2018’19 Game 13: Aberdeen (H) Saturday 24th November 2018

Yabba's Turd

First time Robbo summer signing played a part.

Gillespie: prob the first 2nd choice keeper we have had that is good enough,  when you lose a keeper of Carson he looks a great addition when you look at guys like Griffths, Hollis and Neilson 

Mbulu: Looks like a real prospect, early to judge but looks like he adds pace and composure at back

Rodriguiez: Did job asked when he came on to protect lead, not saying he is a first choice but good squad player

Johnson: worked hard looked fitter and 2 good goals.

Sammon will never stay beyond loan spell.

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

A very well taken opener by Johnson. I think the whole East Stand thought he'd taken the wrong option by not passing to Campbell but he handled the situation magnificently and finished with aplomb.  The second came along at just the perfect time.

The more I watch that goal the happier I get, not just with the goal itself but for what it says about Johnson's current and future confidence. He could - and almost certainly should - have passed, taking the easy option for a striker struggling for game time and without a goal for a while. The fact that he obviously made up his mind what he was going to do early on, and then had the belief and the ability to execute it is surely exactly what anyone wants in a striker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Maybe the first indication that strengthening 12/18 actually does make sense ?

I think Robinson made a good point in one of his post-match interviews when he said that players we sign are either youngsters, lower league or guys that can't get a starting place in their team. That inveitably means that it's going to take some time in training to get them up to speed and, ultimately, find out if they're good enough. 

It wasn't that long ago that some people on here were moaning about how Grimshaw was a waste of a jersey - and he'd already proved in a previous season how good he could be with a bit of game time.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I think Robinson made a good point in one of his post-match interviews when he said that players we sign are either youngsters, lower league or guys that can't get a starting place in their team. That inveitably means that it's going to take some time in training to get them up to speed and, ultimately, find out if they're good enough. 

It wasn't that long ago that some people on here were moaning about how Grimshaw was a waste of a jersey - and he'd already proved in a previous season how good he could be with a bit of game time.

Grimshaw played well yesterday was my pick for man of the match ,got to remember this a guy who captained Man U reserve team and moved to Preston  for big money . He is very inconsistent but I think you get that with a player who plays in a number of positions but you would expect with his experience he would be a first choice every week for us . Maybe a run at right wing back is what he needs .

47 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

What did McInnes say about Turnbull’s goal?

"“We looked for a response but the subs never offered much to change the game and the third goal came from a ricochet but it was no less than Motherwell deserved and we have a lot of work to do ahead of the cup final."

5 hours ago, Electric Blues said:

The more I watch that goal the happier I get, not just with the goal itself but for what it says about Johnson's current and future confidence. He could - and almost certainly should - have passed, taking the easy option for a striker struggling for game time and without a goal for a while. The fact that he obviously made up his mind what he was going to do early on, and then had the belief and the ability to execute it is surely exactly what anyone wants in a striker.

I think initially Campbell (?) was blind side of Johnson — who no doubt could hear our screams to centre the ball and was probably thinking where the fuck is the guy I’ve to square it to - and when he did turn the Aberdeen defender he saw a way through to goal and took his chance well. So in short I don’t think he should or had the chance to square the ball into the centre. 

Sportscene seem to have a policy of not mentioning David Turnbull. He scored against St Mirren and it was all about Samson, scored the goal of the weekend against Dundee and they didn't discuss it at all and tonight they didn't even show his goal during the discussion and decided to single out Rodriguez praise for some reason

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights. Small margins as always. Had Shinnie taken his chance early in the game it could have been very different but he didn't and the team responded fantastically after the Rangers defeat.

Very pleased for Grimshaw. Thought he was a stand out when Baraclough signed him the first time and for all he did not hit the heights last season he still made a valuable contribution. 

Was left scrathing my head with the waste of a jersey comments at the start of this season. Delighted that  he has had the chance to show we he is capable of.  Wouldn't it be a shock if Gorrin turns out to be a player as well and Robinson (once again) shows that he actually knows what he is doing. 

Great result. Let's hope the team can kick on now and the players and manager get given the breathing space they deserve.

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights. Small margins as always. Had Shinnie taken his chance early in the game it could have been very different but he didn't and the team responded fantastically after the Rangers defeat.
Very pleased for Grimshaw. Thought he was a stand out when Baraclough signed him the first time and for all he did not hit the heights last season he still made a valuable contribution. 
Was left scrathing my head with the waste of a jersey comments at the start of this season. Delighted that  he has had the chance to show we he is capable of.  Wouldn't it be a shock if Gorrin turns out to be a player as well and Robinson (once again) shows that he actually knows what he is doing. 
Great result. Let's hope the team can kick on now and the players and manager get given the breathing space they deserve.
Grimshaw strikes me as a player who, perhaps more than most, needs a run of games to allow him to demonstrate his full worth.

I'm sure it isn't coincidence that it was only after McGhee gave him a run of games towards the end of his loan spell, the run he got around the Scottish Cup Semi Final and his current run that he's looked at his best.

Large chunks of his Motherwell career have either seen him battling to get in the side, struggling with niggly injuries or if he has been involved it's not been sufficiently long enough to make any impact.

He's a player I've a lot of time for so I'm pleased to see him involved and making a contribution.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

"“We looked for a response but the subs never offered much to change the game and the third goal came from a ricochet but it was no less than Motherwell deserved and we have a lot of work to do ahead of the cup final."

Seems fair enough. It did ricochet of the aberdeen player to find it's way to Turnbull. He still did well to finish it though. 

47 minutes ago, superward said:

Seems fair enough. It did ricochet of the aberdeen player to find it's way to Turnbull. He still did well to finish it though. 

I think so.  Johnson and Main did will to keep pressing the defence and when the ball broke to Turnbull he had found a good position and hit a good shot. 

Michael Stewart once again showing his total ignorance of anything Motherwell related. Talking mince about Rodriguez  being one of the main reasons Well are looking better recently. He hasn't played for about 10 f*****g weeks due to injury. I think somebody told him Turnbull has made a difference in midfield and he saw a number 23 on his shirt and assumed that this must be this guy Turnbull. His only contributions  to punditry is to argue with Thomson and talk shite about HIS interpretation of the laws of the game.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pepper said:

I think generally speaking Michael Stewart is one of the better pundits, but there is no denying they (and I say they as I'm willing to bet he was fed duff info from the BBC's backroom staff)  made a right pigs ear of it last night. 

Aye, I don't think Stewart has anything to do with the highlights package.  Much more likely a producer gave him the clip and told him to talk about it for 2 minutes.  

It's amazing what a couple of results can do. Totally unexpected on Saturday and I need to take my hat off to Robinson and the players. They have again proven that on their day we can beat one of the better team in league. My confidence in this ability had been lacking given the start to the season but hopefully we can kick on after a horrendous start. Interestingly Dundee and St Mirren have started to up their game so we aren't totally out of the woods yet. It was getting to the point where I thought we might be isolated alongisde them and just trade blows.

When the line up came through on Saturday I had no idea what it would look like tactically I thought for a while it would Mbulu at RB but it looked like Grimshaw was actually RWB in a makeshift 3-5-2. To be honest it worked really well and I need to credit Robinson for improvising. It was great to see Mbulu get a start too. I thought he done very well. Other special mentions go to Johnson who provided what we have all been crying out for upfront. Grimshaw was excellent and Turnbull again showed that he is good for a goal. Was encourgaging to see Rodriguez back too who I think a few folk had unfairly written off. All in all a fantastic afternoon, I thought the atmosphere was rocking too so credit to the bois in the east for that.

• Like 1