrapping arms round our players, yet we get pulled up as fouls on numerous occasions because the opposition are more worldly aware and fall down thereby giving the referees an easy decision. Think we should wise up.

17 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Thought that was a great performance today. Not a failure in the whole team. It seemed to me that they were out to show that the Rangers performance was a wake up call. They were a little shaky to start with, but quickly settled into things, they also played some nice football at times. Watched the manager giving advice so hats of to him too for the changes he made today. 

On a different track, can't believe the way these teams get away with pulling and wrapping arms round our players, yet we get pulled up as fouls on numerous occasions because the opposition are more worldly aware and fall down thereby giving the referees an easy decision. Think we should wise up.

They did get away with a lot for sure, Main however is a master of the dark arts.

9 hours ago, daver said:

He tried to pull back the Aberdeen player (Mackay Stevens?) who was on a run. A bit surprising as the game was littered with wee pulls.

If that is the case then Considine, McKenna and Shinnie could all have been red carded several times over. Referee today was horrendously poor. He looked way out of his depth.

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

What happened near the end in the South Stand/East Stand Corner?  There seemed to be a melee with a punch or punches thrown  and the East Stand punters going apoplectic.  Oddly, or perhaps not given his overall performance, the referee took no action.   

It was a stramash and Beaton took a while to give the free kick despite an Aberdeen player holding Campbell down.

No punches. Maybe a trip to Specsavers is in order.

Grimshaw is a strange one, today he was superb and has been great the last few game (apart from rangers) I think today made me realise how valuable a player like him is to a team like us as he can play in so many position mostly defensive. I thought he would go at end of season but now I think he is a first team regular and if he continues he deserves a new deal. I felt the same in build up to cup final last year but he fell away at start of season. I think I may have written him off to soon.

Performance of the season by an absolute mile. Hopefully Robinson realises it's okay to mix it up now and then. We played some really nice football and looked confident passing it about. Night and day from last months performances. 

Turnbull was absolutely outstanding despite it actually being one of his quieter games. 

Grimshaw looks like a guy who just loves playing football. 

Mbulu slotted right in . 

Harsh on Bowman, but Johnson and Main will hopefully form a steady partnership. Johnson is definitely the more natural finisher out of the three of them and has a classiness about him the other to lack. 

Gorrin looks like an interesting player when he came on. Calm, composed and a few very clever passes. 

Where does McHugh fit in after today?

8 minutes ago, CoF said:

Performance of the season by an absolute mile. Hopefully Robinson realises it's okay to mix it up now and then. We played some really nice football and looked confident passing it about. Night and day from last months performances. 

Turnbull was absolutely outstanding despite it actually being one of his quieter games. 

Mbulu slotted right in . 

Harsh on Bowman, but Johnson and Main will hopefully form a steady partnership. Johnson is definitely the more natural finisher out of the three of them and has a classiness about him the other to lack. 

Gorrin looks like an interesting player when he came on. Calm, composed and a few very clever passes. 

At the moment it’s difficult to see a place for him, I actually don’t like him in midfield full stop, he’s a half decent centre half though alongside the right individual. I’ve gone on quite a bit about Gorrin having something about him and still think we should not be giving up on him simply because he can be a bloody good passer of a ball and as you say he’s also pretty composed. He may not have a future with us but he’s certainly not a complete dud.

18 minutes ago, CoF said:

Mbulu slotted right in . 

I would have dropped Main before bowman but whatever works is fine by me. 

37 minutes ago, CoF said:

Mbulu slotted right in . 

I was going to say that he would come in for Hartley next week, but they are both suspended, so more changes at the back.

Given that only a late change of circumstances meant I was there yesterday I feel quite fortunate to have been present for what was undoubtedly the performance of the season.  It was as good as it was unexpected.

In contrast to some I thought we started relatively well but began to fade a little after the twenty minute mark.  It was a concern then that we'd been the better team but hadn't really thrown a punch in anger. That hasn't been uncommon in home games this season.  But fair play, we went on to put that concern to bed. Another concern I had when seeing the line up was the physicality of our midfield but it didn't prove to be that much of an issue, although perhaps Liam Grimshaw might take a huge chunk of credit for that.  By the end it appeared Aberdeen players on their left wing looked totally intimidated and shit scared to go into challenges with him.

A very well taken opener by Johnson. I think the whole East Stand thought he'd taken the wrong option by not passing to Campbell but he handled the situation magnificently and finished with aplomb.  The second came along at just the perfect time.

The third was similarly well timed as it put to bed any hopes of an Aberdeen come back and it was just unfortunate that we couldn't add to that, particularly with Grimshaw's effort, which would have been a just reward for an excellent display.

Results elsewhere would prove it to a very important win.  I can't remember when it was but saw at one stage that next above us in the table a few weeks back were Aberdeen in 8th place something 8 points ahead.  I genuinely struggled to see how we might claw back such a deficit, yet, without getting ahead of ourselves we can go to Livingston next week (with the added confidence of knowing we've already won there and great start to the season or otherwise they've not beaten in either game we've played them) knowing we can cut that deficit to 8th place to just two points.  Quite an incentive.

Much work remains to be done but an excellent response to Ibrox and a much more like the evolution of style of play that I think we hoped to see this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

In contrast to some I thought we started relatively well but began to fade a little after the twenty minute mark. 

Good post Andy although I'm not entirely sure about that.  Over the piece, we were by far the better side and thoroughly deserved our 3-0 win.  I thought we started brightly but defended poorly and the Dons had 2 maybe 3 avoidable chances to score.  The midfield looked out of sorts defensively and poor Grimshaw was left totally exposed down our right side.  However shortly after our first goal they sorted themselves out, showed more belief in themselves, and worked that bit harder off the ball to close attackers down.  

Credit to the management and team for bouncing back after a morale sapping hammering at Ibrox.  It really was a team effort with no failures, but Grimshaw was my MOTM after a shaky start. Great to see Mbulu come in and do a good job against very physical and streetwise opponents.  Turnbull had a quieter game but impressed nonetheless and scored a perfectly struck goal despite what Derek McInnes said about it.  Gorrin too didn't look out of place when he came on.  Certainly  Turnbull and Bigirimana added much needed creativity to the proceedings.  If we had a fault it was lack of pace, but we already know about that.  Certainly to have so many injuries and still field a strong side was encouraging - could we have done that last year?  I wasn't in the least surprised to see Gillespie come in and play well, as he was signed as a first choice keeper.

As expected the media has focused on how Aberdeen lost.  They have conveniently ignored how physical they were (no doubt to justifably combat our roughhouse style of play).  John Beaton let them off with murder and the likes of McKenna, Considine, Ferguson and May took full advantage of a referee who was out of his depth.   Campbell's yellow card was ironic considering what had gone on previously.  Credit to Campbell though - he battled well against bigger and more powerful adversaries. 

All in all a great result and an encouraging display.

• Like 1